Next marketing campaign

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

i agree , only triple A games can afford comercial, 24h RG marathon stream would be epic.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  2. Keldorn of the Vale

Keldorn of the Vale Avatar

I think we have struck gold with this one, how do we get Richard involved?

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  3. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

Hopefully they reach out to imgur and get a post together to be a promoted one. that would get eyes

4. Bekido

Bekido Avatar

Problem with marketing a game thats been live for a while now is reviews. Look at all the reviews of the game. Youtubers, twitch streamers, steam reviews. Almost none are overly positive some maybe neutral but thats about the best youll see. So if you see any sort of marketing for a game first thing your going to do is google that **** up. How many are going to play once they google Sota?

Derium likes this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I can see it now, RG with all GM skills sits down to craft an uber plate mail chest piece. 24 hours later it is determined that this marathon should be extended by at least another day (or more if he wants to make some gauntlets too).

6. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

Agreed, the amount of bad reviews is kinda staggering. Hopefully they will do a lot more quality of life stuff and bring the game around to a higher standard than just filling a niche. The game quality took a big jump and it feels much better to play these days.

7. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Thats what happens when you launch / release a game that was still "in early development" the day before. The game needed more time in the oven and it still does but you can't take it out of the reviewers stomach to cook it more.

Astirian, Derium and Aldo like this.
  8. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

If they put a lot of work and time into episode 2 the review of episode two could turn the course of the game around.

9. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Maybe they could call Episode 2 Fortnight of the Avatar.

Brewton likes this.
  10. Derium

Derium Avatar

People would still need to play through episode one, which is nowhere near done. They would need the time and resources to complete 1 and 2 while also planning episode 3 all at the same time.

Time simply isn't on their side, since they decided to "launch" the game when they did. We are after all only 5 months away from entering a full year since it's release.

K1000 likes this.
  11. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

We could fund a 5 million dollar Super Bowl advertisement and other than a short blip of traffic after the game would be back to sub 1000 active users.

I love SOTA and wish it the best. Frankly poor decisions are costing us more players than we gain.

Using Steam numbers as a statistical sample, yes this is valid. It seems after each significant nerf player count drops. On releases when we get content and no nerfs player count goes up. It doesn’t take a math genius to realize excessive nerfing with game changing significance has caused population drops.

Once someone rage quits because they lost hours of work due to death decay or their once competitive and enjoyable build they worked months to develop is broken, they rarely return.

Yes all MMOs nerf, but none, in my experience, with the frequency or severity of SOTA after full release. At least none still operational.

So save the money on advertising, spend it on hiring someone to balance the game properly.

Focus on fun. Give us reasons to play. For example many people waited MONTHS for the Wyvern to finally release and be tamable. After the Ferocious Obsidian bear (GREAT) we thought the Wyvern would be a killer for those with high level specialized taming. Rather the Wyvern released very weak. Maybe this will be fixed later but the damage was done. Hype something up then release a mouse. Bad design. Even if fixed later the damage already caused bleeding.

Just one example. Countless more. Death by a thousand cuts is the story of SOTA.

Not too late, I hope.

12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I know a lot of people use Steam for numbers. IMO I don't believe it's a good sample. I don't use steam to launch SOTA :)

My .02

Elwyn and Jaesun like this.
  13. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

i stopped playing for a while, there´re no enought content each release to keep it interesting, specially after the layoffs. And as Greyfox said the nerfs piss me off, devs trying to force group content by nerfing solo content! Maybe i´ll try Sota again in 2019.

K1000 and Greyfox like this.
  14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Today's marketing of digital products like games is all about social media, dev involvement (like a blog, demo videos) and community. Its about rewarding those that make fan sites, videos, streams and tools for the game. It's about monitoring gaming sites and their forums and comment sections.

It's about either removing the game from Steam or replacing what's there now with EP2 once its launched for fresh new reviews. It's about having Port Community leaders mitigate misinformation and trolling with correct information, acknowledgement of where the game needs improvement and positivity regarding everything that is done right.

It's a full time job for several people. Berek alone was not enough. He did a great job but he was spread way too thin.

At SotaCon, one of our player panel members discussed beginning a volunteer Marketing and PR team that answers to @DarkStarr or another team lead at Port. I jumped at the opportunity to help as I have a major in broadcasting and a minor in Mktg/PR and let him know that. @Lord British was very excited at the notion as well.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.