Armor Durability and Weapon Durability really taking a hit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lace, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

Can we get an Amen?

Cordelayne and Boris Mondragon like this.
  2. Arpanet

Arpanet Avatar

this decay is devastating, I would be curious to know the reasons
    @Chris plz

StarLord and Boris Mondragon like this.
  3. wedrax

wedrax Avatar

The maximum is the problem, so the second. That mean you can trashing an item like a bow evry 5 day, cause you need a mayor repair evry 2 day.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  4. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Buy cheaper gear, only use your best gear for hard ****, I dunno man, where are we getting this 70% more decay than r57 figure?

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Did anyone report this on the bug forum?

6. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Here is my two cents on the reason:

1) Crafters complain that people don’t buy gear often enough.

2) Solution: let the crafters with 120 plus salvage get 50 pct resources back on what does not meet their specs and you do not need excessive decay. Melee is affected more than others especially those like me that use body slam on the “adjusted” mobs with double HP and doing double damage. Of course if they want to sell more COTOs then it’s been a plan all along. In short, between death decay and item damage we are changing this game to Shroud of the Masochist.

wedrax, sardon777 and Tila Tenderfoot like this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I just make my own stuff. Because all I ever see is completely overpriced garbage on Vendors.

9. Lace

Lace Avatar

One of my favorite Halestorm songs .. Amen ... But this decay is not an Amen lol.

Cordelayne and Arpanet like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I make my own gear for one simple reason: I don't want to sport someone else's name. If I could remove the maker's mark then I'd be much more inclined to buy gear.

Boris Mondragon and StarLord like this.
  11. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

I know this won't be popular, but I think reducing item durability (increasing its decay rate/thebrate at which it takes damage) is a good thing.

Armor and weapons just don't wear out prior to R58 - over the past month i've spent 2-3 hours a day adventuring and have only needed one major (COTO) repair on about half my gear.

At that rate I eouldn't need to replace my gear for 3-4 months.

Taht's 2-3 gear swaps a year. And that's only for my plate set - my Rise mage leather/chain melee set takes almost no damage at all.

Crafters need a purpose and melee characters need gold sinks to match the Mages reagent gold sink. We need reasons to chose to wear a set of mundane armor over epic threads when we set out on our adventures and our choices should have meaning and consequences.

A post above me said that the item damage is devastating - how so?

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

That's the thing, if you do not play much or most time spend crafting, your not going to feel it as much as someone like me who is grinding everyday for 12 hours a day. you see how some people are saying they are doing major repairs every 5 days, and some that say they have only needed a major repair a few time since persistence. Now, grind time is not the only part of the equation, being ranged and not getting hit as often in your fights makes a big deference too. Sadly, I'm a control freak and want the agro of all the mobs so I can control them, keeps my party safer and often I kill faster as I am putting them into my aoes. This also means my gear is getting beat on a hell of a lot more then the rest of the party as well.

Then we get into weapons, the decay rate on an archer using rapid fire a lot is INSANE. I major repaired a bow from 50 max dura to 8 max dura in under a month, and that bow never had rapid fire and aimed shot masterworks, its very hard on average to get a bow with both of those MW's on it, I finally made my first one about 2-3 weeks ago, and I have made TON of bows.

Rentier, Lace, Witcheypoo and 7 others like this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Mac, all respect to you, but if you're grinding 12 hours a day, how much are you pulling in in that time, converted to gold value? (I say Mats too, because I know you're a big crafter but mats is value).

You're saying you grind something like 360 hours a month (if you're doing it daily).

What is an acceptable amount of time when you should need to replace gear? 1000 hours? 2000 hours?

And how big is your stack of mats and gold in that time, the "it's now ok that I replace a piece of gear" time? Before you use it for other stuff, how much did the grinding pull in? Is this making you destitute?

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I dont gather mats anymore really, I buy them. Its not about making me poor, its about I made or bought an awesome piece of gear that usually means its got low durability that took a very long time to make and costed a ton, but its useless in less then a month when it took WAY over a month to get it.

If I made a bow that had crit damage rapid fire and aimed shot MWS with maj and min str and maj dex enchants (and if you craft you know how hard it is to get something like that), and it will only last a month? What would that bow be worth for sale from a crafter? 1 million coin? Do I want to spend a majority of my time making gear then I do actually using the gear?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Cordelayne likes this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Alright so you're saying that it's useless in under 300 hours, but it took more than that to raise the money to purchase it? Or to hit the RNG values you were looking for?

And second question, are you grinding with the awesome pieces only on the hardest mobs or do you use your awesome gear all the time?

16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I hardly ever fight weak stuff, but when I do I use founder gear and weak stuff, I do try and preserve my good gear, but I am pretty much always doing high end stuff where I want my best on to be the safest from dying, I lose over 4.2 mil on death.

ya, hitting the right stuff on gear is really hard, and trying to find really good stuff, well your paying a ton for it, and thats even IF you can find one. I have made TONS of bows, my bow MW skill is at 108. Out of all the bows I have ever made I have only had 1 that had imbued strings with aimed shot rapid fire MW and crit damage, and the enchants were the durability effectiveness and minor dex. As far as trying to find a bow like that for sale, no easy task.

I just want people to know there are many variables, and to try and think of others as well. Like playing 5 hours a month as a ranged mage vs melee mobs kiting them, then saying gear decay needs to go up because your gear is lasting forever leaves out the perspective of person who plays a lot, is melee and always getting hit, and does tanking for a group.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  17. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Stuff has to move for there to be an economy. I would be OK with the increased decay IF the difficulty of replacing good gear was reasonable. At present, as Mac2 says, that gear is almost impossible to get. How much time and money would a crafter with current design take to craft a good bow on the off chance someone would be willing to fork over even the production costs? It is for this reason I craft all my own gear. I have chests of replacements ready for personal use and would never even consider selling the stuff. I am forced to be a multi GM crafter and enhancer just to support my own melee play. Like Mac2, I buy all my mats now. I feel sorry for those just beginning. Back to the economy..... there is none for gear and the cause is the disgusting state of masterworking and enhancing among other things.

Chatele and wedrax like this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Maybe this is a prelude to specializations and being able to pick your enhancement instead of RNG it. That should make the good stuff much more regular.

I am playing adventure time much more than the last time we had this discussion BTW, and a tank quite often. Last time I was but a carpenter, but now that combat is fun I'm drawn more to the call of the road.

19. wedrax

wedrax Avatar

Yeah ok, so if it's a prelude, let's wait that is up before do change like this one, cause with the "delayed" status on things of portalarium(maybe i will become grandfather in the while and i've not a son atm), people used as human experiment and changes maked without say nothing(instead of loose 2 hours about publishing book, that involve maybe minus then 1% of sota players and for sure will not draw more gamer in sota, speak of those nice things on livestream, oh ye but maybe many then will choose to don't spend the 5$)…. before the game has to been released, now it is released… but i wait some other argumentation from funboy; All here must understand a thing, each time one of us spend money support the game, pay a part of salary of person who WORK on that game and don't do it for charity or fun or just cause they are philantrophist that want make us play for free. So wake UP people, in my country when you get a salary to do something, you must do that at your best.

P.S. Just to be clear, me and many people do things for free to help sota grown, each times someone ask help, information and cooperation we say yes(like with list some day a go), like addons that can make easy or get real gamers and players, we are working on a quest helper addon , we are making an italian community site with all the feature and guide to the game to counter all the bad feedback that game had(and not without reason), cause we trust in the game and in the potential of the game, but for sure sometimes i think there is not a clue on about what to do and priority. And btw if we criticize some game features or change is just cause that's maybe is not a great choice.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Rentier and Boris Mondragon like this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am not liking an economy that counts on sales of armor being sold as a reason to play. We are definitely missing a variable here. Hmmm loss of durability being the reason is so not fun. With this not being as much of a tiered armor level type of game well in a way it is but still less fun. For me knowing my armor is going to need a Coto fix, many hours of grinding ores and mats, or tons of gold, and then rinse and repeat. We are missing a piece to make it more fun and exciting in the whole process.

Being mainly a armor Smith or weaponsmith is a choice of course but imo we are missing a backup plan and imo vendor and selling tools. Those little missing tools that make our items for sale more unique and able to stand apart.

Off the top of my head is we need the ability to sell little bags of goods with ability to click on them to see what the bag contains. Of course craft able grab bags too to sell secret goods also.

We need armor enamels already to sell little bags of armor sets. We need more abilities perhaps in specializations skills that give us more uniqueness in what we craft.

Durability hit after durability hit is only one way to FORCE a player market but I do feel it is bad enough as is and not the only way to keep our crafters busy and profitable. Plus it is very un-interesting and not fun over all.

Rentier, Lace, Chatele and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.