Decay – Perception vs. Reality and a Recommendation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bayard, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuFoo

StuFoo Avatar

I feel like a good option is to have item decay stronger on death. We need to have something for the risk/reward otherwise the game becomes too stale. It will also boost the sales across Noiva if more people are required to buy items instead of just carelessly playing the game with no repercussions.

If you think gear decays too fast...ask yourself how many times have you changed your armor pieces in the last year?

Arradin likes this.
  2. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

There's a big UI issue. Decay for a lot of players probably often feels worse than it is because it isn't obvious how much exp is at risk / how much exp was gained recently / how much total exp do they have / how much is gained killing something.

And being a ghost is boring. They should add soul eating monsters that chase the player to the ankh and inflict decay.

Arradin likes this.
  3. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Its just not true....I as a crafting like to think that crap breaking faster will make people buy my stuff but its simply not true. Nobody is gonna wanna spend significant amounts of gold on something ephemeral. People will just use random crap instead. On top of that I already wonder how much improvement that 500k bow gives you over the 20k bow.

Elwyn and Scanphor like this.
  4. Micmatty

Micmatty Avatar

A lot of people seem to argue about keeping death penalties and they always use the line Risk vs Reward and that would be fine if there was reward but really there isn't it is all risk and no reward atleast to me and people I talk to. Yes I know they updated rewards to boss types but I don't think that is far enough to get rid of the risk.

Mobs in general need to drop more stuff and more unique stuff for example they could take from UO mobs have a chance to drop a statue of the mob you killed etc..

As much as I don't really see why death penalties are necessary as I am here to have fun and escape reality and think such things are not needed but if you are gonna have a Risk vs Reward then the reward must be of equal value in my books.

Cianna, xadoor, Cordelayne and 3 others like this.
  5. Fruck

Fruck Avatar

Actually the economy could really, really use the need to replace gear. Right now gear is pretty much infinite with coto repairs. Once you get a godly set it will probably be years before it gets damaged enough to warrant replacing.

Arradin and StuFoo like this.
  6. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

There is a reward, that 3m you grinded out before would be much less exp in your pool after a decay hit if you hadn't had it. You did that grinding to earn some deaths.

Elwyn likes this.
  7. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

How about something like a -1 on all stats for AL 1-10, -2 for AL 11-20, -4 for AL 21-30, -8 for AL 31-40, etc for 10 minutes or so? Every death adds another 10 (or whatever) minutes? That would make death have consequences but wouldn't make many people want to log off after losing an hour worth of xp and get a severe hit to their equipment.

8. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Your right. Axing this system won't kill the game. I have my doubts if it would actually help the game though because we have two types of people here. Those like me who, regardless of what system is implemented will just learn to work within and around the confines of said system and will still succeed and enjoy the game and those who just complain about it. I wonder sometimes how many of these folk complaining actually have a high level character where the death decay is kinda steep. Either way, what ever new system is implemented you will have the group that complains about it and you will have the rest of us who just play the game and have fun at it. :)

9. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I solo a lot sure because I find I move faster through content solo than I would with a group and that equates to more exp in my pool in a shorter amount of time. That being said I group up as well. When markee streams I will usually group up with him and just recently I took a new guildie to UT to help him build up his exp pool. How I roll depends on how much time I have and what I look to get out of it. Solo for exp and loot and group up to help guildies or to hang out. :) :)

10. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Yes they do.

People always spend money to get advantage, Always. There are plenty of games where death make you lose your gear / Ship etc and still people spend insane amount of money on something they sooner or later will lose.

Do you want to know when peopel DONT spend money on gear? When you dont need to replace the one you have.

11. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Maybe you have to attend a dance party after death. Would be nr.1 reason for me to play risk free.

Elwyn and Arradin like this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I also would like to see gear decay faster but id like to see it made cheaper first. 15000 to 30000 per piece is like having to replace rare telethon gear. Thats like 1/5 the price of a row lot deed per piece

I want gear to be way more baught and sold but that wont happen if its super expensive.

13. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Gear costs too much to make VS the value it adds VS the decay some seem to want.

A bow literally consumes like 15k worth of resources per attempt.
    for a 2/2
    2 elven strings - about 5k each
    at least 10 gold ingots = 50(ore)X(40gold ech) = 2000 gold
    same for silver ingots = 2000

To get one critted you gotta make more than 3 on avg(27%?) (30k of strings per crit)

So 14,000 just to attempt to make a weapon. You crit less than 1/3 of them and if you dont crit you are working with a measly 100 durability. The nicest MWs use 20 each and the Enchants 15. So if you hit a 2/2 the way you want it you are probably looking at a bow that has 30 durability (MWs -40, Enchants -30). And you want it to decay FASTER?

I'd also pose that people are buying gear at a reasonable pace now and if we mess with the system there is as much chance we'd wreck the economy as make it better. I mean the cost to make a 3/3 bow without durabilty hits for failing is WAY more expensive but the return you get for using that bow is so small that its already more of a trophy than anything.

Maybe other gear is cheaper and lasting longer than bows but I think bows are in a crappy place now. And I don't even wanna talk about unicorn hairs.....

Tila Tenderfoot, By Tor and Vero like this.
  14. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

[​IMG]

ozzzmosis likes this.
  15. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Time sinking is an antiquated method of progression. It was never fun to begin with and there have been so man other, better options introduced over the years that people come to expect something different.

kaeshiva likes this.
  16. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Just remove the death penalty completely. It serves no purpose and just annoys everyone.

Scanphor and xadoor like this.
  17. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

AMEN! I was just commenting on this on another thread. Me selling bows means that there has to be a demand or bows. In order for there to be a demand for bows means they have be used up/lost/stolen/broken/worn down... etc. This is essential to fuel the crafters economy.

Fruck likes this.
  18. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I get what you are saying but here is the deal. If it was more realistic I wouldn't run around with "Super Awesome" stuff. I would use stuff with reasonable bonuses. I can make GM bows with 2x Master work and 1 x Enchant all day with Grey Pine and Leather Strings. Damn good bows. But maybe for a PvP tournament I have something more special... GM Bow, Grey Pine, Speed Strings, 3 master work, 2 enchants (crazy expensive to make but not for running around everywhere).

Tila Tenderfoot likes this.
  19. Fruck

Fruck Avatar

I make tonnes of gear and sell a lot of great stuff pretty darn cheap for other players to use. Problem is once they buy one of the things Ive made, they probably never have to buy another thing from me for a very long time.
    But this threads kinda derailed hehe. No to XP loss on death!

20. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Thats kinda my point as well, no reason to buy the nice stuff now....its just not that much better and it costs a ton to make. If it wore out even faster there would be even less incentive to buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.