Re: Player Feedback on R60 Change: Being Fully Encumbered Will Block Loot & Trade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke Olahorand, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Nope, but I'm well aware of what my encumberence gets to stocking enough seeds water to even deal with a very modest sized garden spread across 2 village lots.
    As a person who crafts on a daily basis, my encumberance is always through the roof - I think my 'cooking supplies' box weighs 20k pounds.
    I recently organized all of my deco and I was stood at well over 40k pounds of 'stuff' for 6 hours as I sorted it into containers.
    I regularly do large deco projects in which I need to transport significant weight of items to the lot/project in question.

Having to cherry pick stuff out to craft with - fine, its a hassle but not a dealbreaker.
    Having to make 3 trips to get more water - again, hassle.
    Trying to organize deco while keeping everything in boxes on the floor and having 15 windows open (instead of just inventory dumping it all and sorting it) - big hassle.
    Not being able to go shopping and buy things off a vendor without running around trying to find a bank for each transaction...hassle.

My concern is the cumulative hassle that this change will add vs. what benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I've always thought it was a bit silly that there was no limit on encumberance. But after it being this way for the 3+ years I've been around to change it without considering some of these impacts and making adjustments seems extremely shortsighted. Is there a reason why furniture has to have high weight? Building blocks?

Carrying hundreds of buckets of water? Will still be possible, yeah? Where am I putting these, balancing them on my head? I reject "realism" as a reason in a game where my crops don't get watered by rain.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

@DarkStarr @Chris
    Will brewing profitability be looked at when this change goes in?

Drake Aedus likes this.
  3. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I can't argument against the wish to fix bugs and exploits, although I never had any idea what could be an exploit of being encumbered. But this change is against the QoL improvements made in the last releases.

But like all people I'm lazy.
    If I craft I take my chest with me and not only the things I probably will need. I always forget the fuels.
    If I decorate for an event I take my chests with me. I never know what I will need so I take what I have with me.

The last time when I become 250% overloaded was when I started butchering all the meat collected in my chest. I was slightly overloaded when I started and massive encumbered when everything was done. As long as we have crafting material that is raw 1 weight and refined 2 weight this change is annoying.

But now I understand why dungeon rooms weight only 1 when finished. But I now have to go several times to craft all needed rooms.

Duke Olahorand, smack and Drake Aedus like this.
  4. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I have never had 3x my encumbrance in weight on me and I craft all the time, have no fear, it can be done.

Dhanas likes this.
  5. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Good for you. I'm always looking for slav.... mean helping hands, so now you would not mind to become my and other transport mule?

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  6. disorder

disorder Avatar

I believe this is aimed towards people Farming Nightshade with 11+ Town Lots worth of Farms, crafting 1000's of Deadly Poisons at a time, and all the guys you see collecting Buckets of Water at Well's 24/7, and all these sorts of things. If its not the intent, it is certainly a nice side effect I suppose, from there point of view.

7. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

i am currently at 4.5x encumbrance crafting catapults. THIS IS NORMAL. each time i craft stuff, i weigh this much. i have 1532 planters that need 3064 water to start and 1532 water for the last 2 water cycles. i can do that slowly with the huge encumbrance, but i USE the water count to keep track of plots missed. cant to that the new way. cannot drag a bank device or bag around as my plots have no space between them to drop it. ITS A HUGE INCONVENIENCE TO BIG TIME OLDER PLAYERS JUST TO FIX SOME STUPID EXPLOIT.
    when i go to buy stuff, i commonly purchase 4x to 5x encumbrance worth of stuff. what happens when i cannot move in SOME OTHER TOWN after purchasing something? im stuck at that guys vendor with no bank device around.
    if you are gonna do this stupid idea, then why not make it 10x?

smack, Mishikal and StarLord like this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, as we've seen with other systems, a "fix" meant to stop a certain behavior or achieve a certain goal is added, with severely detrimental side effects that don't seem to have been well thought out.
    Water weighs 2 each, and even if you are only planting a -single- lot, the initial seed/water for even 1 village of planters easily puts your weight over 1000. Not a problem for high level players, no.
    But I'm looking at lower level folks whose max carry is a few hundred and its a problem.

What behavior is this meant to address?
    Water-macroers? With appropriate gear and buffs they can still go for HOURS, so its not going to solve that.
    People using alts as infinite banks? Is this really a problem, considering you can achieve the same thing with a couple of boxes on your property?
    Parking alts in adventure scenes to hold loot? I mean I guess that's an issue, but again, appropriately geared and minimally invested they'll still be able to carry quite a lot in 'spoils'.
    People picking up their "box of materials" and crafting with it? Why is this even a problem? Its their stuff. Why the need to artificially add inventory management steps to and from a box you're stood right next to instead of holding?
    Am I missing something?

The behavior this is meant to limit, isn't going to be limited all that much.
    Particularly since you can just haul a bank device around with you if you're working on your own lots.

Meanwhile, its throwing a HUGE inconvenience to legitimate players just trying to deco, water their crops, etc.

Once again we have a knee jerk, bandaid solution that isn't really going to address the issue its meant to address, but is going to cause a whole bunch of other issues.
    So, what is this actually solving/preventing?

Is this about farming? If so, fine - you just made every farmer have to waste time making more trips ... and for every person who ?farms too much? that you want to 'punish' you're punishing 50 normal players. Seems a bit counterproductive.

As asked again and again, why not communicate the issue you're trying to solve and allow the community, who has far better insight into how stuff works on the ground, assist in coming up with solutions that aren't worse than the problem they're meant to address.

Based on what I'm seeing on QA/feedback about this issue, I guess there's also going to be a WHOLE lot of customer support tickets for missing, vanished, poofed items as a result of this...over the holiday week....

9. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

This is a huge quality of life nerf for my crafting experience. I have a single chest that contains all my crafting mats that weighs about 20,000 which I keep next to the crafting tables in my house. When I am crafting, I drop that chest on my char and craft whatever I want.

Having to play inventory micro-management when crafting is NOT FUN.

Losing crafted items because I am overweight is worse then not fun, it's just bad game design.

When this change was originally proposed, it was only going to take effect in adventure scenes. Let's do that plz.

10. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

This seems a good observation. When I farm I load up on around 4-500 buckets of water, I occasionally need more so let's say 1,000 water for (for me) a crazy farming binge where I plant my 2 small properties, including a three storey greenhouse and the POT public farm in Dawn's Keep. When I get online I'll work out how many plants that is.

However I have read recently that some folks are carrying and using 5,000, or significantly more (maybe twice that?) buckets of water per watering which made my jaw drop. This is industrial scale agriculture and I'm in awe of it, but it's something I wouldn't do. I don't want to plant, water and harvest crops all day, it doesn't sound like fun.

BUT for 'players' not playing for fun but playing rather for gold to sell or convert to Cotos to sell to players for rl cash, I can see how this could easily be exploited if carrying capacity and bulk trade quantities to NPCs and other players is, as now virtually unlimited and uncontrolled. Selling hundreds of thousands of garlic or mandrake, or rather tens of thousands of poisons to NPCs for amazing sums of gold is not what is intended for a fun, recreational game. I'll leave it to others to debate whether it qualifies as an exploit, but it isn't what was intended.

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Logged on to the QA server to test a small part of this myself. As expected, you won't be able to pick up anything if it weighs more than your max encumbrance, but good to know that Fully Encumbered = Fully Overencumbered. Always a good time when people know and use their own terminology correctly. What I mean by that, is that if you have a base encumbrance of say 450 pounds, and you are at or over that but not at the 3x limit, you will still be able to loot and pick thing up into your inventory up until the 3x limit.

Better... the wording could have been more clear, but as has already been shown, there are a lot of unintended consequences with this, and this particular player is definitely not ready for prime time.

Vaiden Luro and Jason_M like this.
  12. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I just think it's a system people will be able to adapt to, this knee jerk reaction is probably expected. If people are gonna threaten to leave the game over a minor inconvenience then they probably weren't going to stick around anyway.

13. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Maybe this is the case, I'm sure that the Devs have looked at the data and identified the extreme cases which this change is entirely to mitigate against.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The Public Garden in Dawn's Keep has space for 570 plants, including the Greenhouse.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  15. Khal Drogo

Khal Drogo Avatar

Whatever the reason for implementing this feature i hope it wont turn into a system that causes people to lose items just because they were over the weight limit ..so @DarkStarr i hope these losess ( from crafting) people are posting from QA are just bugs that havnt been worked out yet .

Steevodeevo likes this.
  16. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

penalizing 99.9% of a community for 0.1% (?) abusing the system is definitely not fair. If some people abuse it, why not sending them a warning followed by temporary bans eventually instead of ruining complete parts of the game, crafting, construction etc etc !
    another example of the perversion of this idea if i want to craft 20 4X4X4 stone blocks, I need 4000 granites, weighting 1600 pounds, my char cant carry that much at 3X (I have max 1300 with the 3X factor). Does it mean i cant use the 20 batch crafting anymore?

@Chris @DarkStarr @Lord British, this thread has already 5 pages and it is time to communicate with your community ! All the people here are old members of the community, highlighting extremely valid points !

17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Nope. They sure haven't. Go read my bug report.

istyrl likes this.
  18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I did. Go read the bug report I filed and linked to in this forum.

19. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Why did they make this change? Crafters are pissed....

istyrl likes this.
  20. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

It wont prevent them from doing it, they will use multiple alts in multi boxing and it will solve their problem, they probably even macro it already, it will just change their macros

Mishikal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.