Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

RIP Naryad Woods

Discussion in 'Release 59 Feedback' started by Scoffer, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Nothing in the patch notes but the respawn has been nerfed down to pointlessness now.
    Adding shock monkeys seemed like a good idea but they just add to the annoyance.

This used to be a cool little T4 zone that was fun and more importantly was not UT but it seems every release now something gets changed so that there are only 1-2 zones to bother with and this has just crossed another one off the list.

Dhanas and Mishikal like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah this is a real shame. Was a good little proving ground and pretty lucrative for up-and-coming folks. Guess they'll just try to get into UT groups instead, now.
    I get adding the shock monkeys to make it harder (or at least, more annoying, everyone loves confusion right?) but nerfing the respawn down has made it pretty pointless.

I don't see why this was necessary when there are dozens of scenes in DIRE need of attention to be made worth bothering with, yet we continue to see the good/popular/lucrative scenes get beat down.

Dhanas, Gorthyn, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Maybe the goal is to get lots of new, low level players and get rid of all the high level players?

kaeshiva likes this.
  4. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

This was a mid tier zone, all the high level players are doing upper tears and the new T10 content.

Elwyn likes this.
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Well, they nerfed the Rise last release. And Tier-4 is certainly much higher than Tier 1-3 where new players start out. ;) I was half-way joking :p

6. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

The spawning in Naryad Woods was changed because it had several spawning problems, mostly that the enemies didn't spawn dynamically (i.e. randomly) and did respawn way too quickly. When the scene was adapted for quest purposes, it was repurposed from an old, old scene that had spawning which was far from current standards. Unfortunately, the spawning wasn't updated when the scene went live. For a long time, this wasn't that big a deal, but as it became a hotspot of activity we started seeing the rewards of the scene far exceeding what they should be. We considered this issue an exploit and therefore no post was made about the impending changes. I turned the spawners into dynamic versions and adjusted their respawn rate to current standards. Because I know people like this scene a lot I tried to find a way to replace the loss of "hordes of enemies" with an alternate challenge. That's why I added the random shock monkeys, which are +1 Tier compared to the bulk of the enemies. It's also why I turned the center of the camp into a Tier 5 battle. I know a lot of people liked the old scene and are sad about the changes, and I'm sorry about that, but I hope the new version can still capture your interest.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

@Sannio
    I appreciate what you're saying and that it needed to be fixed. I think you misunderstand what it is that players liked about Naryad Woods, though.

Players liked that it was a consistent scene, lucrative in money and xp, and you could 'bite off as much as you could chew' - ie, the further in you go, the more you have to fight at once. The fast respawn of lower level creatures made this an ideal spot for the mid-level adventurer to get their feet wet seeing how much they could handle, and, still appealed to higher levels who just needed to grind cash to pay their rent and weren't necessarily looking for a white knuckle challenge. Slowing down the spawners completely ruins this appeal. Adding the shock monkeys further exacerbates the problem. Nobody enjoys dealing with things that stun, knockdown, confuse, etc. Its annoying. Its not engaging. Its not challenging. Its just annoying. We put up with it in K'rul back when it was the best XP you could get, but nobody who did monkey room did it because "wow, I like playing with confusion, my buttons dont work, this is so fun!"

If you're sincere about wanting people to enjoy this scene (ever) again, I'd suggest the shock monkeys are a poor/undesireable feature. They made it worse, not better. If the spawn rate absolutely cannot be faster than whatever baseline you've got, fine - consider adding more kobolds around the outside of the camp, then, in the surrounding woods perhaps, instead of the hateful monkeys. Add in some sort of other -melee- creature. There are very few scenes where players could go that aren't completely filled with archer/mage types - this was a nice option for fledgling characters whose defenses simply aren't up to the damage that a firing squad of npc archer/mage can dish out, with buildings and catapults and things to strategically position behind. It was fun. and challenging for lower levels to see how far they could get. It was decent for higher levels to make decent xp/money without having to do the UT thing. Its one of the few scenes that isn't plagued with undead, too. In its current iteration, it has absolutely zero appeal for mid level players or high level players as its simply not worth the trouble for the reward you get.

Please understand, I completely understand the decision to change it from how it was, but the direction of that change just puts it on the "don't bother with it" scene list. It was a lucrative scene, but not a complete steamroll for everyone - regularly saw the 'player skeletons' piling up there as people pulled a few too many. Simply slowing down the spawners would reduce the 'rewards' to reasonable levels - the loot they drop is trash, and low value, the gimmick was you could get a lot of it very quickly.

Even just removing the monkeys would still make it satisfactory for lower level characters - it would lose its 'fast grind' appeal for high levels, but hey, we've got... UT.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  8. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I'm in the same boat as Kaeshiva on this one.

Either add the shock monkeys but leave the spawn as it was, thus making it more difficult
    Or
    Reduce the spawn rate but leave the shock monkeys out.

Either one of these would have been fine but both together just make it so its not worth the time.

Dhanas likes this.
  9. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Why don't make mobs a little harder and keep the respawn? It was fun mostly cause you had constantly respawn, I haven't tested it yet but from what others are saying seems like this zone lost his fun part

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

@Sannio you know that ghost ship on penmawer island? Adding a kobold multi-wave spawner to the naryad woods like yall got at the gost ship would be a good compromise. Then you could tune it so it sends horde after horde like folks want while easily controlling the gold generated.

More areas with wave spawners all over the world would be a good idea in places like bandit andelf camps, bear and wolf dens, and graveyards

Anvar and kaeshiva like this.
  11. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

yeah make it like Teneris harbor but a kobold wave encounter, that would be a much better solution, there are too few mid-high level stuff still, variety of places to go otherwise the same zones all the time make it dull.

disorder, Gorthyn and Dhanas like this.
  12. disorder

disorder Avatar

I think this is great idea.

13. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Kobold Expeditionary Camp was the same zone exp T5. They changed it to what it is I now.. I miss the enemies that would never leash, and respawn.

I don't understand why they are nerfing the respawn but UT is okay. I just don't get it. KEC was my favorite frenzy zone... Risk was balanced by Reward

kaeshiva, Jason_M and Dhanas like this.
  14. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Naryad is (was?) a special place. It was one of the few places where one could get overwhelmed constantly and live out their action hero fantasies!

I think that that's a type of scene worth having. How the loot and experience balance are secondary, but the thrilling rollercoaster ride experience is essential and definitely worth it :)

Gorthyn and kaeshiva like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.