Forums are quiet these days

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

The forums have become quiet because they have become toxic. I rarely come here because of the toxicity. I only happened by now because I was checking on something. People can only take so much negativity and what not before they leave (not the game, the forums) and never to return. they are still playing the game. I see them all the time. keep nearby players window open and you will to. :) cheers :)

2. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

[​IMG]

Barugon likes this.
  3. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

The forums aren't toxic. "Disillusioned" might be a better term...

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Maybe everyone is running to Discord, as all the communication happens there anyhow. :p

5. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I don't see anything in your numbers even tangentially related to Shroud.

We're our own game and our own community. We might be the spiritual successor to UO, but our traffic and theirs is totally unrelated.

6. Derium

Derium Avatar

Okay, then I'll make it directly related to SotA

https://steamcharts.com/app/326160#6m

You can go skiing down that slope.

7. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

With all due respect, I still don't see the relevance.

The last time we had significantly high nunbers of Steam users was in June.

The forums weren't quiet until recently.

There just isn't a correlation between forum activity and Steam users. Not that I can see, anyway.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Daily post counts have been on a gradual decline for months.
    But they've fixed some glaring issues over the past release, and the next one will get over their single biggest mistake that bled so many away...
    I'm still hopeful.

9. oplek

oplek Avatar

Doesn't seem to be much of a point. I try provide feedback, and it's ignored, or dismissed on singular nitpicks. Things like the player-made dungeons make me wonder what their internal thought process is... like why do we need 200+ slightly-reconfigured carbon-copy adventure zones. Could that time/effort not have been spent on something not-more-zones for the game?

They seem to live in their own little world, with little indication that they're listening, or what they're trying to do. Not even a survey has gone out trying to figure out what would interest players. They're just going to do what they're going to do.

So why bother saying anything?

10. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Should the dev's hand out receipts for the comments they read?? PM a thankyou for every comment?

nien.

11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Nice stats pulled out of one's rear again.

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I don't participate as much now because I stopped playing the game. Hitching still hasn't been fixed, and as @Feeyo said :

Our complaints about hitching have been all but ignored. I respond to a few things, but I'm not investing more time into this game until they fix the hitching issue. Doesn't make sense for me to get excited about new features when the game is hitching so bad. If they ever fix the hitching I will start playing again, and be more active on the forums.

13. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

The forum activity has his own "momentums". Saw this before and nothing happened.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I am gone because the same people discuss the same s*it over and over again.
    At the moment i prefer to play the game and stay away from pointless discussions.

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This is a very interesting rationalization of what is actually not happening. Raw raw raw... keep up the cheering. What has really come out is a absolute and widespread white washing of anything negative about this game in any way. Its AMAZING how many people I read post things such as "I have had hundreds of posts deleted for NO reason". I log in to look in the evenings, I am lucky to see 10 names now browsing these forums. 2 years ago there was hundreds.

MrBlight, Derium and Kain Darkmoor like this.
  16. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

It's not impossible to come out of a depression. But it does take time and change. Either give in or fight through it, time will tell. We will look back on it one day and talk about it either in game or not.

17. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Steam is a sample size of statistical significance. If you have 1000 people playing and 100 use steam you can correlate overall population based upon observations of the 100.

Steam numbers are declining, because the overall population is declining. Stream sales, even with discounts are diminishing, people on our friends lists are diminishing, players in Multiplayer are fewer, forums posts are less, finding groups is harder, one reason less people are playing.

We either admit the population is dwindling or we hide our heads in the sand. Full release happened months ago, final wipe years ago, Summer vacation is over, final 20% polish has been implemented, no more excuses available.

I believe the Developers are FINALLY making many of the necessary changes to improve the overall health and population of SOTA. My concern is too little, too late. Some of us demanded removal of death decay, fewer nerfs, less grind, GLOBAL CHAT (for all), and many other improvements for years.

Stating we don't have a serious population problem is not going to help to solve the obvious problem.

18. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Not for long, it gets bumpy going up and down.
    If you look at the numbers on shroud on steam (which is too arbitary number chart and the numbers could e better or worse as people use the independant launcher) shroud is at about 50% of its peak,
    whereas if you look at pubg charts https://steamcharts.com/app/578080#6m yes the numbers are bigger but theyre down to 30% of their peak and that is the true numbers of the game and noone is for a minute saying pug is failing

When it goes ftp for episode 1 and they do another marketing push we should get a rise in numers, which they havent done since Travians failed marketing attempr, ut have sensily held off doing until things are more polished.

Theres a phrase, damn lies and statistics. Yes the numbers are lower than at peak, no theyre not lower than theyve been . Theres still a lot to do before it will be succesfull and itll always be a niche game (like uo was / is) but with
    the new content they keep adding Im sure itll be around for many years yet.

Id suggest you go play uo on one of those free servers if your not bored of it , or is that why your here :p

Elwyn likes this.
  19. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

We have a "everyone expects all episodes and their features to be already in game" problem.

This game should have been kept under wraps until at least end of episode two so quite a lot of people didn't get burnt out and became entitled experts based on a project that was spread out over 5 episodes. Is the current game loop sufficient? No. Are things complex and organic enough for a 2018 game? No. Is life interesting enough we can sit around watch a dragon visit over head (and get scared) see a ship sail past the horizon or look over a balcony and see a innocent peasent get cut down only to be chased out of town by a guard or player? No. How about leaving a town and having the next scene pre load as you are getting to the zone perimeter? No. But do we have a damn good base to develop and build on? Hell yeah.

We have two options.

We help these guys get to episode 5 (while giving polite feedback) or we ignore their vision and make fun of people we don't know on the internet like cowards making fun of their names, lie to make them look bad etc and think we know everything when you can't even tell if a developer reads your comment. If you don't know they read your feedback how the hell are you expert enough to get to stand on a pedestal and abuse people you have never had a damn conversation with in your life?

Im going to bet the current story lines will considered "side quests" eventually. Sure the quest system was a bit cheap and nasty but it was in the game quite quickly. I don't mind supporting developers who are good at developing and low and behold, they are already saying they plan more phases on these systems.

See you all at the fishing contests! (please not 4pm central 4am my time destroys me lol)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  20. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Those numbers could also be explained by something as simple as people not using the steam client and using the shroud launcher instead. I'm not really sure, nor do I really care. I'm personally having fun playing the game and hanging with all the people online, doesn't seem that empty to me. I imagine the forums are slow becuase people are waiting to see what this months patch brings.

I don't think the forums are toxic, I think people use that word too much. People have legitimate gripes and they have a right to be heard. And if that happens to evolve into a gripefest echo chamber, then maybe something is wrong. Everyone just has to bear in mind that the devs can't make a game that caters to each person individually.

I personally have my doubts about the direction this game is going but I will continue to play it as long as I am having fun. One thing I do know, talking in circles about how the game is failing is a fairly poor use of my time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.