Tips to Stay Organized

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Verit, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verit

Verit Avatar

I have been trying to organize all my items and am trying to figure out a good way to do it
    Do I line a room with chests ? What goes in those chests? One for things that equip to a certain slot, for instance all head gear in one chest ? Or do I sort by armor type and put whole sets in a chest ?
    ... I also noticed that there are less patterns for chests than there are symbols for signs , should I just put signs over the chests ?
    ... should i even use chests ? Are shelves or furniture better ?
    ... what goes in the bank and what do I keep on my property?

Anyone have any suggestions or organizational tips?

mass and Birko like this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Craft or purchase Trunks. They are stackable. Also, while the trunk is in your inventory, you can right click and rename the trunk.

Also backpacks inside trunks can help further organize stuff too.

Daedwax, Lesni, Witcheypoo and 2 others like this.
  3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

When I get home from a hunt, I use the different tabs in the inventory to help unload. First I hit consumables, put all of the consumables in one trunk. Then equipment, I have a trunk for items I'm going to sell and one for the items I'm going to salvage. And I just continue to go through each tab in this manner.

I like trunks personally because you can stack them in many different ways. I keep everything on my lot except reagents. But I would keep anything I tend to run out of in the bank - arrows, potions, food etc. so you can just hit any banker quick to resupply now that the banks are global.

I like to make a row of 4 or 5 trunks and then stack a few on top. Then I put stuff on top of them as displays. If you want to check out my trunk setup, feel free to visit my village lot in Novia Market. Just head to the left along the river when you enter town until you see the 3 story shogun home. It's nothing special, but you can check it out if you want.

I didn't do it there, but you can also put trunks on wall shelves if you want them off the ground.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  4. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I keep trunks on shelves on the walls over crafting stations with corresponding items. Like above the smithing table is one for smithing supplies like ingots, sheets, molds, etc. One for crafted blades and shields. One for crafted chain. One for crafted plate.

I also have two stacks of trunks that holds most of my other stuff. Consumables, raw materials, crowns/artifacts/deeds, recipes and patterns, deco, supply bundles, receipts, NPC weapons/armor, agriculture, books and paper.

I should probably keep more stuff in the bank now that it's global, but I mostly just use it as a drop box at the moment.

Verit likes this.
  5. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

I actually use the bank a lot now that its global.

I wouldn't over think your organizing really.
    Trunks are probably the go-to if you've got a housing setup.

At the end of the day though, its really up to you - the way one person organizes is going to be good for them, but maybe not for you.
    Just wing it, and adapt as your gameplay requires!

Pretty simple.

"Doing begets learning, I guess."

6. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Voila!

craftymethod, Spoon and Verit like this.
  7. Verit

Verit Avatar

Awesome! Seems like trunks are the way to go. They stack and can be renamed. I also really like the idea of using bags to keep inventory sorted.
    Now, I just need to figure out how I'll divide the items.
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Boo Ladedada, Adam Crow and Jaesun like this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I asked for purpose designed stackable cabinets during the Release Livestream before last, inspired by casks designed to be stacked.
    At first Starr said it was a good idea, but then Chris popped in and the conversation devolved to 'use trunks, they stack.'

<sigh>

Verit likes this.
  9. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

The only thing I have really sorted are my clothes. they are all in the bed room. I have 2 wardrobes (party outfits and other clothes) but like in RL those house clothes are just dropped on the bed. If I have to change quickly I just drop the stuff on the floor, pick what I need and sleep on the couch when the bed is full of clothes.

Beli, radi, Tila Tenderfoot and 2 others like this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I enjoy having separate storage for:
    • Books and maps
    • Other deco items
    • Weapons and armor that I want to keep
    • Clothing
    • Potions
    • Reagents
    • Scrolls
    • Repair Kits
    • Food
    • Crafting materials

In my row house basement crafting area I have one trunk in the middle of the room with all my crafting resources. I find it more convenient to dump all crafting stuff into one trunk that can be accessible from every crafting station rather than to have to sort my crafting stuff into separate trunks at each station.

An exception is cooking stuff, because I have my cooking station in my ground floor kitchen. There I keep my raw materials in one cabinet and the cooked meals in another.

I like keeping potions, reagents, scrolls and repair kits in my kitchen in separate small bags. You can fit 3 small bags on a shelf and they look decorative.

I keep crafted clothing in my bedroom wardrobe.

I have been stashing weapons and armor that I want to keep in a trunk in the basement and plan someday to put them on display.

Verit, StarLord and Kazar McKillin like this.
  11. Birko

Birko Avatar

Set up containers for related items. I'll use "Butchery" as an example.
    • Write an index book with key search words and place in or on your container. Name your book "Index" so as "index" becomes a searchable keyword.
    • The butchery book will have words like "Carcass, Meat, Hide, Sinew, Head..." etc.
    • You can make a subset list like "Bear, Wolf, Duck, Spider..." etc.
    • When you get back from hunting, and are ready to empty and sort your inventory, put the keyword into your filter section (which is at the top of each container gump)
    • Perhaps even write a checklist book for when you are about to leave your house with things like "garlic, pearl, sulf, recall, tele, potion..." etc so as you never get caught out in the wild and missing stuff.
    • A warning though, be careful of the evil "Take All" button when you are in filter mode.
    • If you have keywords handy, you can get away with having less containers.
    • Basically, "Use the Filter, Luke". It is a powerful force if you have the key search words organised.
    - Birko

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Verit likes this.
  12. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

Put it all in a chest and use the search function when you need something? Seems easy.

13. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

I’d like the wardrobes to have higher storage capacity, after all they are much taller than other containers.

Verit likes this.
  14. Verit

Verit Avatar

That is easy , unless I am "browsing" and not sure what exactly i am looking for. Example: i get invited to a social event. I would prefer to peruse a chest with all clothes in it. Rather than go through a chest stuffed with random items.

15. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Something I have been doing is using pieces of paper describing whats in the chests... and trying to hang stuff up behind the chests to indicate whats in them visually. One is called "animal parts". lol

Verit and moxiepilot like this.
  16. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

It would also be helpful if people posted screenshots of how they organise things, perhaps even just the layout of things like a kitchen. My "kitchen" is a chest with year old foods. mmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Verit likes this.
  17. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

I used to have a wall of six chests with symbols on shelves. But that is bulky and kind of ugly.

Now I use the Carved Figures Oak Cabinet. It's craftable. Unlike most other furniture, it actually opens animated and you can place items in it. I place backpacks and small bags. If you click the bottom of the cabinet, that will open (non-animated) for 300 slots of space. There's a similar craftable wardrobe but it is significantly bigger so I stack two cabinets instead.

I rename the bags so I can mouse over them to get my hint of the contents. I'm hoping bags will be dyeable at some point for a better visual cue.

[​IMG]

Only downside to these cabinets is when placed tight to a wall when they open the door will stick through the wall. Still works but it's visually weird.

18. Verit

Verit Avatar

I got a visual :confused: trying to imagine what is hanging above your animal parts chest. :p

craftymethod likes this.
  19. Verit

Verit Avatar

Wow, this looks really neat! :D:rolleyes:
    Seriously , very nice looking.

Dartan Obscuro and Stealth2 like this.
  20. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

If everything would fit in one chest I would do it.

Alley Oop and Verit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.