Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Property Ownership: sad state of affairs

Discussion in 'Release 58 Feedback' started by Kara Brae, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Grinding is boring as all heck.... grind this, grind that.... blah

zyxe and Simon LeBon like this.
  2. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

True enough... But virtually any MMO I've ever played eventually devolves into grinding of some sort or another. I think it's why in WoW, for example, they started adding so many "mini-games", like pet battles and brawling. I think SOTA's still working on getting its XP paths laid out, so there's not a huge amount to do outside of that. I expect eventually there'll be more to the game than grinding.

Jaesun and Chatele like this.
  3. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I do agree with this that Grinding is very boring. That said Grinding for purpose for gathering makes sense. but just running around killing just to level is kind of boring. I think that we need more ways to get xp then grinding. Add more elements, what about improving stealth for example then putting in missions to enter a camp to get information etc. Or missions to get parts like that of the lenses where you assemble greater items, or keys that will unlock specific dungeons etc. They have some puzzles that do that now. I do think in time based on what I am seeing we are slowly getting there. a Simple mission system like many other games have gives one more things to do. Not just kill quests ;)

Chatele and Mishikal like this.
  4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The problem with the lack of land ownership isn't due to taxes being too high although this is a factor. The population is extremely low due to many reasons. This is being addressed.

Housing larger than a village size is mostly cosmetic. Most people won't spend money monthly to maintain housing if there is no value outside cosmetics for owning land.

Portalarium needs to give us an incentive to own and maintain land larger than a village sized lot otherwise people will just squat on them or not own and maintain them.

Let us pay to automate farming resources including ore on our land. The land size determines the amount of resources spawning. Simplify the gathering process. Think Star Wars Galaxy as an example.

People won't continue to spend hundreds or thousands to host a slightly larger dance party. Bundles need a reason to sell.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  5. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

(1) The price of a deed is too high for the average new player. And it takes a lot of effort to make it through the bugged out main quests at the moment.

(2) There should be a limit of ONE (1) deed per account in an NPC town. Any additional deeds claimed should be in a POT.

If those two things were fixed at the same time, new players would stay long enough to see and achieve a goal. Once someone has a home in the game, it's a part of them and they are attached to the game.

The Row deeds should be cheap and easy to get, but again with the caveat that no account can be actively using more than one plot of land in an NPC town.

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Why? NPC towns are largely empty. They removed a few in the last patch because they're so unused. We need more deeds in NPC towns, not fewer.

7. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I agree with this. When I first started I dreamed of owning a large lot. Ultimately ended up with a city lot as my largest.

Except I quickly realized how hollow owning a city lot actually was. There really isn't any purpose to it. Sure you decorate it and that's fun for a minute, but once it's decorated it just kinda sits there empty. These days I am more than happy with just row lot sizes, except I don't even bother decorating those on the inside anymore. I just place the vendor and decorate on the outside a bit.

Greyfox and Barugon like this.
  8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I think it depends on the person. My wife love decorating lots, and spends hours doing so. She has multiple different houses & designs stored in her property manager. It's probably the funnest aspect of the game, for her. Also, larger lots provide ways to make more money from agriculture than smaller lots, if one is going that route. So there can be utility to the different sizes.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Not to mention have a showroom.

Mishikal likes this.
  10. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

Part of the reason for that is that POT deeds are cheaper and easier to come by. The POT/PA deed restrictions should be lifted. Just make all deeds place anywhere.

To me, I have zero issue with POT being more vibrant with players and NPC towns being useful mostly for quests with a few exceptional cases (major towns). The problem with most of the NPC towns are that so many have excellent locations just sitting empty or have not been visited by their owner(s) for months at a time.

I'd be okay with clearing out a bunch of the available lots in NPC towns and having the dev team toggle some on or off with each major monthly patch, as needed. That's my 2 cents.

I think the biggest problem is how difficult it can be to earn the first simple house compared to how many lots are in all of the game and how many players are playing. Row house deed should be stupid simple to attain. Each subsequent upgrade and multiple properties should be much more difficult AND I have no issue with the early backers having what they have... they made this all possible with the funding... but if you want more people in the game... then don't turn them away so fast.

You know what might make room rental inns more useful and common? Give every new account a weekly room rental token that could ONLY be used for room rental and provide a way for the landlord to turn those tokens in for gold. THEN if the new account logs in every week for 8 weeks straight and a minimum of 4 hours a week, give the player a place anywhere, taxed row lot deed and make those "newbie" deeds so that only one can be in possession of any account.

Chatele and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Two birds, on stone, I like it. It'll probably still be a POT deed though (just a guess).

Chatele and Mishikal like this.
  12. Snakyy

Snakyy Avatar

QUOTE="Vladamir Begemot, post: 1166631, member: 63358"]Actually combat is quite good, deep, and customizable.[/QUOTE]

HAHHAH. You have not really play a game no?

Yes, the combat system is very DEEP:

Half of the defence skills are useless. Never waste points on dodge, ignore dex, light armor is for noobs.

A lot of magic spells are useless. These spells having perhaps one purpose and sometimes not even that.
    There is a magic specialization system to limit magic you can sensibly train. However, only FEW magic schools give any possibility to create functional mage.
    Most magic schools lack even basic damage spells. Specialize on those and you are just laughing stock for all.
    To deepen the feeling of combat many high-end monsters are 100%+ immune to most magic. Have fun mages! Wait....but you cannot LEEEL LOL LOL HAHAHAH!
    Melee/Archery works for everything. No monster is immune to melee/archery in any sense even worth to mention. Well yes ghosts take little longer to kill LOL.
    EVERYONE need to train ALL magic schools to have ANY resistance to such magic. It is very good deep and customizable system where EVERYONE NEED TO LEARN SAME SKILLS. XD
    Monster AI is stupid as rock. Simply running between corners or rocks you can avoid any attacks and kill certainly your opponent.
    You NEED to abuse rock stupid AI as there is no any kind of balance between monster. Some monsters one shot you regardless your character's resistances and specifications.

ALSO:
    Archetypes force all characters to train a specific set of skills as:
    Melee ALL need to train STR str skills: Tactics, Heavy Armor, Earth Magic and optionally Bludgeon.
    All magic users need to train INT skills: Sun Magic, Train INT
    All archers need to train DEX skills: Air magic, Train DEX, Moon Magic

Archetypes are not in any kind of balance as training your archetype attribute STR, DEX or INT have an unequal number of skills where you can gain them. Also to become best possible archetype both mage and archery characters need to have certain specialization. Melee archetypes have no same issues.

Melee Archetype has 9 skills to train STR up
    Ranged Archetype has 3 skills to train DEX up. Wanna be top notch archer? YOU NEED TO SPECIALIZE TO AIR MAGIC.
    Magic Archetype has 2 skills to train INT up. Wanna be top notch mage? YOU NEED TO SPECIALIZE TO SUN MAGIC.

This lead to situations where melee archetype after a certain point is just...hilariously overwhelmingly powerful, where any other archetype need spend insane hours of exp grinding to get anywhere near.

But as you said....very good, deep and customizable system. It is honestly!

13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Well I am a mage most the time in many schools and I wear my Cloth 90% of the time and Chain chest as the only sub depending on what I am doing and who I am with.
    That said I find cloth extremely useful with the dodge skill and GM acrobatics. My survival seems to go up much better in cloth an I do way more damage then when I put on my chain chest.
    I do loose the avoid and extra HP from the heavy tree which are better suited for longer fights only.

I also have a Tank build / duel sword build and because I am air mastery spec I have almost nothing invested in earth yet I have 230 str with out it. Its not required to have earth but I know it would for sure if I was only a tank work better in my favor.

I do agree int for mages is most important and as an Air mage I never understood why they augment our dmg with Dex but Int for sure does more for the spells then dex. Now if they ever fix that I would probably drop int all together but until then Int all the way. I have 255int when in my Sun spec, and 23x when I am in Air.

I do think they need to Balance out a lot more which given last twitch sounds like Chris mentioned that more balance is coming or as he also phrased it as some would say nerfs. I just hope those that get the nerfs understand that melee is indeed as you said over the top and needs to change to be more on par with the rest.

Vladamir Begemot and Brewton like this.
  14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Dodge works well for me....

Jaesun, Barugon and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  15. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

What do you get for your tax dollars is what I wonder. I'm paying into these lots but what additional services do I gain access to? Perhaps a tax reward system of some sort. Different tiers of rewards for longevity.

reward examples:

Permament lot deco item/container increase. (until lot is released?)
    Increase vendor/pet limit by one for one real month.
    Agriculture yield buff, 1 week.
    Devotional intensity buff (25% bonus from devotionals) 1 week
    Increase crafting station level 1 week

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  16. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

More then one vendor is about all you get for a bonus that and a bigger place to put things.

there was mention that they may look at separating vendors and pets so you can have more once they have the engine ore optimized.

17. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

3 years from now new players will complain about us claiming all the lots in episode 2 in new npc towns ... some things just are and its hard to please everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.