Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Can't get much further than sign in.

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Averix, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Averix

Averix Avatar

Ever since latest update, I can't seem to get further than sign in. Have tried regular sign in and sign in through steam with the same issue.
    Just gives me the screen with the green trees, bridge, stream and broken tower in the distance forever. Restarting comp or reinstalling game hasn't seemed to help.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

@Averix did you try after signing in to start on overworld map? or don't you get to that menu as well?

3. Averix

Averix Avatar

Can't even get that far, literally hangs up right after you hit sign in with either method. The interface disappears leaving you with just the picture in the background. Have left it for hours with nothing. Odd thing is, if you press the X in the upper right hand corner, it will bring up a confirmation window asking if you want to quit. Nothing else.

[​IMG]

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Try alt tabbing and change your desktop resolution to a lower one.

5. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

What operating system are you on? any more info could help to find issues

6. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

This is crazy! I have been disconnected due to congestion now 23x s in 3 days. I have rebooted my router, my PC and updated windows as well. I have never in all these years been disconnected so many times in such a short amount of time.

Brewton likes this.
  7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Please create a bug report out of it, or else they will probably not see your post.

8. Averix

Averix Avatar

Tried every step lower all the way down to 800x600 step by step, no change.
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate i5-3570k CPU @3.40 GHz 16GB RAM on 64-bit operating system.
    Game has worked flawlessly until this last update. Don't really use computer for much else besides book keeping and billing software.

9. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Try alt enter in your sota window

10. Averix

Averix Avatar

Tried, removed window and made full screen. Let it sit about 10 minutes and still no change... almost thinking hammer at this step. Is there any files to delete after removal that could cause this? Something that doesn't go away with re-installation?

11. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

Normally I would recommend a re-install of the game. Sounds like you've already tried that. Next possibility is you might have a virus program that is corrupting the installation, either by "quarantine" some data files for safety, or accidentally (bugs in the their software).

Rentier likes this.
  12. Averix

Averix Avatar

Nothing I know of has popped up as quarantined or any sort of updates or the like. It is possible I suppose. Any suggestions on how to resolve or just take hammer to computer? haha

13. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Also to add to what Lord Subtleton said -- could also be an application firewall type security program you are running- you might need to approve allowing network communication or a specific port for the game's executable.
    ..also double check your home networking gear to make sure you're not blocking anything the game needs to function.

Can't hurt to also double check your computer's time and date are correct also .. that will wreck Havoc with certificates, etc..which could be causing you issues also.

.. also make sure you don't have a proxy server set (unless you're using one of course.. and if you are, try bypassing it and going direct, if possible/allowed)

14. Averix

Averix Avatar

As far as I know nothing has changed with anything. Rarely if ever install programs on here or change anything. Will still go through all your recommendations and see. Time and date for one match my phone, will look at the rest.

15. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

If nothing else - uninstall the game using add/remove programs, delete the install directory if it still exists (backup anything you might need first of course), and to a fresh install, and patch.
    If you're using Steam, you can do an integrity check on the install by right clicking the game name under 'library', select properties, local files, verify integrity of game files.

16. Averix

Averix Avatar

Tried verify and it came back clean. Have completely uninstalled again and deleted everything along with folder and going to try re-installation again. Will update with results.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  17. Averix

Averix Avatar

Soooo.... second re-installation and everything... disabled firewall and security while installing, no change... almost thinking it's bigger hammer time. I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point.

18. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Same as posted above, logging in after providing auth yields the following:

[​IMG]

Still responsive, an alt+f4 yields a quit prompt.

Upon analysis the game folder is unusually light.
    @Averix - Go find your game folder, what size is it?

My bet is this might be the installer did a partial install and thinks it finished, and left it in an unclean state.
    In the past (R30s and R40s) when this happened it was due to sota trying to provision 2-3x its install space when updating, and nuking itself when it runs low on space.
    Check that you have 40-60 gb free on that disk when you try a reinstall.
    Going to replicate on this machine now, will take awhile to reinstall.

19. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Further Update:

A install on an entirely different system using the non-steam install worked.
    So I'm wondering if there's something borked about the current steam install/patch?

Alternatively: Could be a virus, i did get a steamguard alert the day i was doing that testing, which is unusual for me. It'd be concerning if Sota has targetted malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.