Mac performance tip with Apple Displays

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Gix, Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

I was discussing the game's performance with a fellow Mac user the other day and he was telling me that, on his new/better computer, that he was getting a much poorer game performance than I was.

I gave him some advice which rectified his issues and then it dawned on me that most people here in the forums might also be unaware of what they can do to increase the game's performance... so if you're playing from a Macbook (pro) or use an Apple Display, here's what you can do:

Screen Resolution is one of the most (common) taxing setting for your video card. Setting your game to a much lower resolution helps as your GPU has less pixels to worry about... but considering how Apple Displays work with subsampling, telling your game to render with a low resolution is just not enough... because your OS is still rendering (albeit a blurrier image) at native resolution.

So what you want to do is go to your System Preferences on Mac OS X and reduce your entire OS's resolution to your desired (lower) value... then make sure that the game is also running at that resolution.

The end-result image (and the font) will be much crispier too as a result... but, more importantly, playing at a much higher frame-rate.

I hope this helps.

Feeyo and Woodchuck like this.
  2. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

I can attest to this.

Thank you for the information!

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

Doesn't work on imacs with 5k Retina displays tho where they don't show a list of scalable resolutions.

I just run the game at half resolution, 1440p and it runs well.

Olthadir likes this.
  4. BabogtheRed

BabogtheRed Avatar

Thanks much! This was helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.