Is Global Chat a bad thing? POLL ADDED

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Brian4, Sep 28, 2018.

?

Would you Like a Global chat Channel?

1. yes

68 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. no

45 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. Does not bother me

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Nuff said. No thank you.

Alley Oop likes this.
  2. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

Sorry you feel that way but its coming regardless. Good thing you should be able to toggle it and will not have to deal with it if it bothers you too bad

3. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

will they implement a dedicated trading chat as well?

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  4. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

Well let us remember the nature of this game as well as how Chris announced the feature was going live. It will be interesting to see how it works when it is brought out, and I am sure that he will be keeping a close eye on it. So at least it is not just coming in and being dumped in and left to its own devices.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

It will bother me too bad. Global chats are the bane of every useful communication. But as I already pointed out in other posts: as long as I can turn it off I don't mind it. That's the important thing for me.

6. Curt

Curt Avatar

Could have so when you complete a path you get a channel related to it (truth,love,courage)
    Also could have regional channels

7. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

That's actually a great idea. This would cut down on any messages that many would construe as "spam" much like we have the "Trade and IGG" channel in Discord. @Chris and @DarkStarr

Dhanas, Jaesun and Black Tortoise like this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Personally I think this is a bad idea. It will devolve into the type of conversations that occur on Reddit soon enough.

Also It devalues the precious Noble's Orb, which I use to talk with the more refined Outlanders...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

im on the fence. global chat needs a way to filter spam. if its used for authentic and sincere in-game/in-character chat, im all for it. if it becomes spammy or just drolling discussions about lots of IRL things, then id rather people just use discord.

either way, i highly doubt id be active in a global chat for these reasons, but i dont think it will have a negative impact on the game if we have the option to turn it off.

the dedicated trading chat sounds like another great way to balance this. id have it off most of the time, and pop in when i need to announce what im looking to buy.

10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

*cough* you are so good at putting the "fantasy" in "Fantasy RPG" lmao :rolleyes:

maybe folks like you don't want the game to be liked by more people because your "refinement" will get further and further blurred among those of us in the masses who together have more "refinement" than the handful of original backers of this game. which, i believe, was the goal the whole time. again, im not saying the backers shouldn't always be honoured for getting the game going, however, the point was to make it a game for everyone.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  11. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

There are plenty of us non Nobility types who are equally refined but are somehow deemed unworthy it seems...

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  12. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I personally, am against global chat. I don't use nameplates, and would love to see a language learning system like Everquest had, so we could communicate in Old Novian, Elvish, Kobald, Quelian, Obsidian, etc.. but only if we trained in the specific language skill.

I'd be okay with a global chat if it had an in-game explanation, as the noble chat does, like: "Clockwork Ear of the Oracle", which can be carried in ones pocket and when used, grants access to the oracle's information network spanning most of Novia. It should have certain limitations based on in-game logic, like in this example, only operating in zones containing her watcher 'spies' which would be necessary to transmit the messages..

Jaesun, Net and Browncoat Jayson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.