2018 Christmas item prices WAY too high guys.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toff, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

one of the big issues for me on the store for me is there is nothing I want to buy.

the last few purchases I have made were to bone chime and the kobold still. the bone chime was for 5 bucks during a telethon before the sub other than that it was just $5 in cotos or things I don't even remember for 5 or so $.

the still I thought was cool enough for $2 tho.

2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

How i would do it:

Advertise that every player that starts gets a free house and lot deed on a instanced zone.
    This is only accessible for 30 days.
    Enough to test the Game to find out if you like it.

Then they have to buy a house and a deed if they want to stick with it on the cash shop

But like this:

Cash Shop:
    Move down the Lot Deed prices that purchasing the lowest tier and deed ends up in total around a real Game Price. So your customer who likes the Game feels it is juistifiable.

Like 20 Dollars a Row Lot Deeds and Housings around 5 to 10 Dollars for every olaceable deed.

The best housings and lot deeds should be more expensive but not toomuch!
    It shoud entise the player - if i pay another 20 Dollar i get soo much more and a bigger house.
    Ok. 20 Dollars more - so what!

Decoration Prices should be all low enough to be suitable for effect purchases. It should feel like - if i buy a coffee in real or buy a candy in real or cigarettes it is the same. Does not hurt my wallet but makes me feel good to place it in my virtual house.

My opinion

Addison, Numa, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  3. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

The way I see things for housing is like this.
    Is a taxed POT row house deed (85$) worth it when it costs more than the price of a retail video game.
    Is a taxed POT village deed (165$) worth it when it costs 3x the price of a retail video game
    Is a taxed POT town deed (450$) worth it when it costs more than 7x the price of a retail video game.
    Is a taxed POT city deed (1050) worth it when it costs 17 times the price of a retail video game.
    And then you have to pay taxes on these.

Same logic goes for the items in the addon store.

And I can tell you with confidence that the answer for the vast majority of gamers is no to these questions.
    So if we want to attract more people, and that we want them to feel compelled in buying stuff from the addon store, I really think the pricing model has to be drastically revised.
    If we keep this pricing model, only the hardcore like us will spend on the addon store. Is that what we want?

Just my opinion

Vaiden Luro, Sid, Gorthyn and 4 others like this.
  4. Sid

Sid Avatar

Buddy we’re so many that shares your opinion, you’re not walking alone on this.

Vaiden Luro, Amelli and K1000 like this.
  5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Anyone here over 25? Anyone remember playing MMOs with a monthly subscription of between $25 and $40 per month as the normal standard? That's $300 to $400 a year for the sub.

What subs to people pay for SOTA if any? If you do sub its $9 per month and that's not for access, that's for access, COTO's, rare potions and E2 access.

How do you want them to pay their staff and utility bills to support and develop the game for us?

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Only thing I'll point out is pro sports can usually count on what between 15k and 40k people showing up depending on venue size. Which is absolutely part of the equation. Just an FYI. There are very few things you can get in the store that you can't make/get in game. Like others (NOTICE I DIDN'T SAY MOST CAUSE NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE MAJORITY IS THINKING) i wait till 50% off day to make any purchase I make.

As for costing as much as a game...lol, my son and folks I know finish quiet a few of the console games in days. Pissed me off for years that I would spend mone on the ame, then they'd get the cheats and blow thru the game. Just an observation.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  7. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

I understand what you re saying. I'm 42 and yes I've played MMO's since the beginning. Don't remember subscriptions being at over 20$ per month though. And 20$ per month is more accessible than paying upfront 240$ for a deed, then paying taxes on it with coto's. Also the difference between paying 20$ for a game subscription is you have full access to the game and all it s features. Not here when you buy a deed. You still need to buy a house. You still need to pay taxes. You still need to deco. And I know there is deco you can craft in game. But the whole point is to make deco in the addon store enticing enough for people to want to pay for it. Which is not the case now , except for us hardcore fans.
    I want the game to grow, I want Port to have 3-4 times the employees they have. I have trouble seeing how this will happen with the existing pricing structure. We need more players. The pricing in the addon scares a lot of players from even trying the game. I've got a few friends in the video gaming industry and they don't even want to try the game just because of that. And I'm talking of people who are not afraid to spend money on F2P games. And yes I think the comparison of addon store prices to regular video game prices is fully justifiable to evaluate if a purchase is worth making. Port was in a funding model. Even though they are still in funding for episode 2, episode 1 is released. They have to switch from a funding model to a release model, where the casual player will feel good on spending their money in the addon store. One error I think was to still sell TF deeds through bundles. Should have been exclusive to kickstarter. The problem with TF deeds is that it removes revenue from loss of coto sales in the addon store. And the worst from this is that if I stop playing the game, I can sell the deed, and port won't make any money out of it. It I sell a Taxed deed, at least Port might get money from COTO sales to pay taxes. So hopefully, once bundles expire, Port won't sell anymore TF deeds in new bundles.
    Again just my opinion, but I really really want SOTA to succeed, and I'm having trouble seeing how we'll get more spending on the game without dramatically changing the pricing structure in the addon store.

Numa, Vaiden Luro, Gorthyn and 5 others like this.
  8. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you all for the feedback in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.