Re: Player Feedback on R60 Change: Being Fully Encumbered Will Block Loot & Trade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke Olahorand, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Awesome... Sorry for my previous misunderstanding of this intended change & Thank You, for this clarification!
    & Thank You to @Chris for the the change of weight in buckets of water for agriculture!

2. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

MOST EXCELLENT FIX darkstarr. we all THANK YOU AND CHRIS for looking into this.

3. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

not if you have a mobile bank, you can still move your chest on the ground if you do not put it in your bag on the QA server (what i usually do, but I have a mobile bank)

4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Mobile bank is not a valid solution for all scenarios, see https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...cumbrance-still-not-ready-for-release.146609/

Thankfully they appear to have reversed this based on the follow up from the developers.

5. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

Mishikal, I truly do not understand you issue here, you use items from the same lot right, why don't you just move it from inside your lot to outside your lot without placing it in your bag? I agree it requires a bit of organization but you get overloaded while doing so , but would not get the warning message. or you are carrying multiple chests at the same time and therefore you would not be able to do it anymore. lets take it offline anyway i need to visit your house! Where is it?

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And here's hoping that one day all of this will make pack animals useful, well when we get them that is ;)

Simon LeBon and istyrl like this.
  7. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

@Chris why dont you make all zones multiplayer , this way players can report bots and get rid of them.

after 15 diferent reports bot become pvp taged and we can pick pocket them at will. ( non affecting afk players)

Dhanas likes this.
  8. Fiero Nord

Fiero Nord Archived Account

For this you have my undying gratitude! :D

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  9. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Please, no. That would defeat the whole premise of selective multiplayer. We are already being put into multiplayer on the overland map and in towns; doing so in all zones would not be copacetic to those of us who wish to adventure solely with friends.

10. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

@Chris @DarkStarr: These changes make it far more reasonable, so thank you.

That said, it still seems you're going all round-about to address a performance problem. As I understand it, inventory weight is only tangentially related to the performance. By that I mean, 5 tons of granite block (1 stack of 25,000 granite blocks) is substantially less intensive to load then 5 tons of daggers (10,000 individual daggers, which can't be stacked because they have per-item properties). Ergo the problem isn't the weight, it's the number of inventory slots occupied. The more direct solution then should be to hard-cap the number of inventory slots, not the weight.

This addresses most of the crafter complaints about the amount of resources they need to craft.
    This directly addresses your performance issue, in a way we cannot (by design or by accident) circumvent.
    This is more fair in that players all have the system load they can cause be uniform.
    This keeps you from having different rules for Adv. Scenes and for Towns, which is counter-intuitive to players.
    This keeps you from having two different code paths to debug.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

So that made me laugh out loud, and here is why:

Those chests are never coming off those walls, for a number of reasons:

a) The walls are extremely buggy, and it's very difficult to get anything up on them
    b) The building's dimensions have literally changed since it was decorated. If you wander around, you can find things like shelves over paintings that can't normally occur.
    c) When my wife is decorating, everything is placed into a very specific spot at a very specific angle/rotation. She can spend 20-30 minutes sometimes getting an item exactly right. I've no wish to incur her wrath by moving something she placed.

So in sum, no, taking the chests off the wall is not an option. If I need to classify a set of items, I'll get a container from our chest of storage containers, rename it to the same category, and fill it from the chest. ;)

Additionally, we have multiple properties, so it's not simply a matter of taking something outside. I transport decor to several different scenes (Generally via bank/remote bank).

I'll PM you about the house locations. ;)

12. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I get from Chris' and Darkstarr's posts that crippling crafting was not intended. But I cannot read from these replies how that would not be the case?

I think crafting will be even less fun now. All the many different things you need to craft an item, that is only an intermediate step to craft another item that needs additional materials... I tend to always forget one of the things that are needed. Then I'm at the crafting table, notice, sigh, and go back get what is missing. As a carpenter with a furniture shop I don't make batches of the same things usually, but one of this, two of that... So I started putting my entire crafting chest into my inventory before going to the crafting station. Only frustration free way for me. Not being able to do this anymore and thus having to look in the recipe book that is a joke regarding user friendliness (searchability?) for several recipes I want to craft, then write down what I need, then get it, then go to the crafting station... No way, this is making crafting about the most un-fun thing I can imagine in this game (well ok perhaps hunting for recipes in different NPC towns is a tad more annoying).

And I love decorating. Which will also get harder now.

And I hate harvesting and buy large quantities of materials (ok I won't need that anymore if I stop crafting...)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Katrina Akhart likes this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't know what the exploits were that were causing problems, but I think it would be a lot easier to have reasonable carry restrictions if carrying stuff around was less necessary for routine townie stuff.

For example, if lots had a certain amount of built in storage that could be accessed via the UI from anywhere on the property, people could access their crafting supplies, water, deco, etc, without having to carry it around or stand where it's at. Being able to ship items to the bank when in town could make it possible to buy things in bulk without making a bunch of mule runs also.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  14. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

Talking shouting crying and arguing with the crowd i think a couple of issues are tried to be fixed here , but IMHO (I may be wrong) can be summarized by the following
    Crafting huge amount of objects by having unbelievable amounts of objects in your pockets while doing so
    Doing that by botting (macro softwares)

This is an abuse of the system that can definitely affects everybody's performances (real machine performamce, and gaming experience as well). Indeed, should i spend hours processing ore in my limited game time when some people may just launch a macroer to do so during the night when they sleep? (replace ore by poison , regs, water etc etc...). Some people do it completely legit though, do not miss the point!
    It surely needs to be fixed but with a thorough study of any changes consequences (that have nothing to do with the abuse, see Mishikal comments, my comment of the impossibility to craft some blueprint because they require more than 3X carrying capacity in granite weight...), Portalarium response to our reaction was astonishingly fast and moderate and I think it is a very good move. Now the problems may still subsists, this game cannot be, for some people just another bitcoin mining software (not really is but you get the point), our job is to eventually submit some idea on how to mitigate them and also make sure this kind of behavior are not accepted by the community (guild rules, merchant/crafting community rules?)

Vaiden Luro and Tila Tenderfoot like this.
  15. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I personally just grab materials for what I am going to craft out of my house and head to the crafting table, I had no idea you needed to carry 50 days worth of crafting material with you every time you crafted or it would be a "nightmare". And when I deco'd my house I made multiple trips back and forth to chests and the bank, it took me some hours, I didn't realize this this was also a "nightmare scenario" that I was a part of. I had this wierd feeling that it was somehow right that I couldn't physically carry enough materials to make 2000 hammers. Thank you all for dispelling my ignorance and sense of realism. The nightmare can finally end.

Vaiden Luro and Vodalian like this.
  16. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Might have been some that misread the updated statement. Behavior will remain the same for all crafting and player lots and moving decos around in towns and all of that. The only thing that is changing for this release is that you won't be able to take world items, loot creatures, or gather resources if you are more than 3x your carrying capacity.

Also, reminder, 3x encumbrance isn't just a little overloaded. At 3x encumbrance you're already moving at 1/3rd speed and burning focus every step. If there are people who go around playing in adventure scenes more overloaded than that, they aren't doing it for fun.

Vaiden Luro, Dulayne, Bigg and 20 others like this.
  17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Well if they are, then they are masochists! I couldn't imagine adventuring at 1.5× encumbrance, let alone 2 or 3×! :D

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

3x most peoples encumberance is like 1500 or more.

19. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

my 3x encumber limit is 1096. now try to create a maze with that limit in one go. Since I have to suffer now, you guys will have suffer a lot more in the future. *goes back in her dungeon*

Paladin Michael likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The posts above imply maze stuff wont be affected.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.