New here, but sad to discover....

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Bonewisher, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonewisher

Bonewisher Avatar

Vikings using horned helmets? Again, really?

That said I don't think this game will be my favourite as it clearly support false information about real cultures.

From the time 700 ad - 1200 ad Vikings never used horned helmets. This is a known fact.

Replace the helmets and you might get a second chance.

hf guys accepting fake news!

2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This game does not take place on Earth so your historical concern isn't actually relevant :(

3. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

I don't like the Viking and shogun stuff because I thought they were lazy world building so to each their own.

good luck finding your historically accurate fantasy rpg in the future.

edit: Viking = norgard = barbarian
    shogun = perennial coast = I cant think of the name of the story city atm?

4. Drasvar Spiderglum

Drasvar Spiderglum Avatar

Ah but. if there is a multiverse, then there is no reason why we might not be in a universe that is similar, but very different to our own.

Chatele and Kara Brae like this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Lol. I'm gonna hate to see your face when you see the DJ booths, wax cylinders, outfits from the 19th, 18th and 17th centuries, electric weapons, and all the other stuff :p

We can have horned helmets because the lore of the game is that us, the people who live in the 21st century, went as avatars to this place, so can bring any ideas from our world there if we actually wanted.

I'm surprised we haven't told the Kobolds about mobile phones and facebook yet. Or Twitter !

6. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

Careful about the Kobold Facebook, I hear the obsidian wizards are starting a disinformation campaign about K'rul.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, if you're looking for fidelity to an overall aesthetic, SotA is not your game. If you don't mind everything looking like a gaudy yard sale, welcone aboard.

8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It is unfortunate that the devs designate the Norgard gear and homes as “Viking”, since Novia is not on Earth and so Norgardians are not earthly Vikings and can wear anything they please without being historically incorrect. I personally like the look of horned helmets, and they can serve to remind students of Earthly history that in SotA they have left Earth behind and find themselves in a completely different universe. :)

9. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Gaudy is in the eye of the beholder.........

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It's okay, I'm 1/1024th beholder.

11. Bonewisher

Bonewisher Avatar

well, your point is as political as any others considering you agree to false facts to be accepted. Since devs choose to use historical accurate items, and symbols from the real world they are responsible for using the symbols and art correctly.

If devs use the free way to say "it's a game and we like it this way", then why not introduce "Wolfensteins" and say the same thing. How about introducing Old Glory / Stars and Stripes as the well known hated symbol in the game. I'm pretty sure devs wouldn't ever choose that path. Devs should rename their "Vikings" to something else considering the game enviroment is not on earth. Name them Americans or Valkyries and it would be far better.

12. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I trust Hollywood.

Caska likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

They're not vikings in the game, they're Knights of Norgaard. Presumably, they use ''vikings' in the store because people looking into playing probably check out the store, and it's an apt shorthand to describe the style to people unfamiliar with the game.

14. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

We have coconut horses and trojan ducks and rabbits with sharp pointy teeth not to mention ye holy hand grenade so I dont think a viking helm with horns is exacly an issue ;p

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Its just a video game...

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

SOTA IS LIFE

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Elgarion like this.
  17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

+1 to Viking horns! :)

18. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

If horned decorations is your only historical objection to the depiction of late medieval culture in the game, then you're seriously cherry picking your gripes.

The majority of things aren't accurate! Nor do they claim to be. I think your standards are a bit harsh. The art in the game reflects an algamation of popular culture reflections in fantasy and sci fi, as it had been in the Ultima series as well.

To be honest, the inefficacy of gambesons bothers me, too, and leather armor is something of a joke, but these are fantasy tropes. This game is not a record kf history but moreso a record of fantasy and ita corresponding stereotypes, for better or worse.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Crendel and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  19. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

You are correct @Bonewisher, perhaps things can be developed, although being an alternate reality, these first passes at viking like lore and visuals could always do with some tweaking now and then.

20. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I think, everybody can find things to wonder about.

You can wear a Horse or Wyvern MASK, if you feel like this ...
    Fortunately you can't wear a Horse or Wyvern Tail ... (Hope, no developer is reading this thread *coughing*)

So, yes, I would say, a horned helmet isn't really the problem - it looks nice and fits to the game ...
    ... a horse or wyvern mask ... well ... I would appreciate, those stuff could only be worn on Halloween - and only than! ;)

Beside this: What about Werewolves?
    @DarkStarr! We want a Werewolf mask for Halloween! ;)

Simon LeBon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.