Just the little things... QOL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steevodeevo, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

As a bit of personal therapy and I thought maybe it could be interesting - even useful, I would post tiny irritations as they occur to me that seem unnecessary in terms of game-play and immersion and would be easy to fix but would make a significant difference to enjoyment. As they occur to me I thought I would add to them to a list, but I would love it if others chipped in, maybe put me straight if the gripe/feature is necessary or adds value, and posts up their own non contentious foibles. I mean really basic stuff, not whether we scrap the overworld map!

- The time it takes to eat food. Why does that bar have to creep up so slowly? what purpose does it serve grrr! Couldn't it easily be twice as quick and nothing lost?
    - Hide locked inventory items! I like that I can lock them so that I don't accidentally scrap or sell them, so why can't I hide them?
    - Lock items to bags! Especially for clothing outfits. How about we can put them in a 'dance party' or 'ranged combat' bag and lock them to the bag? At the moment when you change outfits they all spill out again into the main inventory and if they are locked, they fill up the entire first page or two before you get to the items you're interested in..
    - Optional tick box to load map as part of scene load. I find the 10 second screen lock up after I enter a Scene and load the map to be immersion breaking and annoying. Personally I would rather wait a few seconds longer for the scene to load if the scene opened with a functional map loaded.
    - Getting stuck on stairs, even in my house. I can't run up stairs without jumping like a baboon. Even in my house I have to bounce up lest I get my toes hooked on the next step and stutter to a halt. Can't it be made that stairs are an exception to terrain, which needs to be climbed, and treated as a surface so we can run up smoothly.
    - What's in my bank? Hmm, ... Do I still have that nice spare sword or those potions left in my bank? I've no idea as I'm out in the booneys and I can't see my bank until I'm next in town. Before the global banks i would have been against this idea, but now why not be able to see what's in your bank as a tab on inventory but just a view?
    - Utility Bars that are tied to Combat decks/ builds. I appreciate this is a lot more work and may be contentious - one of the cerebral challenges of SOTA is to manage and compromise the plethora of options into limited decks and the pain of what is available in the Utility bar, but it would be great if I could have a fishing belt, a melee and magic combat belt and a farming belt.
    - More harvest angles on trees! I'm ok with most of the other harvests and of course ore is embedded in rock so has to have a specific approach, but trees? Why do I so often walk all the way round the tree to harvest it when I was just a tad off of the right harvesting spot when I clicked it? Why not have 2 or 3 harvesting points per tree?
    - !Why can't i repair locked inventory items without unlocking them? I lock them as they are important items I use or wear, hence I need to repair them, but I have to unlock them (such as from the paper doll) before I can drag a repair kit onto them grrrr!
    - !Water harvesting! (but I believe a fix may be on its way), but so is Christmas..
    - !Un-climbable river banks.
    -
    !Doors! I've noticed some swing towards you, often jamming you against scenery, while others swing away from you when entering a room. For my part if they always swung away from you, whatever direction you're heading, I would be happier..
    -!Why are books always the wrong way round? When you take a book from your inventory to place it on a shelf it is always spine away from you. To place it on the shelf spine facing out you have to rotate it 180 degrees, every time.
    -!How did I forget this? Harvesting failures! Why do we have them at all? what purpose do they serve? (if I knew I would't complain). Crafting failures I sort of get, plus we loose fuels, so there are consequences. But how and why do I fail to skin a bear, chop a tree or pull up a bulb of garlic? Further, why do I do so at all when my skill is 95%+? Why, when I fail once, do I tend to fail twice in a row (used to be 3).
    -!Not being able to lock glyphs onto the bars. I'm forever dragging them off, swapping them over and getting into a right mess. I don't mean 'locked glyphs' as in the 'heat' combat system, I mean just a simple lock button for each of the two bars so that you can't accidentally pull glyphs off and mess everything up.
    -!Overworld roving encounter mob pulls are still an issue (post R57). Possibly a very specific one which may be a network or programming challenge: When I use potion of wolf speed and blaze up behind and past a mob at speed I can be half way to the next zone before the mob even reacts. I am certainly well beyond the new reduced pull radius when I see it react, yet I still get pulled in. Clearly there is something out of sync between what I am looking at and what the mob is doing and what is triggering the 'pull'.
    -!Crafting & Vendor windows not wide enough or stretchable to see what it is you are selling or how many, or in the case of crafting, the item type or its level.

More as I encounter em (!) all minor stuff, just things that grate on me and maybe would make a big difference if considered? Please feel free to drop in your gripes!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

Always chew all your food properly helps the digestion process.
    Yes Please
    Yes Please
    ehh
    Yes Please
    Yes Please
    Yes Please
    Yes Please

3. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

Loot not stacking in inventory.

Banked loot not stacking in bank.

4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Do NPC's respond to the "time" trigger yet?

"Go find a clock" could at least be a default answer... :)

5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yes +1

Holy Cow HUGE YES +1. This has been around for ages and is extremely annoying.

Yes +1

And if I may add my own, I mentioned this in another post, but I will share here as well. When we die and are ghosts it would be immeasurably helpful if we could utilize doors and ladders. I have been stuck in dungeons and sewers numerous times because of this and it is annoying!

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I agree but here's some comments:

I think Chris said that they are just going to redo the whole map system and you'll have them locally on your machine. Not sure when, but that will be nice!

Getting stuck on stairs is a bug specific to your house. You need to bug it right where you are getting stuck or it won't ever get fixed. I did it in all my houses and it's about 98% fixed now, with one little tiny spot that's probably going to be there forever. If you already did and never got a reply, do it again. Ever release there is a list of houses that got things like this fixed.

Until that happens, you can make your life a LOT better by just figuring out the location to run to before clicking. On maple, it's just to the right of the lowest branch. On Pine, it's almost directly under the highest cut off branch (there are three, find the top one and stand under it when you click the tree.) There is even a way to do it on cotton, the tuft at the top should be curving to the left as you look at it.

If take the time to learn this you will be thanking me (and the person who taught me, sorry I don't remember who it was) forever. :)

7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Great post as always!

Wreckognize likes this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Now that they have the tech for global banks -- i.e., access any bank from any scene -- they're just one step away from a Portable Bank Access Device.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Here's a few from me and others I've heard:

Failing on making boards when you are GM carpenter or any other things. Failing should not be an option on that. What is the point of raising it then?

Batching only works on certain items and not wood pulps grrrr. 20 at a time.

Cooking tree only has one skill and nothing new ever.

No recipes that give intelligence.

You can no longer freeze a target. That's from Lord Baldrith the Ice Mage ;)

Went to pick up a little bag off the floor in my music hall and picked up the 'hard to stack bleachers' from the bottom floor. double grrrrr. (that will be a bug report) ;)

Maybe more later if this is a little things UI improvements thread. I'm not griping as much as voicing quality of life things to help us. The quest thing is another. A player asked how he knows which quest line he is on and what could I say? I said I don't know. Quest lines in colors in the book or the words love, courage, truth. after to state which quest line this involves.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  10. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I've been updating the list (!) in the OP. I've no idea if updating the OP notifies folks who may be interested (assuming any are :)) but I'm dropping you a line here just in case it doesn't and as the last several are amongst my biggest gripes but fixing them would surely have minimal (zero?) impact on game-play and immersion and solutions (I have feeble IT skills) should be easy to implement one would hope.

I am updating the first post as these issues crop up as I often forget them once they happen until they happen again and drive me nuts once more - hence the purpose of the OP (therapy and hope of s solution).

11. smack

smack Avatar

Ok here's a suggestion:
    When using a crafting station, your inventory window should not only show the items in your inventory, but also any storage containers on the property and perhaps even your bank.

It would reduce the running back and forth opening and closing chests, searching for items, taking, placing, re-placing ingredients, etc repeatedly. You use a crafting station and don't have to worry about those manual steps. If you've got the ingredient anywhere on you, your storage containers or bank, just double click to craft and you're done.

Would also be a great way to very quickly tell if you don't have a particular ingredient without forcing you to manually run around and search each and every container on your property or your bank.

12. Trevour

Trevour Avatar

Good post.... nice suggestions. My quality of life ideas would focus on combat. Two minor changes that would my combat much more fun for me. (1) change the color of mob name plate to grey when they die. Lower the name plates from standing level to knee level. When, I am surrounded by a dozen baddies I need to know when to stop swinging my axe. (2) make the damage numbers for me start at my waist and float down. You see that 300 point crit number float above your head, now I have to examine all the mob name plates, mine and my party to see how to react to the hit.

Couple simple changes that would make combat flow better for me.

Thanks

Ataniiq and Steevodeevo like this.
  13. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

How about when you are in a party and a member's buffs cover the name below it in the party list? I find it rather annoying.

14. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

More than annoying when trying to heal the group .....

Synergy Blaize and Brewton like this.
  15. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

-! Only being able to craft 20 items at a time
    -! Only limited to selling 50 items to the vendor at a time.

Edit: @Steevodeevo Feel free to add these to your list if you like.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  16. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Hi @Brewton, thanks for these. I was not intending to compile a master list, as it were, as I don;t want to assume editorial control for what is a glitch/irritation needing a fix and what is a game change that may have significant impact or be contentious. I am just hoping that our Dev lords and masters may peruse this entire thread and perhaps take something away from it, plus i'm being a wuss :)

Brewton likes this.
  17. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Ever tried to skin something in real life? It's very easy to fsck up a cut / skin / widdling, mis cutting boards happens to. Then you have to get another piece of wood.
    Failures happen.

18. golruul

golruul Avatar

My biggest gripe: why aren't tree leaves/branches/pillars transparent when they're between your camera view and your avatar? It's a nightmare fighting in forests. I spend more time fighting the UI than I do fighting the mobs.

When I get home I need to see if there's an option to disable leaves/branches. If there isn't, can we have this option as a workaround?

Witcheypoo likes this.
  19. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Pick a side dude.
    If waiting 10 seconds for a map to load breaks your immersion why does instantly and magically knowing what you placed in your bank not?

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  20. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Yea but you get another go infinitely at the skin and it works, eventually. As for the tree, can't say I've ever seen anyone feck up cutting down a tree :) But as I went to pains to say, the OP is just my views.

Witcheypoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.