Beyond Frustrated...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HogwinHD, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Maybe more people fall and die in game than die in UT?

2. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

His point was that people were not dying enough from the creatures, and that the most deaths were from people falling. I can't see that as the greatest comparison because there are a lot of reasons why people succeed in UT vs falls. Nothing can block meteor shower it seems besides celestial blessing. So everyone uses it, but do NPCs have that ability? You have groups with high level players that can stomp those liches easily, so it IS easier when you have the right group and skills because the point of that cave is to maximize your XP gain in as little time possible. So naturally people are not dying as quickly as they are from falling, because they are rocking the room with their high levels. Which is why you meet people in there who complain if the room isn't being taken down in 2.1 minutes, it's like going to the gym and watching people trying to maximize their gains. That's literally the same attitude I see with upper tears.

The problem with UT in my opinion is that people are more satisfied in the game by being there than they are being anywhere else in the game. I have a huge friends list and come friday, you bet your sweet bottom 75% of them are in UT. So it's good to hear that these types of fighting zones being spread out across the land is being discussed. Achievement rewards would be another great addition to the game. For instance, zones in which you need to reach some type of achievement to be able to go in. You see those mini achievements in the zones with puzzles where you get to loot a chest or get a blessing. But what if you needed to reach a certain adventure level to get into specific dungeons or places like upper tears.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  3. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I can not find the original post, but I believe it is your post (In the quote linked below) which led people to believe that the target of the changes was Upper Tears and not that Upper Tears was a side effect of the overall change:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-chris-daily-blog.85583/page-349#post-1115407

4. berenice

berenice Avatar

@Vladamir Begemot , best answer ever, fully agree with you, @Chris , make it happen, revive the kobold sacrifice ;) that was fun, and got nerfed because people liked it and abused of it, but at the end, they were having a lot of fun and that zone was finally a point of interest!, create a couple of zones around the map where people can attenuate in 20-25 mn, it does not matter if they abuse of it, if people love it, it brings value to the game. Nobody will ever hate SOTA for doing that in some zones!
    the consequences? a new pool of player that reach high adventure level that can go in crafting, pvp, dungeon building hard mode...etc etc

5. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

Exactly! +1

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  6. Justice Owen

Justice Owen Avatar

This is the first mistake. No one should be FOR 'balance.' The reason most older MMOs were fun and interesting is because they lacked it, lots of it. Players learned to adapt and that was what gave it character and even if not commercial longevity - we still reference them to this day.

The system (and in specific the cap) is flawed. The reduction in gained experience, e.g. the nerf is only an aspect that exacerbates the former.
    Having recently been dragged along to a stand around and do nothing attenuation cap grind - if this is what people do to 'play together' then I am not hopeful for any real group content in the future.

The reality is, this isn't a group focused game. For something that heralds and harks and pays homage to the old world, it has very little of it, especially with content.
    Players whom are looking for MMO style circa 1998-2003 need to go play EQ or FFXI emulators, because modern games (aside from maybe Pantheon one day?) don't offer it.

The whole thing is a moot point.

Back to the attenuation cap specifically. Ya I don't see the point in even having it. It should be either :

• Reduce the amount of experience gained from mobs in that zone(or give bonus to experience for how quickly you chain together mob deaths within the waves) and take away the cap
    or
    • Increase the experience gained from mobs in that zone and bring the cap value down

Option A is a bit more interesting and the only thing that matters is whether the people doing all the heavy lifting (pulling the mobs, killing them etc.) are interested in power levelling others.
    Option B means your average group of people (non high end players, non full mastery/grand mastered players) will get together more often and do 'dailies' without waiting on certain guildies or friends to come online.

It strikes me as very odd considering that these modern RPGs always go on about diversity (sounds like our politicians) and that there's all different manner of things to do, to the point of ad nauseam. Yet Upper tears and the intentional wave experience farm they setup, is in stark contrast to the concept of roaming the world enjoying all manner of activities and not stressing about gaining limited experience. This is a frequent mantra which they themselves tout and have developed a system intentionally aimed at choices, to increase their chances of a larger customer base.
    Anytime someone challenges this style, the constant rebuttal you get is that 'noone' wants to site around in a room with other players and grind out the same mobs for hours on end.

And yet..we have Upper Tears...

Fine I accept this game is not EQ, so in the spirit of what we've all begrudgingly accepted it to be, I'd much rather all monsters gave significantly more experience per kill everywhere in the game world.

Which means instead of standing around in Upper Tears,gaining experience in some silly manner, I could be off alone or with any one else, actually having fun.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Kain Darkmoor and Gorthyn like this.
  7. Snakyy

Snakyy Avatar

Don't worry. Developers don't listen and will not take any critic and comments to their consideration anymore. :)

They don't even give us real patch notes anymore, as 58 patch multiple stealths nerfs and "adjustments" did show to us. Strangely developers only admitted these changes due uproar of the community. But I think they stop replying to us quite soon. :D

The latest development is that they don't give us even next update feature list, so people cannot test changes and new features in test server before they are applied to the game :p

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I have a probably very unpopular suggestion to replace general attenuation. It would probably also be a bear to implement.

Make a 24 hour (or maybe longer) timer on particular mobs. So each consecutive hardened skeleton you kill begets less experience. I don't know how it would be balanced, but the decrease would probably be relatively subtle.

I said it would be unpopular because it would indirectly reduce experience acquisition by discouraging grinding.

:eek:

9. berenice

berenice Avatar

@Jason_M , not a matter of being unpopular or not, but what would be the point of reducing people experience in a game based on grinding with no skill cap? keeping players at low levels for months/years?

Chatele likes this.
  10. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

The aim would be to reduce the incentive to grind the same mob continuously.

It was not my impression that the purpose of the game was based on grinding. I was convinced that it is about exploration, questing, and interesting interractions.

Grinding is the problem. Mid level players grind up to high levels and avoid the majority of mid level scenes. Exploring these scenes is a big part of the game outside of the main plot and the side quests.

And once you start grinding, you now have nowhere to go but up. The focus shifts to incredibly challenging scenes that require ever larger capabilities.

It's a race to the top. Rather than slowing the runners down and forcing them to rest, we might instead divert them off the track entirely.

Of course it is clear that we both see the same game very diferently. Our goals and our expectations are very different, so it is inevitable and totally normal that we don't agree.

Rada Torment likes this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This thread is over 2 momths old

You can solo everything in the game (thats generally soloed) at lvl 80ish. Doesnt take long to get that. 80 is high level

Dhanas, Sean Silverfoot and Vero like this.
  12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

The grinders have to endure endless insults and suggestions about how they can be deterred. They have to ignore and perhaps solo to escape the onslaught. The dancers and socials demand a game geared to force all players to their style of gaming. On the other hand grinders fight back in a way criticizing the socials, dancers. The game supports both types of play. Why is it that the disparate groups who never change their ways must fight this way? I for one am tired of it. Now they want forced multiplayer and if successful, I might be out of here. Never thought this conflict would bother me as I had solo mode until now.

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Well said!

14. Vero

Vero Avatar

+1 Spot on, although the perception of lots of players is that you need to be ALVL thru the roof+ before you can do end-game :p

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

What end game?

Chatele likes this.
  16. Vero

Vero Avatar

Ah yes sorry that was a bit unclear perhaps. I mean that the perception of lots of players is that you NEED to be very high ALVL before you can do 'end-game' content like example kill bosses like dragons, deaemons, lichbosses, or do zones like Ruined Keep, UT etc.

17. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Well I know that most UT groups these days are full of people who started going there at level 70 and are requiring AL 100+.

18. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Don't forget the adventurers and the roleplayers! :D

But you answered your own question. The game is being pulled in several different directions by several groups of players, and it isn't possible to please everyone. We should be mindful of others when encountering something that doesn't agree with our own playstyle. Using myself as an example, I don't complain about the abundance of dance events because I am aware that I am a prudish fuddy-duddy. I'd prefer RP events or exploration events like a scavenger hunt or mystery or.... but, despite being the avatar of prophecy, my needs are but my own, and I am compelled to respect the needs of others.

Games, especially RPGs, require suspension of disbelief in order to be convincing and enjoyable. Online games require something similar - circumspection of needs and wants.

Managing your expectations and planning your gameplay accordingly will get you much more satisfaction than merely hoping that your minority playstyle wins the next R## feature tug of war. That might sound like defeatism, but I can assure you that I'm enjoying Shroud of the Compromise much more than some others are enjoying Shroud of the Attenuation.

Black FjP and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  19. berenice

berenice Avatar

yes @2112Starman, end game, aether dragons, ancien dragons, lich room in the rise etc etc , getting rare blue prints for dungeons, getting end game level artifacts for gear, reaching end game crafting levels to be able to craft end game crafts...of course there is end game in SOTA, afirming the contrary is a bit surprising. The problem if any in SOTA is not end game but loot content, but with introduction of blueprints it gets better (why should i fight end game content if i get not much reward). Phrasing it this way i would fully agree with such a comment, but saying there is no end game is totally wrong...Still missing , and probably repeating myself (on another post) is high level armor artefacts and more variety on weapons to make this end game meaningfull except for grinding...I know crafters hate me for asking for stuff loot, but it is the "i don't know what" feeling that is missing in SOTA. yes end game, getting enough gold to be able to buy a bigger lot than the free row lot you get with the quest ...yes end game, bringing your char as high as possible to be able to compete in virtue oasis or elsewhere with the best pvpers in the game...we may not play the same game ;)

20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

No, I think we are playing the same game. Its just perspective with a shot at reality. If your perspective were true, there would be 2 million people playing this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.