Is Global Chat a bad thing? POLL ADDED

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Brian4, Sep 28, 2018.

?

Would you Like a Global chat Channel?

1. yes

68 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. no

45 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. Does not bother me

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

I'm curious as to why we have no global chat? I think this would be a great way to advertise content we would like to do?! and help the same like minded people.
    Another thing i would like to see someday is a window where we can add ourselves and a description of what we need and want to do.

Thanks
    Boo

2. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Global = BAD ;)

TIWWCHNT = see previous conversations on said topic.

I won't even Try and link all the past conversations but it's not something that's gonna happen any time soon if ever.

Laz

Net and Damian Killingsworth like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yeah lots of past threads on this. Now if people would chat away on zone occasionally it would be great. I often times try. I come into a zone and see nearby players and say hello everyone and don't always get responses. One reason is imo is players don't see it or have a second chat window pulled out with just conversation options checked. We can resize those windows uncheck all that arent conversational and not miss hellos or questions. Then the other window can have everything else we want to see. For now it is our best option. Solo players can't see it though.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I hit on this so hard.. so many times.

Ultimately.. it undermined nobles chat.

Lead argument was spammers.

Ya.

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Zone chat is there. Sometimes @Vladamir Begemot gets chatty in there, just to get people talking.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

:) Why yes, yes I do.

7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Global chat available ingame, only for those who bought a royal orb . The opposition is strong on this subject... old players with access dont want newer players to get access ...so everytime someone asks for global chat ..''people' show up to explain why it would be a terrible thing...end of the world stuff.

Witcheypoo, Gia2, Dhanas and 7 others like this.
  8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Honestly, that was a dumb thing to make exclusive. I mean, is this a game for everyone or not?

Witcheypoo, Gia2, Dhanas and 10 others like this.
  9. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

Personally, no global chat has ruined my immersion in the game. It has made me tab out of the game and constantly google things instead of living in an interactive social mmo. I remember the first time I had to tab out of the game was 1 hour after I first started - I wanted to ask where Carpentry recipes could be located (there is a carpenter in Bramble). Then it was tailoring recipes, I wanted to do taming but had to give up because I needed a collar recipe - I zoned chat for hours with not a single response (tailor is in Ardoris)…. There are hundreds more examples I could tell you about. If you can toggle global chat like all the rest of the chat channels why would there be a problem?

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I paid a lot for an orb from a higher backer, but I would not throw a fit if global chat were suddenly implemented.

Skizz, Witcheypoo, Dhanas and 5 others like this.
  11. Alleine Dragonfyre

Thank you for saying that. A public global chat also wouldn't replace royal chat or whatever it's called; it's still exclusive.

Skizz, Witcheypoo, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  12. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Like guild chat doesn't replace officer chat (in some games). They can co-exist.

13. Lained

Lained Avatar

Global chat results in spam which requires moderation and that's a waste of developer resources.

Witcheypoo and Net like this.
  14. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Well there is already global chat but only for the select few...

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  15. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

I did not know there was a global chat for people who backed the game. My opinions and questions all come from a person who started playing at LAUNCH. I did not research into every promise or exclusive promises Poralarium made. I bought a GAME because at the moment I went mmorpg.com it was at the top of the website as a trending topic, I saw Richard Garriott name in the post and read what they had posted that day. I did not know fully what a crowd-funded game meant or how it worked. I thought that they were allowing RMT was a cool thing. But I was wrong on that. I have sold things for money and tried to get into the RMT part. But that is not what I want to do in a game. More and more every day I lose interest in SOTA and it has nothing to do with Portalarium rather it is the community and what RMT has turned most the community into. Money Hungry Snobs. The only thing I see most people talking about is what something is worth or what will Portalarium give me. I know there is still a lot of people who play the game and contribute and try to raise hopes for things but when they do they are attacked by some wordsmith or RMT ONLY Player.

So I'm assuming they used the word exclusive on this orb thing so why not put it on the add-on store and let people who like the game like myself have a reason to spend more money. I want to spend money on this game but the community really sucks for the most part. which is fine I can play it all by myself if I choose too.

I have so much more to say but I know if I do the community is the reason it will get blocked or turn into a drama thread. This will be my last post for a long time. Just another NEW PLAYER, Non/Backer leaving the forums. I'm not leaving the game i love sota and IMO they have delivered a decent product and improve it every month as long as they keep doing that I will be in game.

Thanks
    Boo

And Backers and seed Investors I feel for you guys some of you just wanted to be a part of a developing game. I would have been in the same boat if I knew about the kick starter when it was introduced.

RMT only Players. I don't mind it but if your depending on paying your real life bills through playing SOTA get a job.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well then....

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I view the royal orb thing as a mere gimmik for the Dukes and other “nobility” to give the illusion of a ruling class. Extremely few big backers have them and they can only chat with each other. Not so cool as some people here are trying to make it out to be, and not some wonderful exclusive thing because anyone who belongs to a guild can chat globally with guild members. I always get help and information from my guild members via guild chat.

In the early days there were indeed a lot of discussions about a global chat and both proponents and opponents were very vocal and opinionated.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I don't think "nobles chat" is a big part of the reason to not have a global chat. As mentioned, it would still be exclusive to orb-holders.

The main reasons -for- global chat seem to be:
    Makes the game look more alive, no travelling around for days without seeing another soul, which can happen easily with our selective play modes
    Creates a place for new folks to ask questions, get to know people, etc.

The main reasons -against- global chat seem to be:
    - Unmoderated hot mess ala "barrens chat"
    - Spam of various sorts
    - Absolutely immersion-shattering

Now, there have been various iterations of trying to do a global thing, at least for the purpose of new player help. At one point it was proposed that all new players be dumped into a sort of hospitaller guild where they could ask questions and such, but the community objected strongly to this, both because a) some of the "negatives" above slipped in, such as spam, or rampant use of the channel as a guild recruiting tool, etc.

There was also a brief period where you could integrate discord into the in-game chat window, which was a sort of opt-in global chat though still subject to the above 'negatives' and contingent on discord integration. I believe something changed on the discord end rendering this option moot.

This pretty much leaves you with guild chat as your only option, which is usually sufficient for question answering I imagine, but doesn't do anything to reflect the activity level of the game.

In most games that have a global chat, it is a fairly simple thing to 'turn it off' if you're not interested, so I don't think having it here would be catastrophic - you could simply disable it if you found its contents objectionable. The problem becomes moderation - completely free for all chats can go nasty really quick.

I'd be okay with global if there was some sort of restriction on to who could spam it - ie, requires a certain account age or something or character level - but this limits its usefulness to help new folks as well as limiting abuse. Making it so you need a full non-visitor account for example is an idea, but its the visitors who'd probably have the most questions to ask!

A quandary indeed...:X

19. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

@Kara Brae , @kaeshiva , thank you for your feedback you guys say it way better then I can.

20. Alleine Dragonfyre

As a spiritual successor of UO, global chat is a no-no. When I played, there was only spatial chat, meaning your chat was over your head and the only people that could hear (see) it had to be within earshot (range). It was an immersive way to do it and I loved it. We are NOT there in this game. We have guild chat, party chat, etc that breaks this immersion already. So to say that is a reason, well, lets just throw that out the window.

Moderation? I don't see it needing any more or less moderation than the zone chats need now. People are pretty good at reporting each other and if the zone chat is a toggle, one can shut it off anyway or just block the offender. There is really very little argument against public or custom chat channels besides that, really, weak one.

Please give us a much-needed global chat and the ability to make custom chat channels.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.