Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mages in the rise??? Why

Discussion in 'Release 58 Feedback' started by scorn, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

This is all false. I've told you this on other threads as well. So please stop spreading this.

Here is what they *actually* did.

They looked at a class of NPCs . For example, elves.

Then they looked at how many hit points the different types of elves had (fighter, archer, mage).

Then they looked at how much XP each of those types rewarded on death.

Then they adjusted the HP/XP ratio.

I.e, since a 4k HP elf fighter "only" gave 11k XP (or whatever), it was "unbalanced" that a 900 HP elf mage gave 12K xp and that a 2k HP archer gave 10K xp (or whatever).

So they "balanced" things by doing this:

Fighter -> most HP, most XP
    Archer -> moderate HP, moderate XP (They got an XP drop)
    Mage -> Least HP, least XP (They got a HP bump along with the XP drop)

This is an *extremely* simplistic way to "balance" the game. It leaves out entirely the fact that different mob types have different difficulty factors for the different classes.

For example, as ranged:

Fighter -> easiest to kill
    Mage -> Second easiest to kill, but it's not easy
    Archer -> Nightmare to kill

So for *my* class, what you'd really want in this formula is for fighters to give the *least* XP and archers to give the most. I don't know how it breaks down for other classes.

But ZERO of the change made in this release had anything whatsoever to do with "fixing" the XP gains in the Rise. It simply had to do with laying down a very simplistic and utterly misguided formula for "balance" across the types of NPCs there are. They made this change to all of the humanoid NPCs (elves, skeletons, bandits, etc). Again, ZERO to do with the rise, the mage room, etc, etc, etc.

Elwyn, K1000, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  2. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

for a melee sure - for me as archer it is the other way around ... but else I agree

3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Really? I'm an archer, and other archers kick my ass. I can take down one-on-one ok, but 2+ is extremely hard, and 3+ I'll be dead before I know it. :p But I can take down fighters trivially.

4. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

if I have enough room to dance around the melee NPC it takes a while for me to kill the fighters , but with no place they orerwhelm me fast 2-3 (but I only do Tier 5 zones not hte rise (the rise all kick my a... archers, mages, ...)

Mishikal likes this.
  5. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Archers at the Rise are still easy to kill (I'm an archer), but I am having a hard time with the mage room.

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Well, to be clear, I'm talking how things were in R57 vs now. I could handle 2-3 mages ok in R57, and I could survive 2 archers (the hard ones, not the easy ones) ok. The easy ones (green for me) were annoying, but I could take them out. The harder ones (yellow for me) I could survive 2 (most of the time). Depended on how hard they hit.

I'm guessing it also has a lot to do with what skills are used, what armor types, etc.

7. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

I could pull all mages at the Rise before, now can handle 2-3 at the time. Hehe. Using light armor, archery skills between 115-130.

Mishikal likes this.
  8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I have everything (except ammo preservation or whatever it is) at 100, and ranged combat @ 110 (Specialization is also at 100). I could do 2-3 mages (pre 58) just fine. I also use light armor, with flurry & dodge @100, and specialization @ 100. But I was able to do the mages (carefully, 1-2 at a time) all the way back from R55 or so forward, at my adv level 87+buffs (96). And I didn't have anything at 100 at that time except ranged combat and flurry. I doubt that'd be remotely possible at this point.

Tila Tenderfoot likes this.
  9. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

11. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

This part is false or highly subjective at best. I find the archers to be the easiest to kill. after that fighters and then mages so I imagine if this part of your post was so subjective, I question the authenticity of the rest of your post. what is easiest really comes down to what your play style is. The reality is, unless your actually on the dev team making the changes than your guessing like the rest of us. sure they feed us stuff in the line of letting us know whats going on but its not always the full story and quite frankly I don't need them to tell me every little reason they do the things they do. I just play the game. btw, I just did Upper Tears in my stream today and boy was it tough. they definitely beefed it up but here's the thing. I am pleased with that change because it was getting boring before to the point where I was looking for other stuff to do. Now I shall come back and do Upper tears some more because its been made challenging again. Great job port!! :) Keep up the great work!! :)

12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

You seem to have some reading difficulty. I specifically made the point that the difficulty is entirely subjective and depends on how your character has been developed, what armor it wears, your playing style, etc.

Rentier likes this.
  13. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I agree with everything chris said. they can't listen to the players all the time and give them everything they want because people become emotionally attached to things and are not always right with their feelings and what they are saying. that is why they look at the data and make choices accordingly. Just play the game and have fun people...

Dhanas likes this.
  14. scorn

scorn Avatar

I haven't posted since I started this thread, I am not emotionally attached. Just merely looking at the game from an archer point of view, Unless there is a place with equal XP like the rise an archer can solo. then this is taking away from soloing. Before you even say, group, this was never about grouping it was about soloing. So if you know a place to solo equal to or better for an archer do tell.

Mishikal likes this.
  15. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Given the way things have been balanced, you'd need to find a place full of high level fighters to get equivalent XP per mob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.