Anyone else have problems with SOTA through Remote Desktop?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt Black, Nov 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Black

Matt Black Avatar

Hail,
    Maybe I am a in a unique use case scenario, but I spend a lot of time on the road for work, and can't always find the time to game when at home.

At home I have a decent gaming desktop, on the road I am quite often on an ultrabook with no discrete graphics, so not ideal in any way to try and run SOTA natively (I have tried).

I have stinking fast internet at home, and a VPN server. So I connect to my VPN server, and run SOTA on my gaming desktop. This works surprisingly good enough for doing stuff around my house, or low impact sports like fishing next to my village water lot in Elad's.

The one problem I have is the mouse will not pan the view. I can pan using keys, but "mouse look" or clicking and dragging, will not work.

Anyone else experience such strangeness? Any tips?

Thanks.
    -Matt

Vaiden Luro and Lazarus Long like this.
  2. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

I have tried this as well and have not hand any luck either. Same results.

No vpn here tho and using teamviewer FYI.

Laz

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  3. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

4. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

For reals though, VPN encapsulation will break continuous input over RDP (holding down a mouse button).
    You should..
    1. Make sure your Windows user is not Admin and has a VERY strong password
    2. setup RDP to listen on an obscure port
    3. Set a static IP on your gaming box
    4. use your router to forward that port to game box
    5. Test
    Eventually, a bot will discover your open port so you will have to change it from time to time. Also, If your ISP is giving you a dynamic IP, that will also change.

Only a courageous person would attempt this. It is very bad security, but if you try, please let us know if it works.

5. golruul

golruul Avatar

I never tried remote desktop, but I know Steam streaming (i.e. gaming desktop runs game while you control it on another computer) works just fine.

I'll try remote desktop when I get home.

6. disorder

disorder Avatar

Also have had success using steam streaming.

7. Matt Black

Matt Black Avatar

Don't you have to be on the same "network" for steam streaming to work? My desktop does not show up as available for streaming to my Ultrabook connected through the VPN.

8. disorder

disorder Avatar

Ah, that sucks. My VPN is setup in such a way that when I VPN in, I am on the same network as my PC and I am able to see it. They do need to basically be on the same IP Subnet, I believe, probably with the rights ports being open etc.

9. Matt Black

Matt Black Avatar

Okay, I am now thinking this is something weird with the way SOTA handles Remote Desktop... I just connected over RDP from within the house and it still does not work. So it is not the VPN breaking the mouse/look function, it is SOTA not working under RDP.

Would this be considered a bug?? I have never come across anything like this before and I work a LOT over RDP when on the road.

-Matt

10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Biggest problem I've encountered while trying to play shroud via remote access is the password entry..!

he he he he he

11. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Remote desktop is not made for this. I dont even think RDP has hardware acceleration at all.
    Could be that I am just out of date with that tho. But this was the case 10 years ago ;)

12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think I've had the same trouble with this over VNC (using OS X Screen Sharing as a client), but I get such horrible latency (even over a LAN) that I rarely bother for anything other than a daily Oracle visit. And I have to have an actual two-button mouse to even notice it. So I don't think it's just RDP, I think it's VNC as well, which would imply a common problem that's not specific to either.

13. Matt Black

Matt Black Avatar

I agree. Lag is not the greatest, but I would like to at least be able to do chores around the in game property or something like fishing from my deck, or partaking in uni chat while sitting in front of the fireplace.

14. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

It will be found QUITE quickly and exploit attempts will begin almost immediately.

You can't hook up anything to the Internet without it being probed almost immediately these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.