Re: Player Feedback on R60 Change: Being Fully Encumbered Will Block Loot & Trade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke Olahorand, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

You should report it as bug, because those nightshades weigh 1k, not 20kk as the game says.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

COTO's have been changed to weigh Zero. Reagents will have their weight reduced by 80% so that 100 reagents weigh 1 pound. That will be in the initial live release.

Now as to the reasons why we did this.
    • 100% of other games do this
    • It causes significant server load to have to send and receive information when we have players carrying 30,000+ items
    • It opens a number of big exploits in a number of systems that are built around finite numbers of items.
    • It makes life easier for botters and gold farmers

Mishikal's report might have us pull this temporarily.

3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Can Obsidian chips benefit from weight reduction as well ?..taking necessary mats to obsidian forge to craft just 10 plate chests can mean anywhere from 6-7k weight .

Nvm just realised they are also reagents... good change .

Mishikal and smack like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Synergy Blaize and Mishikal like this.
  5. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

As my mother would tell me when I was a yoof, "Well if all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?" Seriously, "everybody else is doing it" is about the WORST defense I can think of.

Then set a hard cap based on the number of items. As it stands now, this POUNDS new accounts, but it hardly affects high-level accounts as with GM+ Str, GM+ Heavy lifter, Strangth of Earth, Belt of the Ox, Ring of Brittle Brawn we can STILL carry ridiculous amounts of things.

Then FIX THOSE SYSTEMS.

Non issue. If botters are causing a problem, ban them.

6. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

If this goes in with the crafting system as it is, can we get a 100% refund for a bit on crafting skill to drop them into gathering instead? The skills themselves are not changed I understand but I would no longer want anything to do with crafting if this system goes in with the way crafting currently is, and would gladly just dump it all into gathering instead to sell mats.

Vaiden Luro and Tiina Onir like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

Also, based on what you said about technical issues around item counts, this seems like a band aid vs. fixing the root underlying code that can't handle it. Wouldn't it be better to fix how the client / server handles large item counts so it's not an issue?

And to be clear, is that 30,000 items in total (include stack counts), or 30,000 separate items regardless of stack count, or a single item of 30,000 stacked?

Mishikal likes this.
  8. Lained

Lained Avatar

Poor Ven Dor loses a sale. :(
    Thanks! :)

9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Sorry but the code is not the problem. Sending data for massive amounts of inventory just so players never have to use banks or chests is just not doable. There is a reason why all games do this. Sending data for thousands and thousands of items and querying the DB for information on thousands and thousands of sometimes unique items with unique data is just not something that is doable. You guys just saying, "Well fix the code" just makes it clear you don't understand the problem.

@smack I'm lowering water bucket weight now.

10. smack

smack Avatar

Think outside the box @Chris...based on what you just said, this isn't a new DB problem that can't be solved in other creative ways that doesn't cause this sort of reaction from your player base :)

Awesome, thanks!

11. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Thats awsome. Thanks.

nimueCW and Synergy Blaize like this.
  12. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Are you saying you're doing a query for EACH item in a stack!? That's... that's just insane.

If what you are saying is people have so many discrete stacks that it's causing a problem, you need to limit THAT, which this change doesn't really do.
    Well, and also FIX STACKING (which has needed done and has been requested for a while).

13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

From a crafters perspective, I don't understand where the problem is located. Does it even have to do with us or is this collateral damage?

Chests max out at 300 items. Most of mine don't have that many, they have 15 - 50 giant stacks of a single item type.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Stacking fix please. Buy orders into one stack in bank would cut down on a good number of calls.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  15. golruul

golruul Avatar

Just discovered this thread/change.

My use case is that I stuff all my crafting ingredients into one trunk and grab it when I need to craft stuff (on my lot). Forcing me to manually pick out X+Y+Z ingredient for each craft is an inventory micromanagement nightmare and adds absolutely nothing positive to the game. There is absolutely no fun happening for anyone when you're forced to do this -- it just adds varying amounts of frustration.

There needs to be ways to let players craft without forcing them in inventory micromanagement hell. Currently, on live, I use a single trunk for this. What option is there when this change goes in?

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Another optimization: half the furniture has a maker's mark and is installable, the other half (including new stuff) doesn't. Get rid of the makers mark so we can stack thungs like antique wooden furniture. Want to see what can and can't be stacked quickly? Look in my bank, that'll show you a good number of them.

17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Better get auto-decline roll for loot put in first too, with a toggle button. People are going to get ruined half way through their grind fest, or start turning auto roll off. Then everyone else is irritated waiting.

Lots of edge cases.

18. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I'm glad to see that this will get some more work before being implemented. I'm quite optimistic that fearless leaders and the fine men and women of QA will get this servicable, however much time it takes. In the meantime I'll content myself with bombarding water botters with off-color insults.

Mac2 likes this.
  19. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I assume that was meant to say it makes life HARDER for botters and gold farmers?

Also, IRL gold is almost 20 times heavier than water.
    If the same metrics are used in game, wouldn't that solve a lot of the issues with harvesting a lot of gold by botters?
    If gold is extremely heavy (as in real life) then harvesting great quantities would put the weight penalty on the botter.
    FWIW.

20. Mordai

Mordai Avatar

1) This is an excuse and says absolutely nothing in regard to a reason.
    2) Then why do you have recipes that require thousands of resource units and spam the loot table with rusty silver (and other worthless crap)?
    3) See 2 above.
    4) Then maybe you should target them specifically and reduce the collateral damage. Better yet, fix the underlying systems before you rip off the band-aids you've placed previously.

With the noted reductions, this change probably won't effect me much, except maybe for dungeon crafting. However, it's going to make new players and decorators miserable.

ShirZ, Tiina Onir and Mishikal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.