Why are Crowns Tradeable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brian4, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Not going to repeat the detailed postings I made on the last topic on this subject :) But will just say that except for the tiny amount that drop in loot, port have been paid for every COTO in game in some way. If there was a vast COTO duping exploit or other means of obtaining them going on to supply these player vendors port'd be all over it as it would be impacting directly on their bottom line....

Elwyn and Witcheypoo like this.
  2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I do understand your post. You said you bought coto the first month without knowing it was cheaper in game, so did i just like many others ;p. Thats why i mentionned you hehe. I bought over 150 coto full price just to get some in game gold at first. I also remember the website wasnt very clear, i bought the 100 coto bundle and said it was Bought in green on it, and at that time i tought because i already bought it i couldnt buy again (didnt try, thats why i went direct to the 50 next). Maybe thats something that could be more clear for port. Im not sure why its written Bought on the items, it really feel like you cant buy it again.

3. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Ahh its not "Bought" but "Got it!"

4. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

the coto market behaves mostly as it should and has for the 2 years or so I have been watching it based on the basic principle of supply and demand.

only port creates cotos.

all the cotos on vendors are bought some how from port.

the player vendors do not create cotos.

or are you saying port gives the player vendors cotos for free as well as selling gold on the marketplace?

there is no way for us to prove or disprove that. you either believe that port is scum or they are not.

so please come with evidence and information when making serious charges like this rather than roleplaying as a furry and pretending your "woodchunk nose" means anything to anyone outside of other anthropomorphic fetishists.

Elwyn and K1000 like this.
  5. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

There is a Kobold in Mud named Bopyk. He has a quest for you.

6. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

All micro transaction games are about the whales. I can't explain it as that kinda post gets removed.

Whales have endless money so why not let them buy stuff for everyone. They buy COTOs and the rest of us relieve them of COTOs by trading them shiny things that we can find by actually playing the game. Now we all have COTOs and can get things that would otherwise cost us money. That's the name of the game. When you buy COTOs from venders you are fleecing the whales, when you buy them from the store and sell them you are the whale. Why in the world would you want to stop this flow of money? Everyone benefits across the board.

And btw, COTOs are pouring into the game now from the "REWARDS PROGRAM". ahahahahahahahah sorry, everytime I think of the people paying $9/month for a tile it just cracks me up. Anyway There are a thousandish people in the "REWARDS PROGRAM" and each of them gets I think 9 cotos so 9000+ COTOs a month entering the economy every month. That's not nothing.

7. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Right now there's no reason for you to do so, unless you don't want any of the possible rewards from the telethons and Friday live streams, which is fine. People sell those for IGG too.

If everyone felt like you, the costs of COTOs will go up considerably, because nobody would be bringing them into the game in any appreciable quantity and you'd be looking at trying to buy the dwindling supply of COTOs for 20,000 to 50,000 OR much, much more from those who are buying and selling them.

Elwyn likes this.
  8. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

And there are probably at least 6-8000-ish leaving the economy, between the 3-4 each person more than likely uses for potions (above and beyond the ones you get along with the cotos), and a similar amount for full equipment repairs, whether artifact or regular, so... there's that

Witcheypoo and Nelzie like this.
  9. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

It's not just a title. The amount of COTOs is better than what they offer on the store for the same dollar amount. They are going to include additional items, maybe unique weapon, armor skins, plus dyes and other bonuses for being a regular subscriber.

In six months, when many of those awards start being handed out, maybe more people will start subscribing... maybe they won't.

It would be nice if the awards are unique to subscribers who've been subscribed X number of months.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  10. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I'm currently using mine solely for property rent and things off COTO vendors. I probably will never sell them on the market for IGG.

11. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

I have 4 accounts 2 for me and 2 for wife we sub all four of them and now outside of that I have no reason to give money to port but i still do.

Also, I'd love the price of cotos to go up it would help those who invested into them for profit. And then Port could would have something people really do not need but would still buy giving Port a revenue. I just found out today that cotos were given with discounts in the past which I did not know of either. And once again it seems most people are only concerned with what they can make off of something. Which i don't mind at all. I would just like to see something you can only get from Portalarium to Help them fund things without having to pay big $$. I'm talking about an Item that is cheap, needed/wanted and can be bought at low prices

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  12. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

HAHAHAHAHA! That quest is awesome and the reward would be "fitting" to this thread! thank you! you made me giggle!
    Witchey

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  13. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

That's basically how supply and demand works. If everyone stops buying COTOs from Port, eventually these vendors will dry up as players buy and use/burn COTOs (for repairs or cosmetics). As vendors run out of COTOs, in-gold price will rise since demand will exceed supply, all the way up to a point where buying IGG on RMT to buy COTOs from player vendors is more expensive than buying COTOs straight from Port.

The fact that this does not happen means that players get COTOs from Port (store or bundles or whatever, which increases supply) and sell them to exchange vendors , who then sell them back to players for a slight profit (to meet demand). Everything is working as intended, basic supply and demand, economy 101.

PS Not to mention that buying IGG on the RMT to then buy COTOs on vendors is a huge hassle and a potential risk (RMT scammers). So unless in-game vendors are much, much cheaper, it's just not worth the hassle and risk and thus much easier to buy COTOs from Port.

Scanphor and Woodchuck like this.
  14. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

If you really want to make COTOs more valuable, buy every COTO you find on player vendors and destroy/stash them somewhere forever. That will drive price up like mad and everybody will rush to buy them from Port instead. Rinse/repeat :p

15. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

Good Idea but I'm not trying to make money off this game or any item they have in it. I was curious about the cotos and wanted to hear from the community their thoughts on it. Right now I'm on this brainstorming kick and trying to come up with a decent idea/plan for Port to make a recurring revenue for themselves and not something for us/the community to make a profit off of.

16. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

The current COTO system works really well. They just need to make COTOs even more valuable by giving them more uses. The more uses (the more COTO sinks there are), the more valuable COTOs become (because demand excdeeds supply), the more Port sells COTOs.

I do agree they need to monetize better. They already have a good system in place, they just need to boost it.

Random ideas that may or may not be P2W, given your perspective : you can use a COTO to enchant a pickaxe/tool to mine/harvest X% faster for the next 100 nodes. You can use a COTO to lower duration by 10 instead of 20 on a failed enchant, etc. Stuff like that would burn COTOs out of the economy real quick. Basically time-savers/quality of life enhancers for crafters/gatherers would be a great way to get COTOs out since the crafting economy is entirely player-based.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Boo Ladedada likes this.
  17. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Honestly...

• Rent payment
    • Artifact max durability repair
    • Equipment max durability repair
    • Buying potions to increase specific abilities
    • Buying add-on store items
    That's already a lot of uses that burn up cotos... I have a subscription, and already have no problem burning through at least 6 of the 9 cotos I get each month repairing items and buying potions, never mind buying store items.

Scanphor, Elwyn and Nelzie like this.
  18. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

They need to give whales a way to burn a huge amount of COTOs in a quick fashion on one-time uses, even if it's minute quality of life improvements (use a COTO to smelt ore faster for the next 200 smelts or whatever). Basically a waste of money for almost all of the player base but for a millionaire for whom dollars are worth very little, it could be a huge boost of revenue to Port at pretty much no effect on players.

Boo Ladedada likes this.
  19. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

It was a very calculated price. "Lots of people want to give us $5 to get the free telethon awards. How can we get them to buy more?"
    Answer: "Rewards Program, $9(?)"
    I'm sorry that's $108/year which is insane to me. Glad others pay it thou cause it funds the game. I'm done with the RMT except for expansions. Whales have bought me a village bundle and I don't have any desire for anything bigger.

20. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

It is way cheaper, that's what makes no sense and why I laugh so hard at the "REWARDS PROGRAM" aahahahahahahaha, sorry can't help myself. 100k gold is like what $9 now. COTOs sell for less than 4k gold so $9 gets you like 25 COTOs? so 25 VS 9? Is my math wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.