1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

[RP-Event]: Chapter VI: The Last Dire Portal

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Cerus, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerus

Cerus Avatar

[​IMG]

A thick layer of smoke and dust was clouding the vision of the Elves who just arrived to support the Novians in this battle. They brought medicine to heal the injured, water to distinguish the fires that were casted by the dragons, and food to feed the soldiers and Avatars who were fighting for 2 days and 2 nights without rest. Guards were still gathering the lifeless bodies of the Ebon Dawn soldiers in front of the gates...

The Ebon Dawn Army has besieged Aerie even before the Portal opened, to isolate the defenders from the city center. They brought archers, swordsmen and even their Elite warriors to hinder the Avatars from entering Aerie. And finally, the Horror unleashed:
    Kobolds, War Wolfs, Trolls, Ghosts, Spirits, Liches, Ents even dark Dragons and many other demonic creatures appeared in all corners of Aerie and began slaughtering everything that was in their way. But there was also an overwhelming army of Avatars that came to fight this final battle against the dire forces. After a full day of ruthless fighting, the dark forces made their way until the Lord's castle and were now getting closer to the Lord's chamber. And yet, this time, the Avatars prevailed.

The Obsidian Messenger was furious when he saw the overwhelming power of the Avatars, standing united against his armies. Therefore, he decided to take this matter into his own hands. He assembled all members of the Obsidian Cabal in front of the castle, and while the savage battle unfolded in front of the castle gates, the Messenger ran up the stairs. He had to hurry as his protection spell would not last for much longer.

And there it was: The Lord's chamber. The attacks of the Avatars who were shielding the Lord didn't bother him. "It will be over in a minute...", he laughed fetching the ancient staff of death. And in this very moment, his shield was broken. Suddenly he felt the pain from the blades, arrows and spells crushing into his resistant, yet vulnerable body from all sides... The overwhelming attacks forced him to retreat, so he fled in front of the castle gates, where he challenged the Avatars for a last time, before he was brought to the ground and defeated...

And so, the Obsidian Messenger was defeated. Or was he? What about the Dire Orb, that binds the Messenger's soul to New Britannia? The Orb that allows him to come back over and over again. Was this Orb still sealed in the secret Chest in the Zeitgeist Library? Well, see for yourself, Avatars... For the chest is now empty.
    [​IMG]
    It appeared that one cunning stranger has broken the 7 mythical Seals and holds the Dire Orb in his hands.
    And so it happened that on the darkest day, right before the Dire Portal opened, he and a group of Avatars got together in an attempt to destroy the Orb. With a mighty Obsidian Hammer that was provided by the Avatar Skeletor, the stranger approached the Obsidian Forge, accompanied by the virtuous Avatars Net, Synergy Blaize, Rielle Peddler and Fopu Oghogu. It was a moment of unbearable anxiety and hope.

Would it work?

[​IMG]

The Orb was lying upon the Forge and all Avatars held their breath when the stranger took the Hammer and smashed it with all his power against the glowing Orb...

A loud, shattering lightning blazed out of the Orb and tore the Hammer from the stranger's hands.
    But despite the powerful impact, the Dire Orb remained without a single scratch.
    [​IMG]
    And as the Orb remains in this world, the Obsidian Messenger does too.
    One Avatar of light held the Dire Orb in his hands, while one Avatar of darkness held the secret to its destruction. Will those two puzzle pieces ever find together? We don't know.

But as long as they don't, New Britannia must stay attentive and prepared.
    Novia has been defended this time and some years of peace may lie ahead.

But one day, the Obsidians might return and put the truth, courage and love in the hearts of the Avatars to the test once again.

[​IMG]
    DISCLAIMER:

An immense Thank You to everyone who participated. It was an amazing tale told by all of you together.
    • Feel free to keep adding further RP-contributions from your character.
    • Stay tuned for a video highlighting the battle in Aerie.
    • Epilogue, Credits and some closing words for the event will follow tomorrow.

2. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

(( @DarkStarr @Chris I am not sure who Cerus works for, or who else was involved in the planning and execution of this event, but they very much deserve the highest kudos! I trust you are finding useful data from the event too. I am curious, as a percentage of player population during the event period, how many were in Aerie for the battle? Cheers to everyone involved! ))

Net, Jaesun, Boris Mondragon and 6 others like this.
  3. Cerus

Cerus Avatar

Some closing words:

This event started with the idea "Halloween is coming! Let there be Ghosts!".
    However, ghosts that appear somewhere without any reason, would be very unsatisfying for those who are really passionate about roleplay, would you agree?
    And so, a rough storyline was developed for the first Assault in Ardoris. Unfortunately though... Khasi and Siranto were killed... which was not really part of the Script.
    I was wondering how I could "fix" this from a Story-Telling perspective, but didn't find a satisfying solution. Eventually, I decided simply not to fix it at all.
    I fired my script into the trash can and decided to let the story take its natural course. Unexpectedly, this actually resulted in a much better story than the one that was initially scripted.
    And although I was the story-teller, I felt a lot of excitement following this story as it was being told by the Community as well, having a possible ending in mind, but without knowing how the Avatars would act and how the story would eventually end. It was one of the most exciting stories I've ever read.

I want to say thanks for those moments of excitement and this new kind of event-experience for me.

Enjoy another great video about the attack in Aerie made by @Datendrache

CREDITS:

Again, special thanks to all who not only participated, but helped with this event by leading the course of the story with their decisions, actions and story-telling:

@Hemswal The Descended (The Obsidian Assassin)
    @Datendrache (Video Production & Zeitgeist Library Owner)
    @Obsidian Tempest (Key-Role in video "The Obsidian Assassin")
    @Brielle McFerson (Key-Role in video "The Obsidian Assassin")
    @Alley Oop (Key-Role in video "The Obsidian Assassin")
    @Scoffer
    @kaeshiva
    @Griffler
    @Boris Mondragon
    @CatherineRose
    @EMPstrike
    @Sindariya
    @Gaelis
    @Sol Stormlin
    @craftymethod
    @Synergy Blaize
    @Minerva
    @Net
    @Royou
    @Lesni
    @Dhanas
    @Paladin Michael
    @Rada Torment
    @Sean Silverfoot
    @Vicious Malice
    @Antrax Artek
    @Stryker Sparhawk
    @Athanil
    @Helvig Ingvildsdottir
    @Jaesun
    @Ikas (Aeddon)
    @Menja (Maeva)
    @Katla (Zaleena)
    @Cerus (Obsidian Messenger/Darius/Story-Telling)

And many other virtuous and unvirtuous Avatars who have influenced the story ingame with their participation (I appologize if I forgot anybody, here included are the names of those who RPed in the Event thread, but there were many more ingame ;) )

Some Key-Events that impacted the course of the story (of which most were unplanned):

4. Net

Net Avatar

Just a quick clarification, I knew of the mission and may have provided an advice in the past (and bit of skepticism for I knew the power protecting the orb is immense), however I was not part of the expedition to the forge.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Gaelis, Sindariya, Jaesun and 6 others like this.
  5. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

@Cerus and @Datendrache this was one of the best times I have ever had in SOTA and there have been many but this one stood out among them. Thank you so much for following through and making this happen. RP gave a purpose for PVP as well as for PVE participation. We were able to interact with others that many we had never met before. The videos Datendrache produced gave all of us a wonderful gift getting to see each battle from a viewers perspective since we were up close and personal (death often even). The music was beautiful and fit the videos perfectly. It was so much fun to RP long enough over time that we could really think about what our character would do or say.

Thank you from the very bottom of my heart for the experience you gave to us.

6. Vicious Malice

Vicious Malice Avatar

Thank you to all who put so much work into this, to give us all some enjoyable moments! It's all highly appreciated!

I think considering that this was a first time, everything went really well, and I particularly enjoy the outcome where the Obsidian Messenger is defeated for now, but can be pulled out of Cerus' sleeve anytime after licking his wounds for a while to terrorize New Britannia again.

And thank you, @Cerus , for allowing me to participate without breaking character all too much.

7. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

@Vicious Malice Yes indeed was great fun!. how much text was there on that last page? I would have guessed two sentences at the most...

8. Vicious Malice

Vicious Malice Avatar

Not telling. Not even OOC. Nice try.

9. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Reveal us 80% of the text and I will tell you who has the Orb ;)

10. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

This was a wonderful example of @Cerus and the Dev. team working with members of the community to put together a story driven event. Now, there were some issues and much was learned but overall a good time. I'd love to see more community and/or developer events. A whole lot of effort and time was put into this and a big shout-out goes to the people (See Cerus list above) and the time they put in to make this happen. For every moment of game play you may have seen or participated in, there were hours of discussion and prep. I was happy to participate and look forward to many other events. @Hemswal The Descended , @Datendrache

11. Vicious Malice

Vicious Malice Avatar

Since you suspected that there were two sentences at most, I will give these to you after receiving the name of the person that must be vanquished. As an alternative, they can of course hand the orb over peacefully. I promise their donation will stay anonymous if they so wish.

12. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Since I noticed my own weakness during the battle of dysburg I only visited Aerie as a spectator have fun with the chaos. Since it was clear from the beginning that both sides will not win. The virtues avatar owned the orb, the obsidian followers owned the secret to destroy the orb.
    I stayed with the lord of Aerie since everything will be decided in this small room. It was a quite day but with the sun setting, the battle came to me.
    [​IMG]

I underestimated the range of those scythes and was hurt. I left the room to have a look through the castle. Even on the ground floor you could feel and see the fight from above.
    [​IMG]

Since the fights in the castle were not that chaotic I sneaked back to the upper floor. The avatars were busy defending the room of the lord.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One moment I was careless and had to leave my body. So I took a look around in the world of death. Now I saw why the messanger couldn't die. He exists in both realms.
    [​IMG]
    I was brought back by Gaelis, so I could watch the final battle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

((ooc))
    Glad I could be ( a little) part of this Event, the first RP-PvP Event in Shroud made by Devs.
    Thanks to the Community which made it so much fun, attending all great battles,
    thanks to PvPers which granded us this final victory( for now) , which were fighting really tough,
    thanks to Cerus and his Staff which put all this together. :)

14. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

(OOC)

I took a lot of things away from this Masterpiece started by @Cerus with the assistance from Travian and Portalarium. It was like the movie "Field of Dreams", they built it and we came to play. Been here for over 2 and a half years and this along with the event we held ourselves on 3 December 2017 fighting in Dragomir over @CatherineRose's christening of the "Misti Sea" are the most memorable. It is up to us with their support to continue this type of event. We have the creative writers both on the side of Light and Evil to weave the intrigue and set up continuous events of high caliber, high drama, politics and treachery at times. Fellow avatars; We have the means to lure other people into this game with the hopes of joining us in grand adventure. This is something I had asked for in the forums several times. What is the use of meaningless grinding without a grand plan aka "End Game". Just let me know when to stir up some drama against the "Bad Guys" as the pirate is good at that *grins*. We did this continuously with monthly battles in UO Chessie, we can do it even better here. I want to thank everyone who was part of this grand adventure. "Feels something stirring in the dark and strange sounds in the wind". I leave you with a tune that may bring back those memories. R/Boris/El Pirata.

15. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Regret missing this one, looks like alot of fun!!

16. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Afterlog: Estate of White Hart, Office of Stryker Sparhawk - The written letter:

To our ally @Net
    The training of the transporting towers together served us well. Even though you died over and over and over again, and we were crushed underneath the rooms of doom, and we lost our torch bearer, it has been redeemed by this day.

Perhaps the stone egg will one day be found, but I commend your skills in discovering the unknowns. The Cryptologist Society is once again in your debt.

- Sparhawk of the Duchy of White Hart
    May the Spirit of Tooth and Claw preserve you.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  17. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I had a great time! I missed many parts of the event due to time zone differences, but I made the now-legendary battle of Aerie!

The guy who cried out the location of the first black dragon, doubtlessly saving several innocent lives? This guy ;):cool:

I'm even on TV! I'm the chowderhead trying to bodyslam a Cabalist at 3:27 :D

I hope we will have more events like these!

Rentier, Aeryk, Net and 7 others like this.
  18. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Well the Orb was not destroyed so it is foretold we will have more events like this! Although it sounds like the orb may not be cannon but it would only take a small amount of work by the Dev's and us to continue either trying to search for and protect or seek it for destruction.

We just need backing by Port that it can find a reason for the orb to exist. An in-game object (aside from a piece of paper) and or a possible quest stub for future quest etc.

I'd be happy to wage a war over the orb, whoever has it must be sweating at the prospect of a continued war. Perhaps a research quest could be eventually put forth. Wether that be the forces of darkness or light.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  19. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

They better make this cannon, we are the avatars the stories we create ARE our history.

20. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Well, not sure how it fits in, We might well have to create a new chapter. ;) or quietly go about our days in the presumption perhaps there may well be a new chapter when the time arises.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Aeryk, Boris Mondragon and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.