My point of view about sota, how to "solve" some problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wedrax, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedrax

wedrax Avatar

This is my personal rewiev of sota problem and the solutions i suggest, is my humble point of view maked listening and speaking with who current play and in about 25 years of gaming experience on any kind of mmo.

Social and World feel empty.

1 Introduce a general world chatroom to ask help, commerce etc. cause we don't need to use discord, but is better if we use sota for that.(who whine about noble orb, you will have anyway ur noble chatroom, and the game must go forward and not be stuck by your complaint about you must be the only one that will have a world chat)

2 Make the party just an option for adventuring zones, so overmap and town must be Always multiplayer.

3 Make all zones, even mines multiplayer, and ofc increase the spawn based on how many people are zoned and active.(that will make easy also report who is botting and wont work if someone is in party mode) And ofc make spawn a 10k demon can also help to avoid people botting on gathering zones.

4 Make in Owl's Head, Central Brittany and Ardoris 3 areas where people can/have a reason to gather and stand; In each of those 3 town a portal plaza with portal for the 3 main locations, and in each of the 3 locations portal for the more important npc town of the region and for the pot owner a payed portal service if they want to be connected with magic portal to a capital city different from the one of their region. And in each of those 3 gathering plaza the Obsidian pool of vision(check crafting section for that). Put in each of those plaza a specific vendor for tokens that will come from Adventuring, Crafting, Pvp.

PVP

1 Give a boost to pvp zones and remove the bonus on exp to pvp player, just the pvp zones need to be boosted, and don't cause people must be forced to go in them, but cause more risk more you have and pvpper must always find someone to do pvp.

2 Remove the ransom and give tokens from pvp kills and body parts; Those tokens can be used to purchase titles, potions, repair, clothing , coin sack.

3 Head Hunter, special npc in random encounter that gather body parts and give you igg for them.

4 Kill System; If you kill a guild or faction that is on war status with you you will not have penalties, otherwise you will have a kill, those kills during time will make you a PK; The Pk status get the malus you can talk to npc and use npc service in blood bay and in the pots flagged open pvp.

5 Pvp random encounter, when people flagged pvp are engaged on world map a scenario like the random encounter will be generated, people can't teleport inside it but other people can join the scenario if they doubleclick on the red cross sword that will appear on the world map.

6 Avoid pvp triggering; If you damaged someone in the last 3 minutes you can't go out of a map, you can't teleport or recall and the time to logout is 1 minute. On each map even the pvp one there will be for the first 30 yard as you enter a safe area just to avoid people that camp map entrances, as before you can't enter this area if you have damaged someone in the last 3 minutes.

7 Introduce the skill tracking, that skill will guide you almost near where your target is hided, or can be used in pve to track npc etc. higher is the skill higher is the radius.

Make factions, the faction will give you bonus and malus on certain things, if you join a faction as guild automatically you will be at war with other factions and you will have the faction color, below example of what i mean.

Faction A Bonus hp+1% Malus -0,1 move rate
    Faction B Bonus Magic attunement +5 Malus -20% focus
    Faction C Bonus Critical chance 1% malus -0,5 avoidance

If a guild wont join faction can anyway declare war to other guilds with the current guild war system.

9 Guild war system, basically the guilds war will reward with bunch of token and prizes at the end of each month, and all that with a classific that can be checked to the warmaster in each of the major cities.

PVE

1 Random world boss spawn, on each game map, after a certain number of kill of certain mob a random dedicated boss will spawn, each person that partecipate to the kill, doing damage will be rewarded and that can happen just if you play in multiplayer.

2 NPC quest giver, will be like private vendors; IF double clicked will open a dialogue chat where the player can make the quest dialogue his own and set a quest reward, and it will work like the vendor inventory, really easy to make and basically can provide an unlimited number of adventures to all players. Obieuvsly with simple task, like go to sequanna colossus gather 10 corpion claw and you will have that bow.

3 Boost more who play in group, larger is the group they make, larger will be drop chance, igg flow , exp, gathering bonus and minus item decay.

4 Random goblin spawn on map, to make people explore all maps, live all maps, put random goblins that drop gold on each map, minus the map is used or explored and more chance the goblin has to spawn.

5 Revamp Control points with better chest and final unique boss, but they should be something crazy and people must tell are difficult like hell, if they want do them they must have a full group and use all the buffs, potions and things of the game.

Change something in the system; The control point will reset after 20 second of inactivity on it.
    Occupy the square: Start the event and first 3 waves, tr4-5-6 mobs. Defeat them will give access to a GREY chest lootable by all party members.
    Burn the first banner: Start the next 3 waves: tr 7-8-9 Defeat them will give access to a YELLOW chest lootable by all party members.
    Burn the second banner: Start the next 3 waves tr 10-11-12 Defeat them will give accesso to a BLUE chest lootable by all party members.
    Burn the third banner: Start the last 3 waves tr 13-14-15 and the boss that will come in the last wave.Defeat them will give accesso to a ORANGE chest lootable by all party members.
    (for the future u can continue add waves and chest and boss:p)

Improved abilities: Just let some mob use poisons and their effects:p

Basically that way a control point can be played at any level.

6 Pve tokens, a token awarded by exploring, doing bosses, solving puzzle and riddle etc. that can be redeemeed at the proper npc in the 3 major cities.

CRAFTING and ITEMS decay

1 Specialization would be great for sure; but improve the aim on bonus by using X% more mats to have certain bonus can be usefull too, and then if you make crap items or you have bunch of wrong items you can go to the obsidian pool of vision in the mayor cities spend a crown like for mayor repair and try to reroll an item for better bonus. This will improve the quality of items, will improve the use of crown etc.

2 Item decay based also on death, lower the decay on item usage and loose 1% each time you die, so play in group will be a must and people wont risk. And that will affect also wand users so wands will not be anymore eternal.

3 Obsidian pool of vision, if i put items on it and i destroy them i can get back a random % of the mats i used to craft an item.

4 Make all wearable dyable and all the craftable items have a chance to drop the relative patttern.

5 Just at the Obsidian pool of vision i can use mayor repair on items.

6 Introduce a bag where people can sell complete set.

7 Crafting token, when you craft and gather you have a chance to get a token that can be redeemed at the dedicated npc in the major cities.

POT and Housing

1 Make small upgrade purchasable, i mean NPC slot, Deco slot, portal slot etc. basically small options and upgrade,portal slot etc. then if i want more meter or a huge upgrade i must use the current pot upgrade.

2 Make pot skins for the overmap purchasable, to customize more the pot.

3 Make an option where people can donate ticket bought on store to the pot owners.

4 Make a tipjar, that can be placed on pot, or can be used by bards and beggar or on any lot where people that appreciate or enjoy something can make igg donations.

5 Make the npc pet not count as npc but have a different slot on house lot, so basically will all buy more pets, have the joy to display and show them, and make for each lot an option purchasable by cotos to add more npc slot. and even decoration slot, cause people more collect more space they need.

EDIT

Avoid boss solo farming and exploiting

Add to boss an ability called: Shout of the boss

This ability will permastun(90 second) 100% the target first in aggro then the boss will go in a fatigue state for 10 second(basically it will be stun too), the target of the boss ability can be free just if someone double click him or play an instrument near him. This ability can't be avoided. If the target of the ability can't be reached by the boss and the boss is not damaged in the next 50 second will just reset, otherwise after the 10 second stun on boss elapse the boss will **** the target of the spell.

QUEST

The possibility of drop or erase from journal a single quest, ofc with all related items, so if bugged a player can restart it without resetting all.

RANDOM MOB SPAWN WHILE GATHERING TO AVOID BOTTING

The mob will just random spawn when you pick up the resource from a resource node and just when you pick them up, then the mob will be stunned for 5 sec to give you the possibility of run away or prepare for a fight.

Removed malus to party mode.

POSSIBILITY OF BURN ARTIFACT TO THE OBSIDIAN POOL OF VISION

If you burn artifact as gift to the pool of vision you will gain luck bonus, from 10% to 100%, this bonus can be used while purchasing for igg mistery boxes sold by special NPC in each major cities, larger is the luck bonus larger is the reward you can have or the chance to drop an higher tier artifact, otherwise the luck bonus can be consumed in other way.

SHOW PLAYERS IN THE ZONE

If player are in the same zone , you will see them with the current color, the players in the same zone but instanced in party or solo will appear in grey, if they have the option to don't share location they will appear as Anonymous in the nearby Windows. Pvp players or enemy players will be show in red.

MAKE TAMING WHISTLE A BELT ITEM INSTEAD OF NECKLACE

Some player have suggested to move the whistle as belt item instead of neck item to make tamers more competitive and don't have them a so bigger malus to stats.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Thanks, great post here.

wedrax and rixa like this.
  3. Arpanet

Arpanet Avatar

good ideas, some of these ideas could liven up the game

Dhanas, Dunstir, wedrax and 1 other person like this.
  4. Friar Kristo

Friar Kristo Avatar

I absolutely agree with all! Great post and ideas! Let's hope all that is going to happen.

Dhanas, Dunstir and wedrax like this.
  5. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

I agree that the game seems empty and where a lot of your suggestions are good, I can also see a pattern of suggestions that would force people into a single style of play.
    I will not go into what I mean with a point by point discussion but here are a few example of what I am meaning.

Things like "And ofc make spawn a 10k demon can also help to avoid people botting on gathering zones." Would piss off more people than help get rid of botting.

The suggestion "Make the party just an option for map, but with a malus 33% minus resource gathering when in party mode." would counter productive as many people join gathering parties or like to gather while running about.

With this "Make all zones, even mines multiplayer, and ofc increase the spawn based on how many people are zoned and active." I can see where it might be good if your talking only resources but if you talking mobs then there could be a serious downside. Example of downside, You have a couple of groups of 8 and one group of 2 in the same zone. The zone could be overwhelming for the group of 2 or even for a person zoning in just in hopes to finding a group.

Forcing people to play in a narrow style in the end does more harm than good to an open world type game. An Example of this is, for every person that loves and plays PVP you will find at least the same amount of people that hate and will avoid pvp as all costs.

Another example would be there is just as many people that love to group up as there is solo types. Just because you like to play solo does not mean you are unsocial-able. I have been in many chats where everyone was doing their own thing, but were also chattering away like crazy in chat.

I think if you altered some your suggestions to accommodate more play styles I think it could better.

calkano (PAX), FrostII and wedrax like this.
  6. wedrax

wedrax Avatar

I agree with you some of my ideas need to be adjusted and take care of different play style, but for sure the game as it is will not be a massive game, more player it has more it will be fun. Honestly i play most of time in party mode but just cause now is impossible farm or grind in multiplayer if there are many people in the same zone; The idea of the deamon is if you are on the pc you have 5 second to run away from him, then after 1 minute of inactivity it will despawn otherwise for other can be fun kill it. In any case for each problem there is Always a solution:)

In any case yes, maybe can be just made boost or reasons to play multi without giving malus to who play solo or party mode. And as i said i play most solo or party, but for sure a massive multiplayer must look like a massive multiplayer where u find evrywhere masses of people, and in any case they should keep the party/solo mode just for zones where u farm, gather, grind etc. but on overmap and in the town must just be multiplayer.

7. probablydeadv2

probablydeadv2 Avatar

with how many itmes I have had quests **** me over … and the fact I Can not complete my MAIN STORY LINE because my love quest is stuck in some que that cant be fixed... SO NOW I have to waste MY ONLY quest reset for my to be able to get a deed... its legit the most stupid system ever that WE HAVE LIMITS TO HOW MANY TIMES WE CAN RESET QUESTS when 99% of there quests are pretty much a hit or miss if they will actually work...

8. wedrax

wedrax Avatar

I think you are right, quests need a great debug, but in most case if you open a ticket the staff solve your problem and you don't need to reset. I didn't mentioned quest in my review just cause the quest part on sota is not one of the strongest part of the game, and have tons of bug and issue that must just be solved. When i say is not the strongest part of the game i'm not intending the idea of the stories but the system itself. Cause the storyline is nice, the problem are the journal bugged, the quest tracking bugged etc.

Dhanas likes this.
  9. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

I agree with you that people should be able to reset quests more than once. As they are also changing the quests to be better from time to time, it would be wonderful to be able to reset a quest. But I would like to add to your suggestion to be able to reset the main quest without resetting all the rest.

10. wedrax

wedrax Avatar

Yep that could be a good suggestion, just drop the single quest will erase and reset it, and you can restart it, would be great.

Lady Kathleen likes this.
  11. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

I kinda like the daemon idea more now, except I tend to go mining when I am semi preoccupied with other things like reading the forums on my other screen. (as Mining can be boring) So I am not botting, but I be punished along with the bots. You see my point?

Elwyn and wedrax like this.
  12. wedrax

wedrax Avatar

Ofc but it will not random spawn while you are afk in the mine but while you are mining, in the same moment you gather up the ores from a node, the deamon can spawn, so if you are picking up the ores u can't be on forum :p

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I like the direction of alot of the ideas but i also dont want the game to be too easy.

I think the biggest issue making the world feel empty is party mode. Dont think we can flat out get rid of party mode cuz some people actually wanna play a single player MMO(?) but at least having an option to automatically enter every applicable scene in open mode automatically will help folks who have to switch to party mode to play with people and forget for hours or days to switch back to open mode

I actually end up playing by myself msot of the time BECAUSE i dont want to switch to party mode (everyone in my guild does everything in party mode).

At least some way to local chat with and/or see party mode people in a scene exclusive to open mode players. Throw us a bone >.<

Gaelis, Gorthyn, Dhanas and 2 others like this.
  14. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

Ok I will give you that one as with the added data it would be workable.

Honestly I feel Game designers/engineers of an open world game have a terrible task of having to thinking outside the box and consider all types of game play, even types that are foreign to them. I think that port has been doing a fair amount of being open minded but also have at times narrowed their view.

An Example of this is: They gave rangers a height bonus (being higher than the mob) but the last patch if you hit for zero if you gain some height. It is said they made the change to stop an exploit, but the change effected non exploiters as well.

wedrax likes this.
  15. wedrax

wedrax Avatar

That's why i added the idea of the shout of the boss, and another skill that can be done is the mob can teleport/grab you to him, so you need to run away or do something instead of just shoot safely.

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If its making you deal zero damage even if the bad guy is able to walk to you thats a bug. It should only be doign that if you put yourself in a unreachable area

17. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

I have many times switched to party mode to gather in an area where a group in open mode has dominated the zone. Then later when trying to join up with friends noticed I forgot to switch back to open for hours or possible days..

wedrax likes this.
  18. wedrax

wedrax Avatar

For sure, most of us are here cause we feel an old style game, not so easy, but we must also take count of modern time and players, so maybe if we gather up ideas and solutions we will find the way.

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think ideas to make open mode more appealing or to make everyone exist on the same plane to some degree are very important. Personally i think thats one of the biggest issues with whats making the game seem emptier than it is right now

Kara Brae, Dhanas and wedrax like this.
  20. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

There were many times while I was testing where the bad guy was hitting me.
    EDIT: I was testing in offline mode

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.