Old UO player - Interested in SoTA

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by marcelomusza, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcelomusza

marcelomusza Avatar

Hello folks,
    this is Marcelo from Argentina. I was an UO player since my childhood, from the very first versions of the game. I´ve always loved the old-school game mechanics in MMORPG games, that in my opinion were never matched with those of UO. The game experience was unique.

I know about the existence of SoTA for a while now, but given my busy life I never found the time to invest in it. But I would like to give it an opportunity since it seems to be the one and only true successor of UO.

Now that the game has a few months live now, could you please share your thoughts in a few honest words? is the game experience, leveling skills, travelling around the world similar to UO?

Thanks in advance, and I hope I can find again that hole that UO left in my life occupied once again with such an excellent experience.

Regards,
    Marce

2. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

3. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

Welcome to the forum Marcelo. UO was one of those ground breaking games. The memories I have with friends back from 20 some years ago, ingame back then... cherished.

In my opinion... Shroud of the Avatar (in it's current state) is truly a solid successor of the Ultima series. There are hints of previous Ultima games prior to Ultima Online. As far as MMORPGs go, this sandbox is well done. It gets most things right and I enjoy it a lot.

I think it's worth the look. Particularly since you (like me) have been looking for that similar feeling you got with UO. It will fall short if you are looking for open world PvP.

You should try it out. Download it and give it a whirl. Form your own opinion over the course of 10-20 hours of play. If you need some help or some tips, I'd be willing to share and help (Simon LeBon in game) and there are LOTS of people who will. This community is excellent. But like UO... if you don't do a bit of reading, research, and reaching out... it can be a little daunting. Much like UO was, there is no constant hand holding and instruction. You've got to search a bit and realize many things you'll learn through experience... trial and error... and just poking around and trying things.

What kind of specs you have on your computer?

Nevyn Waldail and Gaelis like this.
  4. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Welcome to Novia @marcelomusza

If you decide to play the mmo side you can look me up in game Proteus Tempest or perhaps @Obsidian Tempest who is the Governor of Moongate Travelers guild which has traveled from UO to Novia.

We have many old UO players. Give us a try when you enter Novia.

5. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Welcome marcelomusza! In your travels in New Britannia, you will come across many Avatars from Old Britannia. I am one as well.

My suggestion is take it slow. Read as much information as you can about what you like to do in an MMO or what you liked to do in UO. Find out how it's the same and how it's different. Your journey will be unique to you. Do you like crafting? Learn as much as you can about the crafting system. Do you like to PVP? Learn as much as you can about that and ways to get going in the right direction. Do you like keeping the citizens safe by killing creatures? Our combat system is very complicated if used to it's full potential so make sure you learn as much as you can about it before you get too far. Do you enjoy housing? That's one of our most interesting systems so take the time to really look into how it works. When I first started UO, I lived out of my bankbox for many months until I could afford a tiny little one room shack. In New Britannia, there are Inns where you can keep your stuff. So no need to be homeless unless you want to be.

Most importantly: have fun! Take your time! Explore! Ask! Befriend people! And welcome to New Britannia!

Simon LeBon and Cordelayne like this.
  6. marcelomusza

marcelomusza Avatar

Hi guys and thanks for the welcome!
    I've downloaded it yesterday and tried but with my PC I can run it with the lowest graphic settings lol.
    But I will still give it a try (I plan to buy a new pc shortly anyways).

In UO what I enjoyed the most was treasure hunting, PVE in general, and exploring the world. I've never been much interested in PVP, so that's one of the reasons of why I loved UO, with its versatility to do anything I want. If this game keeps that essence then it will surely be a keeper for me.

With my current spec in the pc I will be limited to the amount of things I will be able to enjoy, but I will start looking around and getting the feel of it. I've been checking screenshots and some gameplay videos and it looks pretty nice with high quality settings.

Thanks all for your welcome, I hope to see you in game soon!
    Kind regards,
    Marcelo

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @marcelomusza. Yes Sota is graphic intensive since housing is such a big part of the game and we all do love our stuff. ;) So far we cannot place things in the world as you could in Ultima Online but later once we get performance ironed out surely the devs will try to find some placeable things throughout the world that have time limits, but for now performance work is always being done to optimize the game.

Since becoming a backer of this game I have updated my computer too. Many games are needing us to have stronger computers and as gamers we just must be able to play what we want to play. I had my computer built so that it can be easier upgraded but hopefully it will last for a few years and even more preferably ;). I have 32 gb ram, an SSD SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB that only has Sota on it so far ;), and graphics card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GDDR5 6GB. I also have 3 tb on another drive so hopefully I am set for a minute ;).

I wish you many happy journeys in the game and I also hope it will run for you until you get your new rig. I'm Majoria in the game if I can ever help. *cheers*.

8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Welcome! Just like in UO, a big part of your enjoyment will be determined by who you spend your time in New Britannia with. Pessimists, grinders, and whiners abound, so choose your friends carefully and you can explore the world together as it ought to be ;)

SotA really is UO for the 2010s. I hope you enjoy yourself :)

9. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

I play the game sometimes on a notebook that does NOT meet the minimum specs (and on verizon LTE) and it can function for less intensive things with the graphics turned all the way down

At home I have a good rig.

When you are looking to upgrade, feel free to ask for advice from others on what you are looking at. From what I see, raw CPU speed (higher GHz) and an SSD are a must, but if you can't swallow spending big on a graphics card, an entry level 1050 or 1060 won't be that bad.

Treasure hunting is not their yet. Some quests are good, others are bugged. There lots of little puzzles in various PvE adventure zones. I enjoy those. As far as exploring... that is pretty vast. There is LOTS to see and explore.

Let us know your in-game name when you get settled. Lot of people on this forum will help you out with improved starter gear and advice if you are interested.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    sinodox likes this.
  10. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I'll just simply say as an original pre & post trammel UO player many years ago, I've been looking for years and years for the successor, this is as close as it has got so far. Simply loving the game doing everything and anything.

11. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Welcome! There are many of us old UO players here, like me and my husband. I love the game and consider it my new MMO home. No other game, besides UO and Star Wars Galaxies have had the moxie for me to call them home. Does the game have some issues? Of course! However it's free to play so it's worth giving it a shot.

I hope you feel the same way someday :)

sinodox and Simon LeBon like this.
  12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You didn't say what spec you have, but mine is:
    i5 2400 (Sandy Bridge, almost 8 years old!)
    24GB RAM (16GB is great, 12GB is good, 8GB is minimum)
    SSD
    Windows 7
    GT 1030 2GB worked fine, but I put that in a smaller box and upgraded to a GT 1050Ti 4GB and it doesn't run noticeably faster
    1080p display, I get 30-60fps everywhere, but usually worse in towns

13. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

Good post, good thread.
    Welcome player and get settled in. The game is a RP/Adventurer/PVP/RMT hybrid that focuses on community involvement on every level.
    The crafting system is riddled with complexities that continually broaden.

Much like the days of UO, constructing your own life and standard of living is a matter of free will, and the possibilities are boundless without the intimidation of loosing everything you've got if your account goes stale. (Big plus in my book) Your investment and personal property in the game are soluble from day one, which in turn generates value on the RMT, dependent on the simple logic of supply and demand.

Your hours on SOTA are truly at your whim... The master of your own destiny, the lord of your world. How you immerse that world into the greater community is a matter of choice on your part, and no one decision shackles you to the next unless it's your decision to do so, or it's a game generated quest line.

With the above being said... Beware of those that don't have the patience or the understanding that, much like the UO of the early days, (96-97-98-99), this game is a work in progress, and that will probably always be the case. Those that have a boisterous, outspoken, continually persistent, voice are usually those that want a "Burger King" game tailor made to their own selfish wants and desires. These same people usually become disgruntled, and end up retiring to their own corner of the internet, usually reddit, to continue spewing the diarrhea from their mouth, that they weren't allowed to spew on this forum platform or in the game itself.

So welcome to Shroud of the Avatar player...
    My advice to you... Find a nice spot, close to the surroundings that you found in your adventures, and enjoy your new online home for the rest of your life. For all of it's pluses and minuses... The world is alive, and it grows each day.

Thanks for being a part of it.

-Zeke

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Elwyn, Simon LeBon and Jason_M like this.
  14. Boradic Boneslasher

Boradic Boneslasher Avatar

Welcome, I am a old player of UO and of Sota now lol... To go as far as saying Sota is as CLOSE as any game has got to UO I find false, only major similarity I have found is LORD BRITISH, Legends of Aria (I think that's how that's spelled lol) is a much closer aspec as far as graffic's and open world pvp plus it took a lot from UO like the treasure hunting , the basics of taming, housing/property, questing and there is many more aspects BUT let me say I have been interested and dealing with Sota from the early releases ( hell believe it was around R10 I got my account ). I am not putting Sota down but stating a fact; go to say I also have a account on LoA lol. Good luck ingame an ask if you need any help or just want someone to BS with I am always around. o_O

15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome, Marcelo!

16. KennethCampbell

KennethCampbell Avatar

I know that I am late to this but super excited to know more about the game, is there a link to jump to it.

majoria70 likes this.
  17. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Welcome Kenneth. The game is free to play at the moment. You need only visit the homepage to find the link.

And don't forget to tip the staff if you had a good experience ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.