Why are Crowns Tradeable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brian4, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I completely think that this is intended use of colored Coto.
    If they weren't sposed to be deco, why are they so perty?

2. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

Yes, and of course, the result is totally faultless. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry, but if millionaires cAme up and flooded the market, they wouldn't only sell COTO for the reason you said. They would buy massive amount of gold coins, and fund this game with massive amount of cash when buying a lot of bundles, deeds, etc...

But sill, EVERYTHING is a proxy in a RMT environment.

In the end, every other successful game have only unofficial and prohibited/unsupported RMT between players (yes, even Eve Online, CCP just took many actions against that, not so long ago). I'll just let you figure out why and how.

Or no, I won't. I already told you why : RMT are Pay-to-Win by nature. The big guy who get the big stuff can sell the extra and get an economical advantage. The newbie who buy the big stuff can use it and get an operational advantage. The only persons who are screwed are those who don't use RMT when those are permited. That said, if I were to be a millionaire, I wouldn't RMT on every other game, simply because the account could be deleted by the publisher. And I wouldn't RMT on SotA because any value here is going down like hell. It's as simple as that.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  3. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Can someone explain what RMT is? I keep seeing the acronym pop up, everywhere, but no link or explanation as to what it is. Even as a first post in a thread, that is how it shows up.

It would be nice if the first use of it in a thread by a poster took the time to spell out what it meant and then subsequent uses were simply the acronym. Sometimes I am guilty of failing to do that myself, but I try.

Blightlord Knightmare likes this.
  4. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

RMT = Real Money Trades

This acronym is generaly used to speak about in-game items/experience/account trading between players with dollars, euros or any other real currency.

One of the biggest exemple of RMT game is Second Life.

Hornpipe likes this.
  5. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Incorrect.

Pay to win is defined by GETTING AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE that you cannot get without paying.

Taking a shortcut does not have to be an advantage in itself, when refering to getting money. Would you classify World of Warcraft as pay to win? Because i can purchase gold there too, DIRECTLY from Blizzard , they even promote it. Yet there is not a sane person on earth that would call wow p2w, i wonder why that argument only fits when its suits someones agenda.

Almost every single item in this game, except the Kickstarter exclusive rewards, you can get ingame without spending any $$ except the base game cost.

Now i know that you will argue with me on this one, and you might not agree with me, but it is what it is.

6. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

No, it's not. And you simply can't prove your point. It's only your interpretation of the Pay-to-Win expression, which is restrictive, while nobody never gave any official definition of what P2W is. Then you don't have any authority on this topic and you can't confirm that this expression has to be restrictive. By the way, most players probably don't like the fact that you can pay real currencies in order to get a faster progression. Because, you know, in the first place, we are supposed to have an ingame progression with play time, not money. At least, that's what all the polls out there are showing.

PS : WoW doesn't allow RMT but if you google "is Wow P2W", you would find a large amount of insane persons. My favourite quote is this :
    *facepalms*

7. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

RMT happens even in games where its forbidden. It's a billion dollars industry for a reason. Given that, i'd much rather have a system where devs get free money by acting as middlemen (see coto system description).

Kain Darkmoor and Arradin like this.
  8. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

No, i very much proved my point, you just dont agree to it / Don't listen to it.

You claim that its pay 2 win that you can buy money, i said that its not correct, with the broad defenition of pay2win, and the biggest MMO there is as an example.

You can buy money directly from Blizzard in WoW with $$
    You can buy level 110 token in wow with $$ ( Imagine if Port sold a adv lvl 100 token, lol )
    You can buy gear in wow with $$

Yet again, no sane person would classify lol as a p2w game because of one simple reason. It doesnt give you an advantage. Where is the advantage in a sandbox game with no ending, and no concrete example of something to "win" ?

You can't claim something is p2w when there is nothing to win. This goes for all MMOs out there, none are classified as p2w because no dev is stupid enough to give someone an unfair boost. Hell, even things like Eve Online, who drastically handicap you if you do not pay, is STILL not pay 2 win.

Yet somehow, Sota is because of Decorative objects? Give me a break.

Besides, its the person making a statement who has to "proove" himself, which you are yet to do.

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think theres such a stigma with p2w because is was birth from a negative perspective.

Reguardless of the definition, if you CANwin without paying, why does it matter?

Arradin likes this.
  10. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

If I remember correctly you can buy time tokens from Blizz (1 month playtime) which you then sell to players for gold. Essentially a similar middleman type currency like COTOs. Its an important distinction as far as inflation is concerned since no new gold enters the economy by the devs.

Could be wrong tho havent played WoW in a while.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Id ike to see that! It would be hilarious if it set you to adv level 100 but didnt actually give you any xp. People who baught it would be demanding thier money back all over the place!! :D

Nelzie and Arradin like this.
  12. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Fine, imagine if port sold " 100 million XP " Tokens ;)

Nelzie likes this.
  13. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

No, you sell the token to the auction house as a middleman for a set price determined by Blizzard based on availibility, not to other players directly. and they advertise the going rate for the tokens when you buy it. So they directly sell you a money token and encourage you to sell it on the AH.

But yes, like the COTOS, exactly like the cotos one would say.

( I can also buy gold directly from other players in wow... )

14. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

From what I understand though the gold comes from players, not Blizzard. IE when I buy a time token, no new gold is created in game.

15. opTi

opTi Avatar

Was it possible to create AND own a POT (not a small area with a few properties but a metropolis) without spending real money?
    No?
    If I say that owning a POT metropolis is the only goal and relevant game content, then for me the game is unfortunately p2w.

While it is still not a p2w by definition but an essential part of the game is not available to everyone. And that makes it a p2w game for a part of the community.

Of course, this is just one example, I love my row house in Solania. And when I think about how much work is involved in the creation and decoration of a POT, it drives me crazy.

16. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

That is correct, but its the same in Sota? I cant print money from Portalarium? Maybe im missunderstanding you, if so i appologize

17. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Ah yes, Pots is an issue. But a paywall doesnt have to be pay2win. A paywall to me is to block sertain parts of the game if you dont pay, but it doesnt have anything to do with Winning. I.e it doesnt effect ME if YOU get a pot.

A perfect example of pay2win is World of Tanks when it first came out. If you went premium member in World of Tanks ( Paying $$ monthly ) , you got armor piercing shells , that you could not get unless you were premium.
    Now THAT is pay2win, because if effect everyone else, and it give you an unfair advantage to WIN.

Elwyn likes this.
  18. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Ahhh ok then yes same thing :)

Arradin likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Awww...

Im not so onboard with that one .-.

Jaesun and Arradin like this.
  20. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Your math is fine but your reasoning is flawed. The thing you are missing is that the monthly rewards program cost $9 for 9 COTOs AND the monthly telethon items (plus some misc obsidian potions, titles, dye, etc).

I can sell the monthly telethon items for 100k+ IGG.
    • If I sell my 100k+ IGG to get my $9 back then the rewards program gave me 9 COTOs for free. (Hard to beat that.)
    • If I use my 100k+ IGG to buy 25 COTOS in game (4k each) then I got 34 COTOS (9+25) for $9 (Also hard to beat.)
    UPSHOT: The monthly rewards program is actually a pretty sweet deal. (When you factor in the telethon items.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.