How to fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke Gréagóir, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Updated 10/2018 with current postings in this thread below my posting. Put here for quicker reference.

From Warrior B'Patrick
    Greetings all. There has been a change to fishing that does not seem obvious unless you have read the R58 notes or turned into the Livestream. In my earlier post above I said to put the glyph in the fishing skills tree in your hot bar. It does not work that way anymore due to the update to fishing and the soon to be many types of bait and lures. Now you must put the bait/lure in your hot bar in order to get the glyph so you can fish. Right now the only thing you can fish with is worms. Soon though there will be many types of bait/lures and 4 types of areas to fish. Now if they would only let me fish while sitting down and drink a beer while doing it.

From Alley Oop
    Greetings! Just started playing but cannot figure this out yet. I talked to the crafting trainer Marissa and have the Fishing Skill at level 1, Fishing Rod is shown as Equipped.

The problem is, I cannot drag Fishing Level 1 to the Utility Hotbar. It won't allow me to drag it like other skills. Anytime I click it says "You have already learned this innate skill." in the chat box.

Thanks in advance... hope its just something silly I'm overlooking!
    it was just changed a couple of weeks ago in preparation for new types of bait coming in. drag the actual worms onto your noncombat bar.

———————

Old information for historical reference is below, current info is above this.

I helped a few adventurers tonight with what I did to get fishing.

I bought worms from the Fishmonger in Ardoris, bought the skill from a skill trainer, equip the fishing rod in your hand, put the fishing pole in your skill bar - wait! put the SKILL in your tool bar (I made that mistake myself). Now when you are relaxing and press the skill, the cursor will highlight green on the water where you can cast and catch a broken skull cap!

After helping Vermifuge I thought a lot of people

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    mhberglund, Net, Azareilia and 24 others like this.
  2. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Although I was very sleepy, I think it was Lord Vermifuge that I bothered this morning to teach me how to fish. Thank you!!

The one other thing some folk might need to know to the secret of fishing is that unlike the other tools you actually have to equip your fishing pole!
    So sheath your sword, set aside your staff and grab your fishing pole!
    :cool:

:oops: Oh dear! I need to apologize. It was Flientje Vantmeeden, not Vermifuge (I knew there was a V in there somewhere!). I still am so glad this thread has been written.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  3. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

And important safety tip:

Visit the trainer and train fishing before gathering all the equipment and travel to that hidden fishing retreat far from a trainer...

4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

There's a growing pile of mob corpses I beaten to death with my fishing pole.

I.e.: remember to re-equip your weapons once you're done angling.

Derium, 3devious, Witcheypoo and 13 others like this.
  5. Berthar Ironblood

Berthar Ironblood Avatar

I was a while checking what I was missing untl I realizes that I need to equip the rod.

6. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

Same here. There first time I thought equipping was to put the rod in the deck.
    So yes, open your paper doll and put your fishing rod there.

7. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

Great guide to fishing.

What trainer will teach a new avatar to use the fishing skill? Blackmoor, Adventurer Trainer in Ardoris will not teach Crafting skills.

Where is a friendly Crafting trainer?

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Acred like this.
  8. iceolate

iceolate Avatar

Right! So does anyone still play this game? Trained the skill, I have some worms & i bought a fishing pole. I'm sitting by the river where I saw a soldier that asked me for a salmon, which I didn't even know I had.
    So... what am i missing. How the f do you actually fish, please?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  9. Daedwax

Daedwax Avatar

To use the skill - Press K, Click the Crafting tab, click on fishing, grab fishing glyph/skill and Place on bar, Activate to cast your line at desired point.

10. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all, so a bit of clarification on fishing.

1. Equip your fishing rod in your inventory. It does not have to be put in tour hand. It equips just like all other crafting tools. Also on that note, try to get an artisan or prosperity fishing pole. A regular fishing rod has a durability of 100 so after 100 cast you will need another. An Artisan or prosperity tool does not decay.

[​IMG]

2. Go to crafting skills (K) and click on the Fishing Skill. Drag the Fishing Glyph to your non-combat bar. When you click on the fishing glyph in your bar a red circle will come up and turn blue when you point to a spot you can fish in. Change fishing spots frequently. The chance of catching a fish will decrease the longer you fish in the same spot.
    [​IMG]

And lastly.... During the last Livestream a fishing update was discussed. There will soon be 4 types of water, OK 3 types of water and 1 lava. Along with more types of fish to catch. Work on your fishing skill now so you will be ready!

11. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

You will need to be next to water that's deep enough to swim in, like off a dock or a lake... Have worms in your inventory, equip a pole either by r-clicking>equip or drag/drop onto slot in fishing skill window... Drag/drop fishing icon to your non-combat bar (I use #1 slot), press #1 key and you will equip the pole & the casting target come out (move it around until it's green), then click to place it, the timer should start counting down... Have your chat window open and the text will say what you caught, and it will be placed in your inventory or say you caught nothing... If you have the skill turned up, your skill should go up each time pretty fast until you hit 30 or so, then it starts to slow down... watch the % if it gets too low move to another spot, but you can drop the target from pretty far away, so do that until all the % are low before moving to another spot...

If you have your decks set up with your equipment, just re-equip your deck and your weapon returns... I have 2 set up, one with my Halli, the other with my Bow, so just my weapon changes... and if you change while out of combat, you lose no focus too...

You can dig your own worms if you mine a mud node...

12. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

now are you saying physically move to a new spot, or just cast in a new spot, remaining still?

THE HENDOMAN

13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I usually cast to as many spots as I can reach before moving entirely, and I also wade out from shore if possible, you can fish as long as you're standing on solid ground...

Kaffe Nightbreeze likes this.
  14. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Thanks for the "How" Is there a "Why"? Fun works as a why. Is it fun?

15. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I'm pretty sure you just have to have your pole in your inventory. Once you activate your fishing skill via the skill bar it auto equips your pole.

At least that is how it used to work as I used to roll with my pipe and beer mug in my hand slots for my city deck .

Ardoris is a great place to level up fishing as there is water everywhere and craft/vendors to sell the spoils.

Once you skill is high enough you can cast down from the top of the canals. Otherwise, a trip out to the islands off the harbor, then just circle them while casting. You can cast 3-4 times from one spot. Keep moving and casting, and find a good podcast to listen to.

16. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

You can harvest a lot or cloth and leather scrap. Which helps leveling up those skills .

Currently, the fish recipes are not worth it, but you can earn a slow trickle of money selling the raw mats once you level it high enough.

Usually I butcher the fish and sell them to NPC's .

You do get the occasional rare loot, ancient ring, black peral, etc .

17. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think it's relaxing, just like fishing in rl... sit back sip your brew... All the items I pull up, I just scrap, they're not worth much, and I craft so the scrap is worthwhile for that, I break open many boxes/barrels to get scrap... It cuts down on the resources you need to make refined mats...

If you equip it in the skill slot, it doesn't count for item count/weight limit... but you do need to equip a new one when the old wears out... do the same with all your crafting tools...

18. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Excellent, I must have it equiped. I have the pole of prosperity, so it doesn't wear out.

Any news on if fishing poles will be craftable again? They were in some of the early releases.

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes and keep watching R58 will start to brink a long awaited updated to our basic fishing system online. We don't know too many details but they did mention, more water types, bait, fish type, and even certain poles, trophy fish that have weights and fish may have a who caught them well maybe the trophy will. I'm looking forward to more details coming. I would think poles will get a recipe since they mentioned different pole types. Fishing in lava would burn up a regular fishing pole.

20. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I think it will be fun in R58. Right now there are too few options so I find it boring. I can only catch nothing at all, a salmon, a bass, a trout or something useless like an old boot. Apparently there are some rare drops (like a ring), but nothing that would make me fish for hours on the off chance of getting one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.