Re: Player Feedback on R60 Change: Being Fully Encumbered Will Block Loot & Trade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke Olahorand, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I think the solution is just to set the weight of every object in the game to .0000000000000000001. ;)

disorder likes this.
  2. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I'm sure the devs are trying to do what is best for the game.
    Give them time to work on it.
    It can be changed if this is not the solution.

3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

How about the wonderful calculation being done in @Lesni 's screen shot? 20 million pounds... when it weighs 1000. Maybe that would be a supplemental reason for pushing this change back?

Mishikal likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

This has been pain point for a while. It will only get worse as we add more data to items to maintain their history as we've promised. The system right now is actually VERY high performance but even a very high performance system has to transfer data to clients. Reminder, this is working and also, this is just one of many reasons.

@Tiina Onir No, we don't do per item in stacks. Yes, that would be insane. Also, stackable objects are generally light anyways. Also, Vladamir, I didn't say that, Tina did. We only load data for unique items but players end up collecting and/or crafting a TON of those.

@Vladamir Begemot In addition to the server load and client load this causes there are exploit involved as well. Us working around those exploits are punishing everyone. The latest example is brewing. We finally had a system that took time and required space so the number that could be crafted was finite. Felt like a system where we could FINALLY give players what they wanted and create a crafting loop that had some minor profit to it. Well guess what, because players have infinite capacity for weight and items, people just have an alt login and he can craft and carry and infinite number of whiskey barrels. Yes, we want to make the design work the way we really want it, which is it only ages if placed somewhere but that also incurs a lot of server load and work which we haven't had time for yet.

So yes, to some extent, this is a "This is why we can't have nice things" but that isn't the only reason.

Just for the record, my design for this was that it was just for adventure zones but I got push back for that being inconsistent behavior. I'm currently lobbying moving this back to my plan of only enforcing this outside of towns. This will still generate extra server load although according to the "Experts" in this thread, that is just an excuse or bad code or a bug on our side so we can continue to work to improve loading 30,000 unique items without touching the database or sending any information to your client. This also won't fix the whiskey case but we need to make that work correctly anyways.

As for Lesni's screen shot, that was only on Vendors and fixed already. Again though, please post bugs in the bug forum and thanks to those who already have posted some.

5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

@Chris any chance to convince you to also increase water available on NPC vendor ? Buying 500k water/month 300-500 at a time its a huge/boring time sink. Would be a great QoL improvement.

Mac2, Mishikal, Net and 4 others like this.
  6. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

@Chris, we love you, please don't ever get too pissed with us. We're passionate about the game, obviously not as passionate as someone who writes and creates it with there own blood sweat and tears, but we do get a bit excited. I assume you would prefer that to apathy (most of the time)? I am here a lot and I can't believe how much time you spend on this project, and as a UK player, I see you checking stuff on the forums at crazy hours for where you are located, all with a young child to nurture.

I hate when folks are really rude and nasty here, which is unfortunately quite often, and as you say, for a game like SOTA, we're all a bit older, many are professionals or mentors in our lives so people tend to be a bit 'expert' in their opinions as you say, when really they're not and if they were inside the project they would probably have a bit more respect.

Keep up the great work.

7. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

The screen shot was only 1000 pounds not 20 million.
    The only reason to post it was to show that buying in bulk was an issue if it caused you to be encumbered.
    I don't think it was a bug but by design from what I have read.

8. Chris

There was actually a bug where on a vendor it would calculate the weight of the stack then multiply that by the number in the stack! So effectively item count X item count X weight per item! This has been fixed...

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The idea that you could hold unlimited weight was insane to begin with.

10. Chris

Thanks and also, this is a frustrating topic for me as it isn't what I wanted.

Also, update that currently the plan is to change this so you can't loot corpses or gather resources or creature chests or world items when 3x encumbered. Later task will be to move whiskey so it doesn't age while in your inventory.

11. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

Crafting tables pulling mats from the bank would rock, obviously only if it could check if it was there without loading everything like some allocation table, then again I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about unless it's hardware. Coding would make me rage. *bows down* (I think EVE might do this somehow)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  12. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

the idea of enforcing it only on adventure scenes would FIX the problem big time. we only really overload in town crafting and planting stuff. in adventure zones, you always are keeping your weight UNDER 1X.
    i dont carry a chest full of every crafting material i have. it stays in the bank. but i do make pouches of stuff that i am currently crafting and those weigh 2000 or 3000 and i walk a few steps to the table. crafting 1000 of the same item at a time is common for me, especially when smelting. my crafting supplies chest weighs 46k and it stays in the bank.
    we do get overweight when we buy stuff. happens to me all the time so slow walking home is common.
    the ability to slow walk big overencumbrances is one of the ADVANTAGES of this game. screw the other games. none of us exploit it, WE USE IT as needed. serious crafters are like me in this regard.
    in my opinion, the BEST FIX is enforcing this on adventure scenes only.

Mishikal likes this.
  13. Mordai

Mordai Avatar

Thanks for taking time to engage and clarify some of this. It really does help to understand what to expect.

14. Net

Net Avatar

I would not mind if crafting table was also container and you could use only mats stored inside so when crafting I would not be going through all the junk in my inventory. And crafted items could be also stored in the crafting table until you could pick them up. Though that would not work well for public stations.

15. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Chris Thank you for looking into this. The above looks like the best solution and meets some of the expectations that have been set over the years, particularly with housing/decorating, crafting, etc. It makes little sense to me to have unlimited weight in adventuring scenes, but in town scenes I've always appreciated the leeway because it's very helpful. Fixing brewing in the "correct" way rather than the temporary band-aid seems like the right way to go as well. It sucks that people are so quick to find ways to abuse systems, and I know having to figure out how to handle that consumes a lot of the developers time that could be better spent elsewhere without that headache.

Vaiden Luro, Tiina Onir and Elrond like this.
  16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

WoW does this now, last time I played it, as well (Pull crafting materials from your bank). The problem I see there is most people have very limited bank slots (although they can of course buy more). I was lucky enough to have a pledge that came with a lot of bank slots + a POT bundle that gave me even more, so it's not an issue for me personally, but it could be an issue for F2P accounts if they haven't finished the story line and gotten a row lot yet.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  17. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Thank you all for the feedback. We have slightly modified this so that it no longer affects Crafting based on your examples of how you use the systems. I have updated the 3 places we mention the new rules (original encumbrance post, R60 posts on web & forum).

Here is the updated information:
    • Fully Encumbered Blocks Loot/Trade: Characters cannot gain items via loot or trade if doing so would cause them to exceed the weight limit of 3x their base capacity. "Loot" includes items from corpses, adventure chests, resource nodes (excluding agriculture), fishing, and world items. Making this change fixes numerous bugs and exploits. Players who are already exceeding this amount will still be able to move but not pick up any new items until they get under the 3x cap. NOTE: These new rules do NOT limit crafting.

18. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Fair enough, good changes.

19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

So decorating lots is still going to be a nightmare?

Cordelayne likes this.
  20. Mordai

Mordai Avatar

@Chris @DarkStarr Thanks for adjusting this. Much better, IMO.

Synergy Blaize and Lesni like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.