Ramble on about: Punching things to death and you

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctorface, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

YORDIC MEYERS HERE!

Whoops! I told my therapist that I wouldn't scream anymore.

It's been a while since my last post, but that mostly because I was busy celebrating my two year streaming anniversary and dealing with some real life drama. No, it has nothing to do with someone calling me out and showing me I was wrong about something. That actually made me think that I was lacking in my research and so I made sure to do an extra little bit of thinking this time to create something new that I know we will never get (thanks @Chris) but I know more than a small subset of people want: A pugilism tree!

Well,not just pugilism, more a Martial arts tree, with pugilism as the base skill. So, sit back and relax as I tell you guys my dream for the pugilism tree from skills already available and some that I just want to see in the game. I've even thrown together a few combo's for the skill set that I want to see with a mindset of cool but balanced. I am sure a lot of people already did this but I wanted to throw my gloves into the ring(as I am the first person in the game who GM'd puguilism (Again, according to @Chris) and I'm the guy who punches trolls for fun and profit. I am also putting in an idea for a craft able deco item at the end, because of course I am.

So, starting off with the base skill, which is already in the game, pugilism. This is where the tree will spread out and grow. It's just like any other weapon tree,after all. It seems fine the way it is. I will split the skills from here out into active and passive and further to the tiers they are in.

Active skills:

Tier 1:
    Trip:
    Yes I am moving this skill to the martial arts tree because tripping a foe just feels right to be here. It was a weird skill in subterfuge to me and I wouldn't build a pugilism deck without having trip slotted in my bar somewhere.

Stunning blow:
    This would be your basic heavy attack that has a stun attached to it. deals a decent amount of damage and has a low chance to stun that is buffed up by leveling the skill and specialization. I think of it like a haymaker.

Tier 2:
    Tackle:
    This skill would be nested under trip in the tree. The skill would only work when targeting an enemy and in range,causing your avatar to charge at them and knock them and yourself down as a way to get close and destabilize the enemy at the cost of destabalizing yourself. Pugilism spec would decrease the chance for you to be knocked down to about 60%.

Flurry of Blows:
    this skill would be nested beneath stunning blow and would deal 3-5 hits of damage in quick succession based on level with spec increasing the attack numbers to 6 at 40 and 7 at 80. Minimal damage but many blows.

Tier 3:
    this is where you would need to track down the pugilism trainer to buy the skills, so here goes.

Uppercut:
    This skill would be nested under tackle. It would be the heavy hitting blow with mid-high damage and knockdown potential. Spec would increase the knockdown potential.

Tier 4:
    This skill would require uppercut and flurry of blows to both be learned.

Double Lariat:
    The avatar spins around and deals blows to enemies around him,pulling them closer. Spec would increase the damage.

So now that we have our active skills, lets move on to passives.

Tier 1:

Unarmed defence:
    Your basic defense boost for having no weapons or shield in your hand. it would be minor, probably about a third of that which is granted by the shield tree. Spec would increase resistance to bleed in the form of calloused striking surfaces.

Tier 2:
    Bear strength/Emperor's might:
    This is a strength boost similar to the one bludgeons gives, only it's half as powerful as that and requires you to have no weapons or shield in your hands. This also counts for offhand items,so you can't have anything in those slots.

Drunken Master:
    So this skill would take your intoxication level into account, offering an equal buff to skill damage and a debuff to accuracy as your intoxication level increases. Leveling will increase the buff/debuff and spec will reduce the accuracy debuff by 20% at 40 and 40% at 80. It also allows you to receive the stength buff from bear strength boost when you have a mug,stein, cup or, bottle in your offhand.

Tier 3:
    Loaded Gloves:
    This skill would increase the damage your unarmed strikes do when you are wearing heavy armor gauntlets in your hand slot as well as your defense boost from unarmed defense. I contemplated making the type of gloves you were wearing change the nature of your attacks further but I think this would be easier to implement. The theoretical version will be stated below in the extras section.

And there we have it, my take on the pugilism tree and how it could be implemented into shroud. Is it perfect? No. It's not supposed to be anything more than a little project I used to keep myself busy. It's intentionally vague and just there for fun. HOWEVER that's not all I have for you! I wanted to come up with some ways to use combos to diversify the fighting style and give it a little bit of fun so here are a few skills using spellweaving.

Combos:

Roundhouse kick:
    Combination:
    Trip + tackle = roundhouse kick
    Effect:
    The avatar swings his leg up in a spinning arc causing minor damage and knockback to up to three targets in front of him with damage being centered on the target in the center.

Low Blow:
    Combination:
    Trip + Stunning blow = Low Blow
    Effect:
    Using the subterfuge skills that birthed martial arts the avatar deals a sneaky blow to their foes unmentionables. This skill does minimal damage but deals slow and mez to the target for a few seconds as their bells are rung. I also envision this skill causing a ringside bell sting to occur. Juvenile? Yes. Yes it is.

Burning Uppercut:
    Combination:
    Flame fist + uppercut = burning uppercut
    Effect:
    The uppercut deals fire damage and has a small chance to ignite. It's not a reference to anything. You can prove that it is? Yeah. Sure you can.

Endless Lariat:
    Combination:
    Double Lariat+ Flurry of blows = Endless Lariat
    Effect:
    Doubles the spin time and hits of Double lariat but leaves the target confused after use. Double effectiveness on bears. Also not a reference to anything, especially not a reference to Mohawks or red underpants.

And to lead out the article I have the extras mentioned above.

Extras:

The craftable deco item would be pretty easy to implement as it already has most everything in the game already. The idea is to create a speed-bag that works like a training dummy. The model would be the craftable street lights frame but with a leathery bag hanging down from the arm. But I have a twist on how to GET that leathery bag. A repeatable quest in estgard by a drunk Viking at the yellow sow wants you to prove your might by going out and punching a troll to death with your bare hands. Any troll will do, but you have to bring it down with your fists. He wants you to bring him back a 'filthy pouch of skin' and he will teach you to create a special training tool with it.

Yes. It's what you think. This is yet another shameless reference to myself. I'm sorry but the stream gets weird sometimes and well...We are right at the height to make use of a natural speed-bag if you get my drift.

The original loaded gloves skill:
    So my initial loaded gloves skill took into account the type of gloves you wore to change how you fought. Cloth gloves would increase your stun chance with bare handed skills as well as attack speed while decreasing damage.
    Leather would increase attack speed and a minor buff to defense while fighting with the martial arts style.
    Heavy gauntlets would have made your attacks slower while increasing damage and defense.
    Really nothing special but it would have been a pain to implement.

So what do you guys think? Does it tick all the boxes of fighting in the bare knuckle arena? Do you have any suggestions of your own? Hit me up with some comments down below! I know none of this will ever happen as @Chris has said dozens of times he has no interest in creating it but it's still something that means a lot to me. I hope he will change his mind in the future.

YORDIC OUT!

2. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

Post two Yordic here. Looks like the trip to the spa helped our post one buddy get his act together finally. The post looks fine and easy to figure out so I guess I'll just leave a nod to the post up there. It's all theoretical, after all.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

I hereby do nominate the martial arts tree to be an EP2 stretch goal.

Because being Chuck Norris > riding horses and wearing horse masks!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Time Lord, Vaiden Luro and Doctorface like this.
  4. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

This is actually a pretty good idea. :)

Time Lord and Doctorface like this.
  5. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

yeah but it'll never happen,sadly

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

This post is officially @Chris approved. <3 Thanks for reading!

Time Lord and Vaiden Luro like this.
  7. _Hex_

_Hex_ Avatar

Love it! Great idea.

Doctorface and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.