Fishing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Sep 17, 2018.

?

Whats your opinon on fishing

1. Yes, they should devote a ton of valuable resources on more fishing in SOTA

50.0%
  2. No, there are vastly more important things these resources should be spent on.

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Im excited about fishing ... hope we get a rewarding and enjoyable system ... with many surprising catches .

2. Floors

Floors Avatar

After many such threads like these, I would like to see some improvement to the forum software.

I want each poster to show when they last played, how many hours in game they have so we can see from who posts who actually plays and who are just forum gremlins.

Because alot of things get said that to me, don't reflect the reality of the game.

3. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Time played doesn't equal moral high ground or invalidate other's opinions. Plus, then you'd see a poll asking if devs should waste considerable time and resources linking the forum to the game api.

Verit, MANTACO, Amelli and 1 other person like this.
  4. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

My champion of fishing! @majoria70

It's been too long waiting for this. The suggestions came in on this forum, page after page after page of suggestions and now after 3 or so delays the devs are stepping back and taking a look at fishing. Hazzah!

The system the Devs were talking about is quite complex. Too much for me but I will welcome it none the less.

The part that bothered me from the last livestream was DarkStarr talking about no combat encounters for fishing. I was stunned really and it didn't sink in until just the other day. Was he hitting the 'Corpion juice again? After all the players talking about getting sea serpents to fight and then he said no combat encounters and that fishing will be quiet and for friends to gather truly devastated me. I was so wanting combat encounters with fishing.

I left LOTRO because those devs ignored the players on housing requests and fishing (and end game stuff). YES fishing and then I found SOTA in it's early stages around R7 or so. I was sure Garriott and his team with Starr would surely do the job right with housing and fishing. I still believe it but no combat encounters in fishing? A time to gather with friends??????? What is this madness?

I still can't believe what I heard.

Is the monster of Hilt Lake now no longer?

I applaud the fishing polish but can't fathom the lacking Starr spoke of.

And we need small boats to work asap even if we have to wait for the larger ones.

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

No, but it does allow me to tell at a glance whether you're actually a real player or not, or just one of the many people that pontificate from on high while not actually being a player or seeing how the game works now.

And that thread ought to be locked like this one should be

6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I'm glad there are folks excited about this. I don't fish in game so it's completely redundant to me and a waste of time, but I would say the same about anything PvP related as well. At the end of the day, if there are people that enjoy it and want it, so be it.

Personally, I would have thought the quest and story overhaul to be a bit more important, but what do I know? I'm sure there are players out there who don't give a hoot about any of that. I also think we all could stand to be a bit more respectful of each others opinion. Regardless of how much money people have spent on the game.

Remember...

[​IMG]

7. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

People would need to care what people who looked at those stats thought though. I suspect they wouldn't. Also "this isn't my main" competely disables it's usefulness, since they can't then go log in on their main because: only one forum account.

Verit likes this.
  8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Im exciting about fishing coming too.........in Elder Scrolls VI.

Dantuin and Cordelayne like this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I get that you are just worried about the game and you don't think the fishing update is a good use of resources at this very moment. It will soon be over though. I never want you to not have your say. I just want this update done as I feel it should be just as you feel it shouldn't be done. I have agreed with lots of things you said in the past on other aspects of the game too I imagine. So let's just carry on. I am not shouting you down. I am not saying I'm always right. I just want this update done but you can be loud about not wanting it to be done too. You are just worried and concerned. I get that.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    calkano (PAX) likes this.
  10. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

The two options are very sensationalized and dramatic. I would have at least done 4/5 options with varying degree of importance. Its been well communicated that fishing was going to be tied into the new water updates. Not sure if "splash" and swimming will have made it in also like ive head, but I think people really should chill out.

several months ago people were complaining systems like this is "too simple" for a game that was "launched", I also heard during this upgrade they modified the attributes system to allow for item morphing? ie attributes that indicate size of fish etc etc.

Isn't rounding off fishing in this way while getting the water updates etc in to an already existing skill that can pretty much be utilised in almost any scene of the game (not one or two scenes) pretty efficient and good bang for your buck?

Even if you don't like fishing, woudnt it be nice to have people doing these activities in the town you live?

-----------------------------------------------

{And as per usual, the hero's over on the forum I will refuse to name are trashing people in here and spelling their names wrong and insulting people's intelligence.

What kind of upstanding community are you trying to portray over there?

I thought you guys were going to leave once you all got the game boxes?

Are the players and community of a game that you "hate" so much really that important to you?

Spelling names wrong of players and developers is no high ground you pretend to stand on.}

And by the way, the game servers are still online and this project matures more and more everyday.

Be a part of this journey or not. But creating a community that exists to destroy this project and mock its playerbase is the literal definition of wasting ones time.

We all know you all will still be around in a years time. Boy won't that suggestion be controversial. Say what you like, but you know its very likley.

I should make another bet and make it a yearly occurrence.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  11. Keldorn of the Vale

Keldorn of the Vale Avatar

Mate, this isn't your playground. Simmer down. Not everyone has to or agrees with you. Get over it !!!!!

Cordelayne, Dantuin, mass and 2 others like this.
  12. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I am not sure if any of you are GNU/Linux users here, but SotA is now already almost 3 months UNPLAYABLE on GNU/Linux. Yes lets focus our main priority on Fishing...

I do get that fishing needs work, like I said I love fishing. And do this once in a while in every scene I come. I fish, wait. Catch a fish or not. Sometimes I fish up a piece of gear and mostly nothing at all.

But does it need a very high priority before other things? No, I would either implement some updates slow and steady as an extra on the upcoming months.

13. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

The only person implying that total focus should be fishing was OP with the dramatic loaded poll. Don't get pulled into the drama Freeyo, in reality its likley just a small component of work being done.

Tiki Pirate and Feeyo like this.
  14. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

No. I like fishing, just like I like crafting in general, but there are many things, both in design and mechanics, more important for this game than fishing.

Jaesun, Verit and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

"Giving a man a fish is easy. Teach him how to fish and.."

I've always appreciated fishing as a nice counter to a hard day of gaming content. GMed it in UO, and being casually lousy at it in RL

But imo, emphasizing it in SotA as part of a major update is flawed.

If it's worked on in future by an already diminished team, it'll makes me feel worse.

Why?

This ---> All those man-hours could have been spent on making the game expand horizontally (in terms of skill/build variety and depth), which is what a niche MMO like this shud be working on afaic.

Nuff said, fishing is going to happen. Just felt that there are more things to prioritize.

Ready your rods, and light your torches.

Signed off,

Fishing Enthusiast

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Voted yes (though I really don't get this fishing thing) for two reasons. 1. The questions are suggestive and hence pointless. 2. It seems to be important for people for reasons I can not fathom. But if it makes people happy, why not?

Cordelayne likes this.
  17. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

It could very easily be a gateway skil technically speaking in regard to tech and finishing that of which already exists in game could allow them to then think about another cool planned skill the tech allows and all this talk about priorities ends up being rather ill informed and mute.

The game is growing. Embrace it!

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think fishing can absolutely help to fix the ummm...mess, that cooking is at the moment (with 90% of recipes being completely economically unviable pointless, and there being a mysterious imbalance in bonuses - lack of int food). Seafood adds int! BIG imbalance fixed! Also, I want sushi.

It will also be nice to have another non-combat activity.

It remains to be seen as to whether this will be lucrative to do or not.

Based on this I've answered No, not because I don't like/want fishing, because I absolutely think it will add more non-combat progression to the game (sorely, sorely needed)

-but-

Sota has historically placed a very strong emphasis on "burn fight kill" being the only viable gold-earning methodology and all other means to do so via crafting etc. are quickly stamped out.

I use the example of the brewing system, which was really promising but got nerfed straight out the gate, we were told this was temporary and it would be fixed, and it has not been and looks like it will not be and and is now well, a flop, at least in terms of a meaningful non-combat activity.
    (Yes, I know you can make profit on whiskey, but this is something that takes you a couple hours to set up and then you wait for a month minimum, not a recurring activity by any means - not something you can log in and spend time doing every day).

Another example of where this went wrong was the addition of boars, boar carcass, and bacon which, even after being revised, is completely economically unviable / pointless to make and still no recipes exist for the obsidian carcasses.

I sincerely hope that fishing, and whatever new cooking recipes /crafting recipes / rewards that result from it, are WELL CONSIDERED regarding viability.
    I am more than happy to help review these from the player/crafter perspective, comparing costs to output, etc I want fishing to be done right, I want it to have a purpose, and add something meaningful to the game, and not just be 'something roleplayers do'. I think it is a waste of time/resources to implement some huge system that nobody will use because they're still better off eating the 3-4 preferred foods everyone eats.

I know there are some die-hard fisherman out there, who will fish because they like fishing, and that's totally cool. For the rest of us, there needs to be a point to it or I don't feel its a good time investment.

19. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I mean, dont be suprised tresure hunting etc will be possible after some of the tech in fishing.

Im sure they have their reasons for scheduling things like they do.

gtesser likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The thing this game needs the most is more worthwhile stuff to do besides grinding monsters for XP, and fishing can deffinately be one.

And if its one of the easiest new content to add, then it SHOULD be something added sooner than later

Verit, gtesser, Cordelayne and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.