Paulie Walnuts Needs Help From Our Community "Brain Surgery for our 3yr old pup."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I am posting this on behalf of @Paulie Walnuts. This is a generous community and here is our opportunity to help one of our own. Help save his 3 year old puppy's life! Please donate and SHARE this post with your friends! Every small or large donation helps!

Brain Surgery for our 3yr old pup.

[​IMG]

Our little girl Lucy came to our lives at a time when my wife and I were still trying to heal and recover from the loss of our Boxer (Benjamin) to hemagiosarcoma.

He like Lucy was a special spirit in which I often referred to as our first born. After amputation of one of Benjamins leg that helped to extend his life an additional year he succumb to his cancer. That's when we decided to attempt healing through incorporating a new addition to the family, one that was still young but still needed rescuing and love.

We found Lucy through the Midwest Boston Terrier Rescue and at first meeting she melted our hearts. We love her personality, her quirks, and by far is one of the single greatest cuddlers. We noticed through time that she possibly had some developmental issues but nothing that seemed to be concerning, only that she is a wonderfully special dog.

She is always following us, checking on us, and staying close which makes it hard to be away from her now. My wife and I just recently lost and buried a wonderful man in our family and are still attempting to learn how to live without him. Barely 4 days after his burial, we had noticed Lucy having significant difficulties eating. Not that she was refusing or did not want to eat but that she could not utilize her tongue and jaw muscles to adequately retrieve and eat.

After being seen by her regular veterinarian, we were referred to neurology to discuss having an MRI done. That night Lucy experienced an event that can only be construed as something resembling a stroke. She was admitted Tuesday November 6th to Veterinary Specialty Services in Manchester, MO. The next day we found out she had a significantly large dermoid cyst at the rear of her brain which is in charge of her cognitive functions.

Despite relatively difficult odds, we chose to try and help her as we were faced with either simply letting her go or trying to remove the cyst. If all went well, she could possibly recover to a quality of life she's never known. At this current moment, she has already undergone the surgical procedure to remove the cyst but during the course of its removal she stopped breathing on her own. Approximately 80-90% of the cysts was removed with its capsule remaining so not to cause further damage.

Over the night of 11/8, she remained on a ventilator to help her breath but the next day we received news that systemically she is responding well.

Lucy is a constant ray of sunshine in our lives. My wife deals with challenges of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and Lucy and her sister Joon are often the only two who really sees how much pain and exhaustion she experiences daily outside of myself. They give her hope and strength.

She is our special dog who needed us just as much as we needed her. We would do anything for this dog just to have another chance at a good life, and that's why I'm here now. I really don't know how to ask for assistance and this is not something I normally consider but any thoughts, prayers, or financial assistance would be profoundly appreciated as we move through this difficult time.

I have never done this before but some advice came to my attention that I should probably include.

Lucy's stay and subsequent diagnosis could not have happened without an MRI. We were told that with the MRI, surgery and hospitalization needs that it would cost approximately $4800.

Post operation with her breathing in question and to not recover her too soon, we had to place her on a ventilator for 24hrs at an additional $1500. On the advice of her respiratory team we have decided one more night on ventilation for an addition $700 to give her the best possible opportunity for recovery.

The team at VSS have been so good to us and our babies. They are doing everything they can with optimism and care. We were willing to fight as long as Lucy is willing to fight.

Any contributions will go to her continued care and management. we're not asking for everything to be covered, but any assistance that can be provided to help ensure she gets the best care possible would be appreciated beyond any words I could express.

Thank you so much.

-William

Thank you Community! Please donate here.

2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

gotta help the community members. even the barky ones. ;)

4. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

5. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Thanks for making <Oceania> Guild aware of Paulie Walnuts sadness....
    I am hoping this Go Fund Me, can raise the funds need to enable Lucy to enjoy her Life, with the Family, that obviously adores her.

You are in my Heart & My thoughts @Paulie Walnuts
    xoxo

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  6. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Thank you all so very much. I don't have much to offer in return at the moment, but I do want you all to know that I love you all and really really appreciate the support. You're all great people and this community is one of the best I've ever been a part of. Godspeed to you all and thank you!

I've already made some adjustments to the Go fund me posting and I will keep updating the page as we learn more. We're really pulling hard for this little girl.

-Paulie

7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I wish good health to your beloved kanine friend

8. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I wish you all the best, brave Lucy :)

9. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

My thoughts and prayers are with you Paulie and Lucy.

10. Flientje Vantmeeden

Flientje Vantmeeden Localization Team

Get well soon, Lucy!
    Best wishes for Lucy and the rest of your family!

Paulie Walnuts likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.