State of the quest system

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Almar, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I really want to say things to the characters. Not random crap I type that they never understand, but have the (typically) 3 choices that sometimes have different outcomes or Virtue values associated with them.

I'm tired of being monosyllabic. Help. Amulet. Dagger. This. Is. Moronic.

I'm crossing my fingers for some good solid Dramatic writing that I can participate in. No. Single. Word. Answers. Except for the Oracle test I suppose.

2. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Agree 100%

Leinad Laurelwreath likes this.
  3. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

1. The quest and journal system rework is promised with Episode 2. I believe it :)
    2. Basic programming is done. Features are implemented faster, for example player made dungeons.
    3. The Episodes are promised with about 40 hours of more story.
    4. Richard is the head of the team, isn't he? He has a Vision of story depending game play.
    5. Developers are humans, too. Humans make errors, they stand up learning from what was wrong and do things again, most time better as expected :)
    6. I always look and trust in the positive aspects of life...

Witcheypoo and jacksweather like this.
  4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Unfortunately there are a few situations, I just can remember:
    Ardoris quest with Child murderer, End of Love path with Samael.

5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I'd make quests #1 priority over pots, dungeons, anything and everything, as quests are the first most obvious issue with both new and old players

6. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

We were told that they were going to focus on that (see below). One day they will stay on track, but today is not that day.

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Quests is going to be such a huge task they need to do it while they aren't moving offices. We can't afford for the ball to be dropped on this one. I'm guessing work starts in Q4 but it's not done until later.

Or maybe it's already started. From a recent livestream or Chris interview, it became clear to me (because Chris or Darkstarr said it) why the quest system is such a mess. The one month release cycle with persistence is great for some things, but it was catastrophic for quests. First, the system was poorly implemented. Then it had to be maintained and patched and fixed and duct taped because we were already on the quests! And that led to a billion different little possible states a player could be on, including being on a quest that no longer exists!

Rough. Sometimes you have to cut something out completely and start over. I hope this time they are developing the system completely separate from the live build, and drop it in fully (almost?) finished so that they don't have to deal with bugs that exist solely because players are questing in a partially completed system.

Almar, Razimus, Witcheypoo and 2 others like this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just keep an eye out for the next quarter report from Darkstar. I’m just hoping we see quest system in that next report! :D

Almar, Razimus, Witcheypoo and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.