Loading screens....why so many?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nomalice, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nomalice

Nomalice Avatar

All in the title. Why so many screens related to login, game selection and loading?

Couldn't we just have one screen, do our login and game selection and then go make a pot of coffee while it goes through the tedious process of loading the game?

Derium, Net, Arcanoxer and 5 others like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't understand the need for a screen all by itself with just a Play button on it.

Derium, Ataniiq, Vaiden Luro and 2 others like this.
  3. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

"So many" = 2?

4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The Updater/Launcher, The Single Player/ Multiplayer choice, The Login screen, and then the Spawn in last zone/OW map. Makes 4. Never bothered me as they all make sense.

Net and Kara Brae like this.
  5. Nomalice

Nomalice Avatar

Glad it makes sense to you. Makes no sense to me to have more than one. I play plenty of games where I log in and go directly into the game, figure it couldn't hurt to ask here about SotA.

6. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Actually im not sure the screen is needed where you only need to click "play". I run through steam.

Net and Jaesun like this.
  7. sake888

sake888 Avatar

Well, I for one log on only when I crave some real hard-core load screen action. I've played many games, over the span of many years and SoTA is second to none when it comes to hot load screen action. The way the % rate starts and stops and then stops some more...oh baby.

Ataniiq, FruityTooty, Cyin and 3 others like this.
  8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

The first few screens are not loading screens... They are selection screens and are almost instant.

Sentinel2 and Jaesun like this.
  9. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I guess the SotA-Launcher could get an option „autostart game if no update available“ (or is that already possible?) and also the first play-button is not really needed and could disappear. Instead we would start in the account selection screen…but the remaining steps are always the same...you have to authenticate, select the avatar you would like to play with and finally the loading of the game world…I see no big difference to other games. Just as others already said these are normal menus without a (at least for me) mentionable interruption. Just the last step has a loading screen (I can notice) as you are entering a scene with your selected avatar and this is also quite normal in other games...or do you really have more loading screens? (e.g. while moving from the first "play-button" screen to the authentication)

Nomalice, Ataniiq, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

There are quite a few screens when you start the game but there are quite a few choices as well. Not every game I have played has an Online/Offline option, for example. I can see that the initial screen (after Play) containing the Online/Offline choice is an unnecessary annoyance for people who only play online, but for people like me who play both online and offline, I am glad to be given the choice on a separate screen that I can't overlook. And for people who only have one account it is probably annoying to have a separate screen to log on, but many people have multiple accounts. I suppose it might be possible to merge some of the screens together, but I think that would make things worse and people would start complaining about starting with the wrong avatar or in the wrong mode or in the wrong place because they forgot to select one of the options on a crowded screen.

When starting a new world in Minecraft I can't count the number of times my grandson and I have had to delete the new world and start over because we overlooked one of the many options in the world creation screen and ended up with a default setting which we didn't want.

So I like having separate screens for:
    • Choosing Online/Offline (I play both)
    • Logging on with the account I want to play with (I have two accounts)
    • Resuming where I was or on the overland map and being able to choose which avatar to use if my account has multiple avatars

It is strange to start the stand-alone launcher, click Play and then wait for another screen to appear where you have to click Play again. That could have been implemented better.

Nomalice, Cordelayne and Jaesun like this.
  11. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

The OP does have a point to a degree. There are a few different option screens that pop up at each login and although all of those option screens do serve a purpose, perhaps a QoL improvement could be to simply add another button on the launcher to log straight into the game with the last character used on that account?

As someone who has multiple accounts and likes having the quick selection screens to pick different accounts, I can see how people with only one account and always play online would benefit from a single button after typing in your password.

Nomalice, Cordelayne, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  12. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Good idea. One screen could display current options ( character, on/offline/party, location, etc)

Then three options ( resume, start on world map, or login options )

Login options would bring up another screen), the other options would send you straight into the game .

Nomalice and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I think like some of the other launchers out there should be a auto login last character option added to the launcher where the p2p stuff is. this way it simple auto logs in the last character with saved credentials. Would eliminate all the other stuff. If some one wanted to change it they can uncheck it from the launcher and or once in exit to menu to pick another option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.