Just realized, you can readily use almost every skill in the game in 1 fight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its been said the limiting factor to your power in this game is the combat deck.

You can switch between 10 decks readily and if you have every spot locked, you can have every magic spell, tactical glyph, and a weapon and armor skill available to use in a single fight. So a practiced individual can literally use nearly every combat skill in the game in a fight. If you use unlocked glyphs you could really have everything ready when you need it.

Im also being told the cooldown on consumables resets if you swap deck, so you could continuously spam potions. EDIT: im told this is incorrect

I then thought maybe your gear limits you but people can switch weapons very quickly, and even if you switch armor its only a few seconds.

Is there anybody that is using 3 or 4 decks in a single fight?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I would use more than 2, if we could handle the change faster.
    Currently we can click on the button to switch to alt and back, so most time I am using 1 deck to cast longlasting buffs and than switch to my standard deck.

It would be fine, if we could have an icon for each deck, we could place below the combat bar
    May be we could choose icons from the Skill tree, like 'Fire' or 'Sword' to 'name' the deck behind.
    So we could choose our decks 'Fire', 'Pole', 'Death' ... depending on our specification very fast ...

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  3. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

Gear is very limiting. Changing a full set of gear with deck swap is 10+ seconds of doing nothing and can be interrupted by damage. That's a huge deal mid combat.

The number of glyphs in a deck is a limit, but you're definitely not limited to the number of slows on your bar if you're using an unlocked deck and possibly swapping decks.

I use different decks for different parts of wave-based events such as the Hard Mode of Troll room in Lost Vale.

EMPstrike, Lesni and Dhanas like this.
  4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

As far as skills go, you do still have the option to have 100 skills locked and available in combat. Is anyone taking advantage of that?

If you dont link gear and just use the same set you can instant swap

5. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

swapping gear in the middle of a fight is ridiculous. i think it should take longer, you take 500% damage while doing s0, and your movement speed is reduced by like 70%.

switching weapons more than once is also equally ridiculous.

i would hope that eventually, theyd limit it such that the penalties for swapping out gear and different sets of weapons make it prohibitive in pvp.

swapping the decks / skills is perfectly fine, though i do wish that too were more skill based.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

What im saying is that your gear seems more limiting than your deck. Your deck doesnt really limit your skills because you can just insta-swap between 10 decks with 10 hotbar slots.

It makes the ammount of practice needed to use what skill in what deck you need to use incredible, but it kinda makes the whole “you are limited by the ammount of slots in your hotbar” not true

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It's so (relatively) easy to do in FFXI that it became an expected part of the game. The only problem there is with timing in the client that causes it to not work well in macros without delays, and it un-targets you from other players (like the healer!) I really don't want that to become an expected part of SotA play. I think it's okay with some limits, but it shouldn't be so ingrained that people are expected to micro-manage stat buffs from gear by swapping gear just before casting spells and making special attacks.

8. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

The creativity and diversity of the SotA deck system is kindof cool.

Jason_M and Jaesun like this.
  9. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I dont know weather readily is the exact word for this situation. Possible, yes, though terribly impractical beyond the novelty. Youll need to swap your armor (torso at least) to use the relevant defensive skills. You will get far from optimal results using damage avoidance skills with light armor and dodge skilla with heavy armor.

Skills, playstyles, and equipment have certain nexuses... nexi... where they perform at a much higher level. Heavy armor, earth magic, and melee. Mixed armor, fire/death, and melee. Light armor, AOE magic, archery....

These de facto templates exist because they possess synergy between their disparate parts.

Could you swap between templates in battle? As @Armeleon Vesaz mentioned, you can, but it's impractical. And, as he also mentioned, it is most useful when uaed between fights.

I think most people, myself included, swap between very similar decks because it's just plain inconvenient to change your playstyle for a perceived and likely marginal advantage. I use parallel decks where one or two glyphs only are different (like replacing rend with banish undead) and use very different decks for different adventures. I run a mixed-armor spellsword deck for lower level encounters where I can afford to fool around or/and benefit from AOE spells. I sometimes swap to a heavy-armor deck if things get real, but I usually try to keep my playstyles separate for the sake of comfort (and muscle memory).

Vero likes this.
  10. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I do swap between more than 2 decks.

I have decks that are no linked gear so swap quickly. It is obviously not useful for damage changes, as for magic you need to change to your attunement gear for the relevant magic tree. However I use it for having access to more utility spells, where the damage is not really what I'm needing.

I also have decks for different weapons where i also don't link the weapon, you can change weapon manually by dragging the weapon from the inventory to the character sheet. Which i think is right to be allowed as having a bow then switching to a sword when the mob get close should be a viable tactic. This is especially useful for boss fights where even though i'm a bow user i will swap to a two handed sword and switch decks to a deck with coup de grace when the health is low enough.

I also have a deck that is no linked gear that has unlocked health potions. This is is my panic deck, expensive in gold, but is kind of OP being able to spam potions. Use it less now that there is no death decay.

I would say, I use this because it is available, but I actually don't think it should be allowed.
    A deck is supposed to how you limit a player for a fight, as the skill system doesn't (which i like), I do think this is a bit OP.

I would like to see the main deck and alt to swap as it does now, but I think the other 8 (or 9 if you keep you your alt deck below 10) should switch more slowly than the 2. So even if you aren't changing gear it have more down side to switch. Say make them 4 time slower.

Regards
    Spung

Jason_M likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.