One man’s opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Nov 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Thinking about what all you wrote a thought came to mind. how about do the same as blueprints / dungeons and have rare skins for weapons, or add another tier to crafting where one can harvest effects or bonuses from weapons that drop?
    this way the players who don't craft can find neat items that they can take to a crafter to apply to their weapons. There could also be crafter level requirements for specific things in order for one to apply it. Like 110 skill in ….

Skins I think are the easiest and or effects for weapons. could make it something you have to harvest X many like fragments and have GM enchanter or MW combine them to make the final skin or effect.

Just throwing out some ideas. I am a crafter and I do agree that there needs to be better loot options. My thoughts originally was to just offer a random range for the base dmg of items you find. that way there could be a simple sword that may end up with wicked base damage which still needs to be upgraded by a crafter in order to boost it further. It doesn't take away from the existing crafters it just becomes another avenue for loot.

With the upcoming system where one can level up abilities in a weapon based in number of kills that would be something else that could drop from loot a sword of dragon slaying etc that would require to be mw/enchanted still. etc.

2. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

The very easy solution is to have the best gear be created by crafters using components dropped in high level adventuring areas.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I think all above that you mentioned is great, tell me your solution to finding better items for the monster hunter and not the crafter is achieved? Btw I’m not talking about items that competed with top tier crafted items just ones that might be useful till they are ready.

This is a great solution! ^^

Well I’m assuming ur meaning t4 and t5 areas and not outta reach areas for mid level players like the rise or fall.

4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Certainly player crafted items sets this game apart, and I am not advocating making it like other MMO's. However, I do see a problem now for the type of player that I am: I want fresh gear, period. I have always been the type of player that picks some crafting specialty and tries to get to a high level. Sometimes this is just to make stuff for myself. Sometimes it's to sell things on the market.

With SotA this has changed for me. I want to craft - specifically tailor pieces. But damn, it's going to take a while to get to a high level. I won't mind the grind, and I can live with it taking a while. The problem is that there are tons of people already who have high-level tailoring, and who craft really nice pieces. I don't see myself catching up any time soon. So now my current choice is to buy pieces, but they are extremely expensive. To me this game is partly about getting skills to GM so I am powerful enough to handle zones above 5+. As a mage this is not enough - I need good gear. And that's the second part to me, having quality gear to help me survive and tackle the harder zones.

Right now I just can't handle anything above 5+ alone. Yes, I can group, but sometimes I just want to farm beetles and patterns and loot, and I cannot do that effectively without good gear.

So that's my conundrum. Keep trudging along to try and level up tailoring and make some pieces that are worthwhile while buying other stuff to supplement - and at my pace, maybe I will attain this by 2020. Otherwise, fork over a ton of gold to get nice pieces. No crafter would argue against this system, ever. And that's the problem. Sure, we can all theoretically climb that mountain, but the reality is that only some people have and only some people will in the future.

I would not advocate necessarily any armor drops that are better than what can be crafted. It would, however, be nice if there were a system that incentivized the current player-crafted economy allowing me to farm some type of "adornment" that I can add to a piece to make it extra special. At least this way I'd feel better about obtaining gear by paying for it. Just MHO.

Jason_M and Brass Knuckles like this.
  5. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

This is what we have, it is just they have not had the time to add more tier 3 conponents.

There are

Elven woodwind bow (from tier 5+ elven archers)=> 3 types of bow string that either better or different but at least equal to any tier 2 material bow string.
    Bandit Weapons (from encounter bandits)=> bandit blades, but these are moire tier 1.5, as they are worse than some tier 2 materials but better than tier 1.
    Torc Weapons (from troll in ravenmoor) => Two handed hammer and axe head, not better than tech 2 but different so build dependant if you want to use them. Savage handle is good, Mossy handle is the best handle in the game right now.
    Ashen heartwood (from reapers) => Not as good as most tier 2 material heartwood, but biggest reagent cost reduction, so good for practice dummy wands to save reagents spending XP.
    Sturdy Weapons (from skeletons I think??) => like the bandit one, more tier 1.5, better than tier 1 but not as good as tier 2.
    Elven Hilt (from Estocs off tier 5+ elven fighters) => same as a bronze hilt but with added dex. But i still prefer meteoric hilt.
    Heavy Two handed sword (from skeletons i think) => like the bandit one, again tier 1.5.

There may be other i don't know about.

Regards
    Spung

Jaesun and Brass Knuckles like this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Drop rates or salvage rates are pretty low and yes we do have that but I still think we need a bump to the excitement factor on drops. how exited do you get when a elven bow drops? Do you jump out of your chair and yell omg a elven bow?

That’s the feeling I think we are missing on loot drops. Even if it’s mild appreciation on drops I believe it would be a improvement for the monster hunter in us.

Spungwa likes this.
  7. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I think drop and salvage rates are intentionally low so that they are less competition with actual crafters and gatherers. I am more supportive of something that doesn't directly compete with another facet of the game economy.

I agree with you magnus that there is a high entry level for competing in crafting, even at gm in my skills I can't make things that people will buy. But you can make things you can use while gaining skill. I think the bigger issue for the player gear market is that things just never break, I have literally been using the same plate chest piece while tanking for 2 months (and I play at least 5 or 6 hours a day, not always tanking) and havent even major repaired it yet.

I'm not complaining, becuase hey that's better value for me, but the expense of crafting is pretty hard to justify if no one ever needs to buy any top teir gear or use any lower teir gear, becuase they can just use the same piece of top teir gear forever.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    nonaware likes this.
  8. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I agree with this, that why i prefer the drop rate to decrease but he salvage rate to be very high or even definite. This way you CAN get excited that you got that item with a tier 3 component. As apposed to the excitement being on the the salvage of 100 of them that MAY get the component.

I'm not a fan of things being a rare drop from a rare drop.... The acquisition rate can be the same, but in a single stage.
    I would rather it be a single rare drop.

For other things I would rather it be even more definite and they have currencies for things. So you hand in to an NPC X "whatevers" and he gives you the rare item. This way it is not a lottery, each time you get the currency item you know you are working towards the goal and actually see and feel the progression towards the goal.

Regards
    Spung

Elwyn likes this.
  9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

If they're going to require more salvaging then they need to fix it so you can salvage > 15 items at once.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Brass Knuckles

Hey I just made a new thread with some of my past suggestions, because I thought typing out all the ideas here would be a little long and redundant for the future,
    Making loot better.

Jaesun, Mishikal and Brass Knuckles like this.
  11. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I'm in exactly the same position as you except for blacksmithy. I also agree eith your suggestion whole heartedly!

Magnus Zarwaddim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.