No Binding everywhere!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chatele, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Which is the worst mechanism Clue!

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

So it seems like what they're going to do is allow you to teleport to all properties in your property list, and to add any city you visit in person, probably by talking to the TC.

But I don't think anybody has mentioned what was NOT said. They have not said anything about being able to teleport anywhere and everywhere. You won't be able to create a rune to the middle of a dungeon somewhere. I'm certainly fine with that.

If they're going to do this, I'd like to see the friends list thing be removed. Just leave teleports to party members only. Or add guild members, that makes more sense than the FL anyhow.

I doubt they're going to do this, but I would like if they had "runes" that were single-use teleports sold by someone in each town, perhaps the deco merchant or TC. Then you could (gasp!) have sort of a regional economy by buying a bunch and selling stacks of 10 of the most popular towns for some amount of profit to people who either can't be bothered or ran out. You would of course still be required to first talk to each TC once to enable use of that town's rune. (similar tech to the 100 gold thing)

The best part for Portalarium is they would be a gold sink. They could also first require some alchemy to turn a "town symbol" into a "teleport to ___ scroll".

Astirian and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  3. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Wonderful idea for long term players that have already explored the overland map thousands of times and are getting tired of running across it and loading yet another scene in order to just get where they want to go. Thank you for trying to clear the clutter that detracts from a good player developed game and turns it into a player punishing game. I play to have fun not the anticpation of having fun.

Witcheypoo and FrostII like this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I don't believe they would disrupt any of the play modes, while playing in "friends" mode, I'm sure you would still be able to "teleport" off the friends list...

What will be added is being able to "bind" to multiple TCers/properties you own, and the skull poles (hopefully the inside pole to eliminate at least 1 load screen)... If there's no pole, then you'll probably have to walk in, such as the "rise"... The limiting factor as I see it, is spending rl money to purchase spots or ingame gold to bind to a spot... All the tech is in place now, and very little is being added...

I can imagine that you will still need to use a scroll and "recall", but a menu will most likely appear for you to choose from a list of spot you have bound too... Teleport will most likely not change at all...

I will most likely continue to use the overworld map as I can already get to where I want to go, without any problems at all (now that I'm not sucked into CPs each time, it will be very fast for me), I know all the roads now, and won't be willing to spend rl money, nor ingame gold, just to be seconds faster... There are many resources in encounter scenes, and I can get them without fighting the bosses...Gold nodes are plentiful in these scenes, and Silver respawns very quickly in Vertas pass... Now that they've fixed the progression, I'm getting many times more ores than before... Many times more Beetle carpusses and Sued too, are popping more plentiful now... I've received 3 counts of Tin/Tungsten/Nickel too... So, I'm pretty happy with the overworld map...

Reminds me so much of "Ultima" of Old...

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I clearly said "I'd like to see", but nothing about any expectation of them actually doing that.

Was anyone talking about that? While I could conceive of the concept of some sort of game store item being the only way to do a certain type of teleport, I can not conceive of Portalarium doing that in this game.

6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@Elwyn Clearly you need some rest....

FYI,
    I mentioned this in my 1st post... Did you not read that? Sorry for angering you more... I hope you feel better soon...

7. Blackadder

Blackadder Avatar

My wish, Port would also maybe figure out how to instance the larger world so we could travel by foot or horse between each location, but give the option to overland travel... I hate to make a comparison, but maybe do it like WoW, ESO, but maybe make the towns an instance.. not sure if Unity can do all that.. just my 2 pennies.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  8. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

That's programmatically improbable at the current tech level. Skyrim and Fallout 4 etc... are relatively small, which has always irked me to be honest (not so much in Fallout). In Daggerfall, the world felt truly huge, Morrowind was an Island nation so that kinda worked. Now though, the NATION of Skyrim to me feels like the immediate surroundings of a Nordic town. Like, what you'd find in a 20km radius around medieval Prague or something...

Which is fine if the scope is small like in the Witcher, but the Empire of Cyrodiil to me now feels like an island with too many chiefs. Not a continent.

Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate etc... had map travel which gives the illusion of a great amount of distance between locations, which imho, Shroud has used this technique well in a modern context. Although I'd still only really call Novia an Island nation. It's a problem a lot of RPGs face... Divinity tricks us too by moving us around different parts of the world using Story transitions, i.e. "then our heroes sailed across the great sea in Chapter II."

Anyway, I digress. The only way they could do seamless transition from one town to another is with procedural generation and loading screens every "1km" which would be horrendous.

Elwyn likes this.
  9. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

i hope this mean we can link to inside a entrance and not be forsed to link to outside a dugeon and have that exstra load sene
    i presonaly find it to e a good move it hurts no one if you want to spend the 100 gold on recall and the $ or coto on it why not

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Wasn't it all procedurally generated? I've seen an infographic on the scale of its world, and the reason it felt truly huge is because it actually was. Maybe someday I'll get to play it.

Astirian likes this.
  11. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

It was procedurally generated, and there was some falling out within the company in changing the design philosophy afterwards to downscale scope in Morrowind to accomodate more handcrafting. It was (and in many people's opinions still is) an awesome game well worth a try, but in regards to the topic at hand was also a classic example of fast-travel ruling over a plain, boring overworld.

Morrowind and Oblivion were much more encouraging to manually travel in because the handcrafting made it interesting and rewarding to do so. Daggerfall was much, much bigger, but more underutilized because manual travel just consumed time without giving any benefits. So in that series at least, there was a real, visible tradeoff between spending extra time and resources for a meaningful overworld vs bypassing it to prioritize elsewhere.

If you feel like trying it out, the best install is at https://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN rather than the official Bethesda download which still has some problems last I heard. @Gix has some lets plays of it up on his YouTube channel, though iirc he didn't care as much for Daggerfall as the later games so it's just early gameplay you'll see there.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  12. Blightlord Knightmare

Blightlord Knightmare Avatar

Your powers of Sarcasm are legendary. Well said, basically how I feel everytime someone wants to dumb down/nerf everything. If anything I think everything should be far more difficult, take far more time, and require more thought.

Its like when a friend of mine would turn on a cheat in a game, I would think.. well if you're going to give yourself money/life/power, and speed things up, why bother playing at all, why not just have a button that instantly takes you to the end and says "You Won!" . Its not like you want to play the game at all, you're just taking as many shortcuts as you possibly can. If you can't enjoy the game and just want to rush to the next thing, why play?

I suppose those people have never heard the old saying "Its not about the destination, it's about the journey."

Paladin Michael likes this.
  13. Blightlord Knightmare

God I miss Morrowind.. last good Elder Scroll IMHO. (Although I did like the Knights of the Nine expansion for ESIV). I pray every day that Skywind eventually finished and release. Or that Bethesda sells license to someone who actually cares about the IP.

Krissa Lox likes this.
  14. Blightlord Knightmare

I absolutely adore the overworld map, it reminds me of when I used to play Zelda II: Adventure of Link. In fact, I think the overworld map is probably my #1 favorite feature of this game. AFAIC its the biggest selling point.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

Allow me to interject that Daggerfall would quite possibly be my favourite TES game if it weren't for the many, many bugs plaguing it. It was always my intention to continue playing Daggerfall as livestream events (as opposed to special 1k+ subs events) but the bugs really made it close to impossible for me to deal with.

To my understanding, Daggerfall used procedural generation to help the dev team build the game... much like it was done in Oblivion's non-dungeon areas (although manually adjusted by artists and designers). I do believe that Daggerfall randomizes objectives, items and dungeon names, however. This is an important distinction to make.

With that said, I believe Daggerfall's primary flaw when it comes to exploration was not so much how the content was generated but how unbalanced its ratio between landmass and content was. I strongly believe that the game would've been a lot better had it been much, much more dense.

You are completely right that Morrowind's and Oblivion's hand-crafted nature ensured that things that players encountered were interesting and meaningful but one of the things that I always found more appealing with Oblivion (comparing it to most RPGs, including other TES games) was how it handled its encounters with random monsters and, oftentimes, unintended-yet-intriguing AI behaviours; making the game much more unpredictable which, to me, further encouraged exploration.

Cheers!

Krissa Lox likes this.
  16. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

I was part of the Daggerfall modding community in the couple of years before there was Morrowind to split our attention and compare it to and I'm currently developing a Daggerfall-style game of my own for the Nintendo 3DS, so there's a ton more discussion I'd love to have on it through PM or The Game Room if there's interest. I was just keeping my thoughts here restrained to the topic at hand.

The link I gave Elwynn fixes a lot (but not completely all) of the bugs that Bethesda didn't get around to patching. There's also some rescue methods for bugs that do happen to not be as disastrously game-breaking. But for the most part a lot of the fun was in the replayability with the custom class generator (which was much more extensive than Oblivion's) rather than as a single, linear playthrough. A lot of the programming info plus tools and other cool stuff can be found at http://slushpool.dfworkshop.net/ and http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Hacking_Guide.

For what it's worth, I thought your let's plays were incredibly valuable for research purposes. It's not easy to find videos by people who don't already know Privateer's Hold like the back of their hand to be able to gauge how the new user experience plays out and would need improvement for a contemporary gamer. We were a lot more masochistic about what we thought was fun back in the day.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Blightlord Knightmare likes this.
  17. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Julian (LeFay) Jensen is probably the former Bethesda developer you're most missing then. If you're interesting in finding more by him or his fanbase, he did an Oct 2017 interview and AMA that link to some ongoing community projects along those lines.

And to not stray too far off topic, he had some comments of his own about fast travel on the AMA:
    "Fast travel is definitely a must-have for games of this scale. I find that it's enough to know that all the intervening terrain is there to stimulate the sense that the world is huge.The size of the world gives rise to a sense of scale more than it's an actual game mechanic. It also allows you to have scenarios, like go kill that monster or whatnot, and still have it believable that there could be a monster living in whatever wilderness location you choose. In most RPG games I've played, the monsters tends to live ~50 meters away from civilization, just around the corner. How do people live in a place where the simple act of leaving your house has a better than average chance of you meeting a horrifying end? Also, what good is a large world, mostly wilderness, if you don't use it? The player must experience it at least once to get a feel for the scope and flavor of the world."

Blightlord Knightmare likes this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

That's cool! I'd love to discuss things further but, unfortunately, the forums are not a reliable way for me to hold a conversation (neither by PMs). Reddit (PM me at /r/Gix_G17) is a better alternative for me.

Krissa Lox likes this.
  19. moko

moko Avatar

Has there been any ETA on multiple bind points?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.