Highly flawed targeting

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Keyman, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

YEP, HAPPENS TO ME A LOT, AND I HAVE BEEN HERE FOR A VERY LONG TIME, IT IS SO FRUSTRATING....

sorry for the caps lol

Keyman and MrBlight like this.
  2. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Thats what bothers me too. Its sometimes hard to get heals to someone when your in a party fighting, even summons sometimes getting heals which should go to friends in need.
    Directly targeting someone don't help with this prob.

Synergy Blaize, Keyman and Chemical like this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I was going to explain how targeting works and why it changes targets, but I thought the Player Guide explains it just fine.

Keyman and Jaesun like this.
  4. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Even if you have a soft lock target chose, if it's not in your field of view you may shoot at another target. I think the same goes for heals.

From the player guide:
    "Spells like Healing Ray will always hit a friendly Soft Lock, provided they are in range and you are facing their general direction."

5. Keyman

Keyman Avatar

Brother, I think you're so set on making it seem like it's all good, that you won't understand what I'm saying... no offense, but there is ZERO reasons why my target should suddenly change from a mob that has agroed me... is actively running towards me to harm me.. WHOM I'M FACING... who is CLOSER to me... to suddenly change to a rabbit or a wisp... NONE - ZERO - NADDA... no good reason whatsoever bro... Thank you though, perhaps we can hook up and see if this doesn't happen in your presence.

Barugon likes this.
  6. Keyman

Keyman Avatar

Thank you for posting that link. It actually explains exactly what I EXPECT to have happen, but not what I'm seeing. So, I think it is indeed broken. Thanks again.

7. Keyman

Keyman Avatar

Perhaps it's related to this same issue because it seems to show that the proper target is being exchanged for an unnecessary target. In my case from a mob who has already been hit, to a more distant rabbit or wisp that poses no danger whatsoever.

8. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Not trying to start a fight, but I've noticed, if you don't soft lock, it will target something that is closer to your center of camera over something you have already hit or something that is closer to you, as long as its in range.

Keyman likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This. I should never attack non-aggressive mobs unless I explicitly target them (i.e. double click them).

StarLord and Keyman like this.
  10. Keyman

Keyman Avatar

I don't doubt that, but in the case I'm speaking of, these are non-agressive targets in the distance or in a completely different direction than the one I'm facing

11. Keyman

Keyman Avatar

Exactly my point too... thank you...

Barugon likes this.
  12. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Video or it never happened... this makes absolutly no sense.

You are hitting what you are hitting because you are targeting it.

Your definition of targeting is what is leading to all this missunderstanding. You can target things without actually mouseclicking and selecting them. You can target with your reticle. All the targeting problems have been fixed. Whatever you are experiencing is just a missunderstanding of how targeting is chosen and done; you can trigger a spell but the moment you begin casting, the target is already chosen. So if you turn to your target after having begun casting, it will turn around and hit whatever you had in front of your reticle THE MOMENT YOU STARTED CASTING; thus turning after that point will whip your character back to the target that you are targeting unknowingly.

The target box is purely for extra information, but it in no way will make the game play itself for you. You need to target your target when you want to kill stuff; there is no hand holding here. Pay attention to your reticle. Although if you target something (actually have it selected) and its in front of you with no obstruction, you will fire at that target only IF you are facing it when you click the spell, you can move while its casting with no problem, but the moment the cast begins, the target has been chosen.

As opposed to most games that hardlock and play your character for you and make it into simple button mashing, here you actually have to pay attention.

Most will have problems with this, I know I did at first until I understood how targeting actually works. In this game, the targeting is much more complex and allows for absolute control of anything you want to do, it allows me to crowd control effectively because I dont need to tab target all the time, I just need to point and click. Especially for healing, its the best.

Now if my explanation didnt help you, there is clearly something missing here. Maybe showing us a video, perhaps we can all agree that its a bug.

Jackrabbit likes this.
  13. Keyman

Keyman Avatar

If the targeting system is actually designed this way, then my friends are correct... we are going to be constantly running through empty towns, because no one is going to want to play with a target system like this... if it is so complex that when I'm FIRING on a target that is actively agroing me, who is actively coming to kill me, who is NEARBY, who has been targeted, who is directly ahead of me, but some QUIRK of the targetting system causes it to spin and fire at a non-aggressive,non-dangerous target... brother - that is the CLEAR definition that it is FLAWED... (not yelling, just highlighting)... it is FLAWED if it does that... if it's that complicated, NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY and this game is on the way to the tank and the history books.

14. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Its not a quirk, its your bad habits that came from other games.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've bug reported it many times but have since given up. Once, after bug reporting it, they actually fixed it and targeting worked great. It was subsequently broken again in the very next release and remains broken to this day.

[edit] Also, please don't feed the troll.

Jaesun and Keyman like this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

When I was playing my archer, I never hard locked. In fact I only do that in PvP duels. Maybe that's the problem? I rarely have it auto switch targets on me when I just use Tab to scroll through who I want to hit.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Using a hotkey to cycle through targets is also hard-targeting. However, my avatar will still sometimes turn and auto-shoot a nearby non-hostile as soon as my hard-target is dead.

Keyman likes this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

According to the instructions using Tab is Soft lock.

Edit: There doesn't appear to be a hard lock mentioned in the instructions.

19. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

I do understand what you are saying friend, and trust me, i'm not at all about making it seem 'all good' like the people you are perhaps referencing, there's a reason I have to post on this account, and it's not because I've held back my criticisms.

I think this was a good explanation as well:

If you don't (IMO) use tab targeting, you can certainly experience what you are experiencing. You can still play that way, and I do often, but once you implement tab targeting along with it and understand it better, it makes a lot more sense and doesn't have the symptoms you describe.

I can spin (no tab target) and hit 2 targets with the same rapid fire, also, sometimes I fire 2 successive shots and one will hit one target, one hits a diff target standing beside it. If I use tab targeting to select my target, that doesn't happen, I stay on the same target no matter if I move, it moves, or 5 others come in between us, my attacks stay on the tab-selected target.

I'm just trying to help. don't ***** at me.

What this allows you to do, as you get deeper experienced into the game, is to actually use your movements and positioning strategically to target, as well as the ability to lock on to a single target only. It's a hybrid similar to understanding the locked deck, the static deck, and the benefits of using both together.

20. Justice Owen

Justice Owen Avatar

A lot of good information here in this thread. Thank you to all participants.

I can attest to what Jack and Ozzy have stated with my own experience.

When we started playing I knew already that the game would have free target (Cursor free mode/first person shooter style) attacking, similar to Elder Scrolls Online (soft)
    Yet meanwhile it would have target cycling or keybind targeting (hard)

What I did not understand was that using an ability on a target without intentionally targeting it - soft - would not initiate auto attack, nor would it give me any HUD/UI information about the target or it's vitals.
    The only way two ways I could get this to show up was to take a hit from a mob, then it became my target or by using the 'next' target keybind.

My error was assuming that initiating combat with an ability (we'll call them "yellow" hits) would also enable auto attack ("white hits").
    Later I found a third way to enforce hard target, and that was double clicking the target(essentially, 'interacting' with it).

I could talk about this subject for hours, however in closing, there's definitely something intricate about what they've done here and it's quite a good system. Yes sound and visuals could improve the impact of combat though that's an aside.

The only criticism I really have are :

1. There should be a next and a nearest enemy binding / next and nearest party member /next and nearest player (like EverQuest had)
    2. A UI setting that configures whether auto attack should enable by the use of any ability on any eligible target that was not previously a hard target. e.g. you run up to a mob and use PUSH. It then hard targets and you begin using white hits (i.e. auto attack).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    LiquidBlaze, Keyman and OzzyOsbourne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.