Game sold as Successor to UO vs Sold on its own merit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShurTugal, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemical

Chemical Avatar

Actually yes there are a lot of that people that are arguing that sota is not a spiritual successor of UO and it is of the ultima serie. That is one of the points he is making by stating that Richard mentioned it which isn't the first time it had even been mentioned since 2013 and even on the kickstarter page it mentions UO.

Like you mentioned UO is part of the Ultima Series and whether they say successor to Ultima or UO it's all the same to because it incorporates things from all of it. You cant have one without the other.

Micmatty likes this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Those people, I will take your word that they exist as I've not encountered them myself, are just as wrong as those that claim it's the successor to UO alone.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You really are an awesome writer. I really enjoyed every moment reading what you wrote. I always wanted this game to be my virtual home. I feel we are headed in the right direction filling in the missing pieces as we go from a very unusual form of development. Richard said it today they are determined and will do whatever it takes. I am very heartened by hearing that since being here so many years and wishing for just the right something to pull our beautiful world together. Things are coming every one. Hang on to your hats;)

4. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Thanks Maj! :) I always enjoy reading your posts.

I'm about half-way through the stream now and I'm feeling pretty positive about things I have to say! They clarified that they're fixing the current quest system right now with some new data gathering tools which is great. Then new system comes out with Ep II. I can totally live with that. The only thing left for me really is the NPC Conversation window and I'm set! :D

Treasure hunting is coming too! I am over the moon about this. :)

And for the others, no death decay! That seems huge. That and Grandmaster perks and crafting specializations! Some big big changes incoming. Global chat too. (don't know how I feel about that one yet. :)) - I should watch the streams more often that's for sure! This is only the second or third one I've watched.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'll never turn it on... general global chats are universally worthless.

Elwyn, Sean Silverfoot and Barugon like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I know why people want it, though, and it's not for friendly conversation. It's to spam their wares.

Brewton and Elwyn like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Which is the same as in every other game that has a general global chat, which is why I'll never turn it on.

Barugon likes this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I woulda rather had to be face to face to someone to talk too. way mroe interesting and personal that way and i didnt want global chat in the past. But because so many folks play in private mode and you never see them, it would be helpful to have any sort of way to interact with them, and a global chat COULD scratch that itch a bit. Still think seeing privat emdoe people greyed out on neabry players in open mode would do the job better tho.

But ultimately "numbers" are better in private mode so Open will never seem that populated.

Astirian and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

To the op.

This game started as a kickstarter and that Kickstarter would never have reached its goal without the nostalgia value of Ultima and Garriott.
    So the existence of the game (and company) is due to that.

However nostalgia is a double edged blade (of the avatar) and they should have downplayed the ultima tagline more for the persistence launch.
    This since you can’t compete with memories of what the future could have been. And because they really needed to reach a new market segment that wasn’t here for the nostalgia but rather for the game on its own merits.

For a scary experience go through your favorite movies and games when you were a teen and see that with some few exceptions they haven’t aged well.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

So true. I went back and tried to watch several movies that, in the 90's were hilarious, gold quality, but these days the jokes simply aren't funny, the acting is horrible and I have no idea how I sat through them before.

11. Kalidorn

Kalidorn Avatar

My feeling was that folks took Spiritual Successor as areally broad term not really meaning what everyone thought it was. Sota was a RPG and stand alone game of the same vein of Ultima by the guys who brought you Ultima. To me it seems like beating a dead horse over the wording. I like Sota for Sota not a game I played years ago beat and stopped playing. I always played Richards games cause I like the projects he is involved with same with Darkstarr. It doesn't matter how close to Ultima it is for me to enjoy it. Holding one game up to the candle of another just seems silly to me. I play for the game, if I enjoy the game and if not I move on. I measure games not by the achievements of past glories but by how much i have invested and how many hours of fun they delivered. So I'm at 2000 hours so as far as I'm concerned perfect or not they have entertained me way more than I've given them. But all that said if Ultima was never mentioned again It might be a good Idea for folks who think they made the same game. They could never have done that anyway EA is an evil company and they would have sued the pants off them before anyone saw a concept drawing lol.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I think what the real problem is that people are mistaking "spiritual successor" with "clone." I really wish folks would stop it already.

I see MANY hints of UO everywhere. I think, really, that's what it's about. Also, the game is designed by the daddy of Ultima. That, right there, makes SotA spiritually linked to UO.

Ultima Online still exists and is owned by a different company now. It simply cannot be a clone of Ultima Online nor can it mimic many of its established systems. Richard never implied that it would.

Elwyn, Simon LeBon and Barugon like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_successor
    I think that pretty much nails SotA.

14. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I played UO for many years and see alot of Uo in SOTA. Its not UO2.0 but an off spin of some of the best parts mixed with other things in a 3d version. Its enough to keep me going, and always look forward to every patch... they just cant come fast enough. Wish they did micro patches every 2 weeks rather than monthly or release small parts as they are completed ;)

Paladin Michael likes this.
  15. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

First I just want to thank the OP and everyone who has commented on this thread so far.

I never played the Ultima series prior to Ultima Online. I read about UO during alpha/beta on some PC game magazine sometime in 1997. I downloaded the game when open beta started in the last month or two before launch. I was HOOKED. I got roommates involved. We shared a huge house (in real life) and lived in a rare municipality in which we had cable modem access in 1997. We set up a room networked with four PCs and had four UO accounts at launch. It was some of the most fun I had in video games EVER. When we rarely get together now and visit from out of state, we STILL tell stories of what we did in UO twenty years ago.

SOTA, to me, is a spiritual successor to various parts of all the Ultimas and UO. I'm only two weeks into SOTA, so I realize I'm pretty green. I'm disappointed in this game ONLY in that I just found out about it. I'm not sure how I missed it being around so long. I WOULD have been a kickstarter contributor. But saying all that, I may not have stuck around either... or at least I would have had long months of not logging in. Early alpha sounds like it was rough. I want to commend ALL of those who have stuck it out, developers and players alike. So in that sense, I'm glad to be here right now, in it's current state. I'm never going to be a power player. I don't have the free time available in my life that I did back in the late 90's.

But my kid is playing this game (shhh, don't tell my wife about the zombies or the blood). My very best friend and one of my roommates from '97, who now lives hours away... and like me, has his own family... he is now in the game. My brother, two states away is building a new PC to get into this game. A few more roommates and friends who played with us... they are starting to check it out. I'm "virtually" getting the band back together... the one from UO... 20 years later.

I love where this game is going. IF there is ONE thing I hope does not occur it is this (and I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread): Please, devs... do not introduce too much space so quickly that it spreads out the MMO population too thin. The best part of this game is what made UO so good as well: community. We need to run into each other. Yes bigger worlds are amazing and can be heralded as achievements. BUT the biggest achievement and the one that keeps people here AND draws in the new free trialists is the number of friendly people that are willing to give them advice or hand them a piece of armor or point them down the road to where they want to go. It's important that this online world be large enough to keep us all coming back BUT small enough to keep us all coming back to each other.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Welcome home. ;)

Come talk to me if you and yours need a place to settle... I built Dawn's Keep specifically with you and yours in mind.*

* Figuratively, of course... ;)

17. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Either or?

18. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I was sold the idea of this game as a successor to Ultima Online. I was sold that idea because I heard it come from Richard's mouth saying it was definitely the way he thinks of it. (LINK 20 seconds in) After this interview, Darkstarr, director of UO, joined the SoTA team as Executive Producer providing more evidence and reinforcement to the idea of what this was to become.

Anyway, it has to be sold on its own merit, it's definitely not UO2, and, IMO, it's too bad. 100% creative freedom from the actual Gods of Ultima Online equals a project that should make many weep in joy.

Micmatty likes this.
  19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Kind of too late for that, it's already sized for maybe ten times the population minimum. When I have a 50+ friends list and the only common zones for them are UT and some popular POTs, it's going to feel empty.

Gorthyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.