Is Global Chat a bad thing? POLL ADDED

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Brian4, Sep 28, 2018.

?

Would you Like a Global chat Channel?

1. yes

68 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. no

45 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. Does not bother me

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Because of the additional resources Port would need to maintain the system with moderation, etc. pulling valuable time away from projects like content, but fixes, etc... but of course we've been over and over that already in this thread... While it is presented as no-cost to those who turn it off - the reality is that because a percentage of players may want it - everyone would have to wait longer. So - how is this a "compromise"?

Net and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  2. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

This is not a valid reason to NOT have a global chat. Many games have a global chat and it works out fine. sure this kinda thing happens but there are steps one can take to minimize it and we shouldn't NOT do something just because of a few inconveniences. :) :)

Witcheypoo and Dhanas like this.
  3. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

It would require little to no resources to implement and maintain, as we already have examples of chat in place, and I haven't heard any problems of interference in development as a result of these chat channels in the game. So, just like the current channels, no moderation is needed nor required.

4. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

LOL Moderation is needed and required - even in the current channels - which is much less than such a global system would be.

Sean Silverfoot and Net like this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Indeed. I've heard of some horrible things going into nobles chat and needing to be moderated. Even zone chat gets a little colorful on occasion.

Jaesun, Net, Tazar and 1 other person like this.
  6. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

Wow this seems to be something that would definitely be used and for the most part, appreciated. I don't see why port would have to moderate it all. Give it to us let us of the crowd-funded game control and run it we really don't have a community so large that it can't be done. You're always going to have someone someday act up and cause mischief that's life. Make up someway for people of the community can be moderators of the channel. Now these would people would have to be neutral and most likely these people would need a separate account so there name would not be tied to their main account. Anarchy Online had/has something like this called the ARK https://www.aoark.org/ Something like this is needed and would be same as hospitallers concept but much more

Thanks all for your comments in this thread
    Boo

7. Browncoat Jayson

Again, this is not a US-based company. Anarchy Online is published by Funcom out of Norway. In the US, they would be considered to be employees and subject to labor laws. That is the court precedent, even if it doesn't exactly match laws on books. It also depends on the state in which the company is based.

Thats why we are arguing against this. Either it will be added, completely unmoderated, and be a horrible experience for the new users who you want to attract. Or else it will take a large amount of time away from a developer to perform that moderation. Players have proven, time and again, that they cannot moderate themselves. Having an open, global communication system, with no controls beyond the current /report feature, is not sustainable. Maybe, with the right tech, it could be put in place with automated features, but that requires investment and time to implement, which are better spent elsewhere.

The better option they were considering was creating a "newbie guild" for the Hospitallers to onboard new players with. This would provide chat functionality (guild chat) for a large range of players, and Hospitallers could be added as officers and remove offenders from the guild to self-police. It was shot down because its a nightmare of bureaucracy, and the guild functionality is... not great.

Sean Silverfoot and Net like this.
  8. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

then let it be a mess i think your trying to compare our community of players with that of other games and i just dont see why it would be bad you can block and choose whether to see the channel no POLICING needed

Dhanas likes this.
  9. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I am not around enough that my opinion matters. I have an orb, and 98% of nobles chat is all fine, of course, there is that 2% that think they should be able to use any type of language, not knowing who may be reading it. In the past, I know of a few people of both genders who were offended by others.
    Be that as it may, I am not opposed to a global chat as long as you can turn it off and on. As an example, some games have zone chat, looking for group chat and guild chat. If a global chat was enacted, it would be a continuous chat box spamming day and night, just too much for my liking when I played.

Boo Ladedada likes this.
  10. Net

Net Avatar

Because blocking more than few people gets annoying quickly. As the player base grows the numbers of bad apples will grow and rather than having hundreds of players blocking dozens of people they do not want to hear from for one reason or another (and as the community grows hundreds of thousands people blocking thousands of others it is easier not to have global chat). I do not see how benefits of unmoderated "mess"would outweigh all the issues caused by global chat with no moderation.
    And what about people abusing chat to sell stuff there instead over on dedicated forum? Should they really be allowed to do so and everyone who disagrees with that should block them? But what if you needed to sell something and chat spam worked better than forums where your post is buried for a week by the established rules of not bumping?

11. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

Well we could go back an forth what everyone thinks should be and what shouldn't be it was just a wishlist question request to begin with

12. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

We have a "Nobles chat", they can just use the same ruleset for the global chat, again can't see the problem since there is already the "nobles chat" in game.
    If there had not been the Nobles chat I could have understood some points, but since we have it the global chat would work the same way, everyone can buy an orb and talk in it, orb owners are not special players that do not need moderation.
    Furthermore who has problems and does not want to read the global chat, it can be disabled like all the other channels already in game.

13. Browncoat Jayson

As I noted, having it as an additional purchase would be fine as its then pay-to-participate, and if you lose access you are essentially robbing yourself. But just adding a global chat for everyone, especially the free to play crowd, is hardly the same thing, and that is what they are asking for.

Net likes this.
  14. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Agree, Trial accounts should not be able to use it ;)

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  15. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

I find Global Chat a must nowadays.

16. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I wont mind as long as I can turn it off.

Gia2, Witcheypoo, Net and 1 other person like this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Looks like they are giving it a shot! About 1 hour 45 minutes into the live stream today they said so.

18. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Totally NOT what I was expecting but I'll take it!!!

Witcheypoo likes this.
  19. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

the problem is with the people who are very thin skinned these days. we seem to be raising a bunch of people who do not understand the capability to block/ignore the people who annoy/offend them! This bothers me a lot!

I think global chat would be quite a boon for new folks and for guilds who would like more new members. It is sad when so many folks say they need a "moderated" chat. why? The worst thing you will find in there is spammers and chuck norris jokes! for heaven's sakes guys, block people who bother you, block the spammers and if it is your wish, block the Norris jokes! I for one love the Norris jokes and enjoy helping new people. I voted yes, tho i despise spammers!
    Witcheypoo

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  20. Womby

Womby Avatar

Global chat will be just like global chat in every other game. It is one of those things like chromatic aberration, film grain and motion blur that I automatically disable in every game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.