Need help with build

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Albreuin Meysinger, Nov 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albreuin Meysinger

Albreuin Meysinger Avatar

Hi

I'm trying to find guidelines on the forums how to build a character of mine.

I'll preface with saying that I'm a super casual and English is not my spoken language so I'm sorry if there's a lot of grammatical errors etc.

I used to play my character old MMORPG character Abi Dhalzim in SoTA but unfortunately this game ATM doesn't allow me to create that character in a combat fashion that suits her so I just started a brand new character and I've decided after trying bow and magic a bit that it would be fun to play a melee character with a single sword (I have an old guide that details bladed combat) and leather armor.

Now the thing I've for a long time wished for is the ability to create something that feels like a "realistic" swordsman of the mercenary type in the MMORPGs I played. Unfortunately melee combat in MMORPGs often boil down to; Sword N Board, Dual Wield or Two Handed. I've always wanted to create something more akin to Dark Souls where you can wield a sword with either one hand or two hands, giving you different tactical advantages depending on how you grip the weapon.

So... I was wondering if someone could just give me some pointers, I'm adventure level 27 so I've just started out.

Single blade, throw in some magic, leather, melee.. Can it work in solo PVE?

2. Curt

Curt Avatar

Unfortunately we don't have a 1 and a half hand swords but to during combat swap between wielding a one hand sword and a two hand sword is possible.
    Use two 'decks' one where you has a 1 handed sword equipped and nothing in offhand and another with a 2 handed sword

When you use 1hand + free offhand you has less fizzle so it's more suitable for weaving in spells

You will need to learn Blades and Light armour .
    ignite weapon in Fire seems fitting so you can make your sword burst out in fire
    Is a combo icy trust (trust ice fist) you may consider 'do i like it'

Defensive you have parry (tactics), dodge (light armour)
    In tactics is a couple of stances that you probably could play with to get your own special style

Your main problem is likely how to deal with ranged attackers , it is after all had for a swordsman to fight an archer.
    You has to decide if you should rush up to them (spring in light armour tree), flee , or use some magic of your own (fire arrow, searing ray, lightning, stone arrow, ice arrow)

In your one handed style could the agile air magic fit in, while in two handed could the more stable earth magic fit in.

3. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Send me your in-game name and I will send you a melee guide.

4. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  5. Albreuin Meysinger

Ingame name: Roghan Cenzar

6. Albreuin Meysinger

7. Albreuin Meysinger

Thank you for your advice!

Maybe it's better to just make a mage?

8. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Maybe, by using 1 sword and nothing in your off hand you are hindering both your offensive output and your parry. The only thing you gain is -10% fizzle rate for a free off hand.

Dhanas and Albreuin Meysinger like this.
  9. Albreuin Meysinger

Thought about that as well.. Maybe I have to rethink my idea :p

10. Curt

Curt Avatar

Yes using a sword in one hand and nothing in the other is not optimal but it was a style it sounded like you desired.
    Nothing in offhand makes magic easier so that mode you could use magic to support your style.
    However it would be better if you wielded a wand in your offhand for even less fizzle
    Or you could go with two swords for better parry and offhand attacks.

Dhanas and Albreuin Meysinger like this.
  11. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

There are some offhand items you can use that will offset some of that, they are kind of like stat sticks. Gaia's heart and such.

12. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

That's some clever advice. It requires a bit of imagination, but if your armor is the same between decks, the transition from one hand hold to two hand hold would take a second. It would have some benefits as well. You could have different spells for each hold style.

I think it's an excellent idea!

I play with an Estoc and, in my mind, my character uses one or both hands (but I don't get the benefit of the empty hand as you would).

Abi Dhalzim likes this.
  13. Albreuin Meysinger

Thank you everyone for the tremendous advices, tips etc.

I think I've reached the conclusion that I'll reroll my old character which is Sword N Board (followed Sara's build but with more magic).
    In a way rerolling feels a little defeatist but at the same time while the leather, magic/blade build felt fun on paper I'm not so sure it would actually be fun for me to play...

Feels like the build doesn't work well in most MMORPGs but rather in games like Dark Souls/Witcher. I could probably make it "work" but probably not in an enjoyable way.

And also I kinda want to play a deck I can go for right out of the gate. I was never one for the "have to farm for hours to get gold to buy specific gear to make a build work" a.la. Path of Exile.

Thank's again guys for your help <3

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've been playing SotA for many years and I still don't have it figured out. :oops: :D

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You could wield a sword and a Creepy Dolly!

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

There are many off hand artifacts that would potentially supplement the magic you use or you could just keep the off hand empty for the decrease in fizzle

17. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Dont reroll, there is no death decay anymore so that exp is not wasted. Can just continue with your journey or buy cotos and get some scrolls of unlearning for anything that has too many millions in it. If its not a few million exp, its not worth the scroll though. But please dont reroll.

Sara Dreygon and Jaesun like this.
  18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah you don’t need to delete and start over!

Just set the skills you were using and set them to unlearn (do them one at a time). And just train up the new skill you will be using.

19. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

My advice is simple: Make a build that is fun for you to play. I use chain for the lower fizzle due to the fact that attunement to all magic schools is required for resistance. I was about to quit blades a while back and probably would have if not for @Sara Dreygon showing me how blades can be viable and deadly.

I also gmed the light armor tree for variety but found out that with chain or plate mobs die quicker hence you level faster and make more gold. I use “Body Slam” as my opening attack and there is nothing more satisfying than slamming your opponent and killing them before they come out of the stun. I started with a two handed sword and then switched to dual wield. Won’t go back to two handed and would slit my wrists before I pick up a shield.

In summary; Have fun and once you get bladed combat to 150 you will realize what a killing machine is “Grins”. Fair Winds and Following Seas to you brother. R/Boris/El Pirata

Witcheypoo likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

These two things are unrelated. Fizzle does not affect attunement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.