2018 Christmas item prices WAY too high guys.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toff, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toff

Toff Avatar

As an update and clarification to my OP, I just spent $118 at the add-on-store to buy some of the 2018 Christmas Deco with the 50% off pricing. My gripe isn't with the add-on-store or how Port makes it's money to continue creating this awesome game for us. It was the sales tactic used of WAY over pricing things then putting them on "Sale" for the actual price they think people will pay, making them believe they are getting a great deal. As some people have posted even at the 50% off prices they might still be over priced.....I'm not sure, some things seem priced right others not so much but it's really what people are willing to pay, I'm sure Port knows this metric. I love the game, I love the players, I love the Devs, I love the Deco for the game, I'm ok with some of the pricing I just wish they would knock off the "Sales" crap and just permanently reduce the prices to a normal level that would appeal to new players as well. I know this might piss off some of the "Collectors" and those who are trying to make a profit off some of the items by making things they paid for at full price suddenly cheaper, but they already do this with the Friday Sales events. I'm a very old player with a high level pledge and a very very long list of add-on-store purchases, I say this not to impress or boast but simply to validate my personal opinion that port should reduce prices even though guys like me would be left holding the bag on things I spent a lot of money for being suddenly worth much less. I'm ok with this, I believe it's what's needed to attract new players and fill up this wonderful world we...the players....have paid for. Again, just my personal opinion, and I completely understand the opinion of those who don't want to see their items devalued.

Addison, Numa, FrostII and 5 others like this.
  2. Guppy

Guppy Avatar

It seems there are a few issues being discussed:
    1. Just knowing there are expensive items in the add-on store is turning people off of the game.
    2. If prices were lower, an increased volume in sales would make up for the reduced prices.
    3. Even if the current prices are Port's desired prices, when there are "sales" it seems like a trick and makes people wait for the "bigger" sale that will surely be coming later.

If this is true it seems like a possible solution would be to expire all the expensive items in the add-on store.
    Then replace them with more affordable "common" versions for the more casual player, and DO NOT have sales. Nothing makes me lose the joy of buying new things faster then seeing the same item at a lower price a month later.

If somebody wants an item from the early Golden Age of the game, when there was unlimited wealth, they can buy the item from a player that currently has one of those legendary items.
    If somebody thinks they are entitled to an item at a fraction of the price that somebody else paid for it, well those people will complain no matter what is done.

So maybe for new players in the new episodes make it less of an elitist game. A village lot could be the biggest lot size, with a height limit of 2 stories. Then the only envy would be that some people are way better at decorating. If they don't want to feel sad about not having the biggest house they can just avoid the episode 1 housing areas. Of course if anyone enjoys seeing the Glitz and Glamour of the old lands they can always go wherever they want. And maybe dream of the winning the Free Monthly lottery with their 1 ticket for the 1 lot/house combination being awarded in the old lands. A pre-lottery drawing would randomly determine the size of the lot/house being given away. Anybody who plays xx number of hours during the month would be eligible for 1 Free Lotto ticket.

Vaiden Luro and Gorthyn like this.
  3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Everyone, including F2P gets a free row lot deed for completing the main story line.

Numa, Gaelis, Dhanas and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

That's not a real Christmas tree, that's an artificial Christmas tree. It even says so in the description: "Green 4ft Artificial PVC Christmas Tree"

Toff likes this.
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Oh yeah, and a concession stand item has a cost for every item produced. I.e., a hot dog, bun, pickles, mayo, mustard, ketchup, etc. All of those items cost money for every single hot dog. A digital item does not have that constant overhead that's a part of the cost of creation of real world items.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The cost to make the deco has no overhead?

7. Sid

Sid Avatar

You must be joking right? I was insinuating in real life fake or real, it’s a tree that you can touch. Jeez don’t be that guy

Gia2 likes this.
  8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

It has no *constant* overhead. Every hot dog you sell has a recurrent material cost. A digital item sold in the store has a one time overhead cost, not a recurring cost. Although one could I suppose relate the ongoing costs of salaray, office space, utilities, server costs, etc, as an ongoing overhead cost, but that gets spread across all digital items and isn't specific to that item. You could counter argue that there are similar expenses related to the concession stand (wages, benefits, rent, etc), so you still come out ahead with the digital item in the long run. Theoretically at least.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  9. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Is this the old mark it up to mark it down so the sale price is normal price?

Amelli likes this.
  10. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Just like REAL Christmas deco, it's not a need... it's a want. Difference compared to real tree... real trees are going to die and go away. This stuff is eternal, so comparing prices is irrational. Complaints like this is what deters people from joining, not trees that most of people joining the game are not going to care about anyway. That is something those invested in the game care about.

Unless it has been a SIMS like game (and possibly not even then), I don't know of a new incoming player ever to say, "Ooh I just MUST have that item to decorate with!?" Really!?!? That is a SERIOUS stretch.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Synergy Blaize and CICI like this.
  11. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

I suppose the people who spend thousands on pixelated star citizen ships are quite crazy. Compared to there Portalarium seems somewhat reasonable.

Numa likes this.
  12. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

The player base is catching onto what was the original review of this game. Feels like a cash grab. But myself I understand why the prices are so high. Not many players, gotta pay those server / admin / dev fee's somehow (shrugs) I backed this game very early on, and haven't played since even longer. Too much $$ talk not enough game.

Vaiden Luro, Katu and Amelli like this.
  13. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Wrong. Virtual game items are NOT eternal. They just have a longer expiration date.

At the end of the day all virtual items bought in games only exist so long as the games servers/company are still running. The moment that ends all those virtual goodies go *poof* and the players are left with nothing no matter how much money they have thrown at a particular game over its lifetime.

That’s not to say you can’t/shouldn’t spend your pennies as you please, just don’t be so naive as to believe any virtual game items are truly yours forever.

14. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

OH MY I DIDN'T KNOW THAT! :rolleyes:

I stick by what I said. Comparing a one use disposable product to something that is around until the servers go away and can be reused over and over again until that happens... is not apples to apples. Don't be intentionally obtuse.

CICI likes this.
  15. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Don’t slander to save face.

Cordelayne, Gorthyn and Sid like this.
  16. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

sigh... Sticking by what I said is trying to save face? You skirting around what I said with a pointless statement trying to prove an invalid point? Then not even using slander in context? sheesh... you win...

You're brilliant and your statement was correct... *click block*

17. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Okay what are you even trying to argue about now? I don’t even want to argue. I just wanted to clarify YOUR poor use of the word ‘Eternal’ so as not to spread misinformation and now your attacking me? And fine, please do block me. It makes no difference. Your only making yourself look silly. I don’t see how I’ve done anything to justify the way you’ve just treated me.

18. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

No one asked you to quote me, on something that the average person would have the common sense to understand the meaning of in context, completely subverting the intent of the post. Misinformation? Maybe for someone that has the mindset of a 2 year old. I responded to you in a PM to keep the thread clear and I see you have nothing to say. So whatever. Keep it moving.

19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Heed your own advice here
    Well damn, that would be a step up for you my man! Congrats!

Addison, Amelli and Sid like this.
  20. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

You understood that AMAZING!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.