Brewing - for profit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myke5161, Oct 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke5161

Myke5161 Avatar

Greetings!

I was wondering if brewing (namely wine) would be profitable? I have the abilities and recipies needed to make casks and the ingredients, as well as a decent sized plot of growing space outside to grow grapes.

I had herd that they nerfed brewing profits, but then might have reverted the prices back to pre nerf?

Anyway, I'm just wondering if brewing is worth some time and effort, in between adventuring and hunting.

Elidrick Valorian

2. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

no, its not

Mishikal and Fenrus MacRath like this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Nope, at least not right now.

At the moment, all brewing products have the same (basically worthless) buff so regardless of whether you make beer, wine, or whiskey... there really is no market for them from other players. That may change if/when they give different brewed items different stats that people might find useful, but until then there is no market for them.

If you sell to an NPC merchant, they will give you back less than what it costs to make the end product (assuming you are buying the water and/or other raw materials to make them. If you grow your own raw mats using free water from wells... you might be able to make a very small profit, but not worth wasting your time on.

Mishikal and Fenrus MacRath like this.
  4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

There are only two recipes that I know are profitable: Edelmann Beer, and the 2 year whiskey. I am assuming the other two whiskey recipes are profitable as well, but haven't put them up to test it out.

Fenrus MacRath likes this.
  5. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

i make 2 year whiskey and I am currently moving to 7 year while being pretty happy with how things are going.
    (unless my brain is breaking each time I am doing math)

6. smack

smack Avatar

Here's hoping they address this before the first batches of 25-year whisky mature in the game...

Fenrus MacRath likes this.
  7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

well, to keep it on par with it's younger brother (2 year whiskey), it would need to sell for 100 gold per bottle/mug/whatever when you uncork it.

8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Changes may be coming soon, I suspect that Kobold still might be used for a refining step to create other alcohols/concoctions from brewed ones.

smack likes this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

We need Rum :(

Graemalkyn and smack like this.
  10. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

beer and wine was profitale for 1 release then there weas some exploit and they had to make it cheap as way too much beer had een made with the exploit soo unfortunately beer is no profit.

whiskey however is profitable. prices are as follows - each keg contains 40 units.

beer 2g ea = 80g per keg
    wine 3g ea = 120g per keg
    2yr whiskey 8g ea = 320g per keg - 1month realtime to mature
    7yr whiskey 12g ea = 480g per keg - 3months realtime to mature

All whiskey uses same amount of barley and water to make, just 7yr uses 1 more yeast (20g from vendor) so its alot more profitable.

nonaware, Stryker Sparhawk and Jaesun like this.
  11. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

12. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Just to clarify the numbers on brewing.
    Wine for example, you can sell the keg for 120 gold.
    Taking into account that you need sugar, water and yeast the total cost of that is 100 if you buy from an npc

Which means to break even with zero cost to produce you would need to get 20 grapes at 1 each. From a planting point of view you can grow cotton and vendor it for 12 gold profit per planted seed (assuming bought water)
    Planting cotton and selling it to the npc is better than brewing.
    Obviously you can make a case for pulling your own water but that works on both ends making the grapes cheaper and the cotton cheaper (so more profit)

Beer is actually worse in that even using the most profitable, edelmann, you would need 24 crops for 20 gold at which point cotton is better again.

With whiskey if you can buy crops at 2.8 each you can make 176 gold profit per keg, per month. Which just isn't worth it in my opinion. As an example I set up 176 casks for whiskey and can potentially turn 31k profit every 30 days and takes 5280 barley but that takes me roughly an hour and half to make the ingredients, fill the cask, empty the cask and sell it to the vendor and doesn't include the running around buying crops and waiting a month. You are generally better off just running around killing things and taking their stuff for the amount of effort it takes.

Mishikal, kaeshiva and Steevodeevo like this.
  13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes sadly, unless the resulting products start actually doing something (ie buff effect) or their npc vendor value is bumped back up to the original values pre-nerf (which allowed decent profitability) brewing is a non-profit endeavor. Any money you make, you're making from agriculture, not from the brewing element. You could just skip the whole brewing step and make the same or more money just doing the agriculture component, making it pointless.

Whiskey is still marginally profitable, but the extremely long delay between harvests makes it rather pointless.

What's frustrating to me about the whole thing is that the prices were lowered "because people were exploiting" and it would take time to fix it. We were told the prices would be put back, but they never were, they were increased 'a bit' but are still below the profit threshold. Any money to be made, at all, from brewing beer/wine, comes from agricultural endeavours/waterdrawing efforts, time better spent planting higher profit crops and not even fiddling with casks at all.

If you add in the frustrating/awkwardness of trying to sell several hundred casks worth of stuff to an npc..well, there's just better ways to make money.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Anvar, Jaesun, Mishikal and 1 other person like this.
  14. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

@DarkStarr did say way back this would be looked into again once they found a way to block the exploit and enable reasonable profits versus effort involved, Then its gone really quiet, unsurprisingly given the workload and the new features coming through, but it would be great to have this revived. Like fishing, brewing wine making and distilling could be awesome content given the existing systems and the imagination of teh Devs. Presently its no more than a placeholder, or worse, pointless to do at all once your curiosity has been satisfied as to the process one time.

15. Myke5161

Myke5161 Avatar

Oh I see :( well thank you for this insightful information. Hopefully they will change this for the better. I've already made a couple of wine casks. Perhaps I'll just make a 25 year whiskey just for deco and see what happens next year lol

Thank you all again,

Elidrick Valorian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.