Shroud of the Avatar Fire Sale!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bom, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bom

Bom Avatar

If Portalarium started selling unlimited POTs for $20 that were exactly the same as the limited ones they sold previously would you be fine with that? Do you think that would be a good idea to level the playing field or bring in some quick cash? How would it affect players and Portalarium's reputation? What exactly makes you care about your town?

It's a simple fact that most people care about things of value. What makes you think I don't care about the game continuing and growing? Why do you think betraying the trust of the customer base and destroying the value of your own game assets for some quick cash is a good idea? Why couldn't re-skinned or modified vendors be offered at the new price, while maintaining the "special" pledge rewards?

It's amazing how far the court jesters will go to insist the naked emperor is wearing clothes. It should be such an obviously bad decision to counterfeit rare "special" reward items given to early supporters and resell exact duplicates, regardless of their monetary value. Even if the items had no monetary value and could not be resold due to game restrictions, it would still be a terrible idea.

Vaiden Luro, Verit and MrBlight like this.
  2. dayero

dayero Avatar

imho, the big mistakes were made many years ago . Both CF vendors and housing is completely broken balance-wise. The difference between a normal vendor and a CF vendor and having a house and having to use the bank for everything is way way too big. Regular vendors should have had much lower fees the whole time. Housing should have had an extra lot size, like a shack or something, with a very harsh deco and chest limit and a very low entry price for the deed, house and no taxes. What is happening now is basically just a bandaid for a major **** up in balancing ingame vs store/pledge items.

Vaiden Luro, K1000 and Tabatha like this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Calling people sheep like jesters is not going to get people to agree with you. Just a fair warning, every comment you make insulting people, I am just going to report it.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

They've already sold more POTs... I was never under any allusion that they would never sell any more POTs... If they were to sell them for less than I bought mine for, sure, I'd be OK with that... I don't get pissed off at a car manufacturer for selling a vehicle at a discount that I didn't receive when I bought mine, and the Automobile Manufacturer's Reputation is Unaffected as that's the way things work in a capitalist economy.

What makes me care about my town is that it brings me joy. I derived joy from creating it, and laying it out, and being able to provide a place to live and play to a few dozen (now) and potentially hundreds of other people. I sometime stand on the wall of my keep, overlooking the Crafting Pavilion, and watch the Avatars working there... at the Crafting Stations, visiting the Crafting Merchant, or the Bank. That brings me joy and peace. That joy is unaffected by whomever else owns a town, or how much they paid for it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Whenever I see these kinds of practices, I just try to consider other games, or real life things. What original backers pledged for, they got when they pledged for it, as time goes by, so do deals/prices/values of things. I doubt my Father is upset of the fact that the Original NES with Super Mario Bros cost him 99$ when he originally purchased it, while people can buy a NES with 30 games (minimum) for 80$ nowadays. I am not mad by the fact that I had paid around 450$ for my limited edition Xbox One, while one can get the Scorpio Version now for less. Things depreciate over time, and things become more accessible to the general public over time, so why wouldn't it be the case for things pledged a few years ago? People who paid for things thinking about their long term investments will be upset sure, but the rest of the community, especially the one not ready to invest thousands of dollars in a game, will be more than happy to know that they can now start leveling with those original backers, after MANY years of being behind.

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And there's the inevitable Ad Hominem.

7. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I get where you are coming from (I bought in a year before persistence and got a commission-free vendor). However, to say "counterfeiting" is a bit of an overloaded term here. Governments don't counterfeit the money they make, they just make more of it. :)

8. lightuser

lightuser Avatar

We are in full survival mode? Why and how come? Can you elaborate please? Thanks.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Nowhere on the pledge pages did it say that commission-free vendors were exclusive.

10. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

In 99% of games once you buy an item its value goes to zero since you can't resell it. It's the same principal here, except now you can get some of your value back if you decide to sell off. Port has never promised to maintain a RMT value for items.

11. Bom

Bom Avatar

You're not only failing to recognize the flaw in everyone having their own POT, and how it would affect your own, but you're also failing to realize that people loose trust in companies that don't keep their word.

12. Bom

Bom Avatar

That's a flawed analogy, the original NES is still unique and more of a collector's item. Your analogy actually supports my point since the systems can be distinguished from each other.

Further, things do not depreciate over time if they are offered as limited items, they usually do the exact opposite and increase in value as long as they're desired and from a respected company. And once again, it's not merely about an "investment' - not once did I mention investment, yet somehow multiple people in the topic jump right into assuming everyone that doesn't want limited or rare items and rewards re-released over and over has to be an "investor" rather than a collector or simply someone that recognizes the importance and integrity of not doing so.

Issuing similar items with different skins or function still results in the playing field being equaled without entirely destroying the value of previously limited game assets, nor player confidence in the developers. What is really disturbing is how many of you fail to recognize this, I think probably intentionally.

13. Bom

Bom Avatar

Wow, your reply is rebutted in the very quote you are responding to. Are you even reading the same post, or just regurgitating excuses you've used elsewhere?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It wasn't rebutted in your post because they never said that it would be for backers only. I also didn't say that I thought that was a good or bad thing, I only pointed out that you assumed something that wasn't stated. Whether you like it or not, it is what it is.

15. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I understand your argument about the inadvisability of losing the trust of backers, and I understand why you want at least visual differentiation if previously exclusive assets are made widely available.

Nevertheless, I disagree with your objection to the "fire sale" because I feel that the best way to ensure that the money I spent as an early backer (one Ancestor account and one Edelmann account) does not go to waste is to make the game attractive for new players. I believe that the strategy to win early backers by giving them exclusive rights to desirable things like commission-free vendors and tax-free property was a mistake that needs to be corrected, and I am glad to see that the best things in the game are slowly becoming more accessible.

Having said that, I think you are doing your own argument a disservice by the way you are presenting it: using hyperbole (hypothesizing the sale of POTs for $20, suggesting that a POT owner who disagrees with you wouldn't mind giving his POT to you) and calling people who disagree with you "court jesters". This is not the way to win people over to your way of thinking, and the insults and exaggerations distract from the topic of the thread.

16. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

Still even if I had some of the same feeling you do about my pledge and things I have get over the time at big price, I have always done it and spend money on this game knowing it's vitual goods and any money I put down on it is for fun and spend my money knowing it's "lost" money. I don't think any money spent on game is an investment.

I know how you feel but it's for the future of this game and so that we can still play and adventure throught novia. We can go back all around that they were other way to do it but : it is what it is. Let's look foward and close this thread for the wealth of this amazing game.

Bjorn Dyonisys

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Meh. Can't get angry about stuff like that anymore. Fo76 showed me everything could be worse, starting from the product itself over support to community. I support everything that brings port hard cash and us more players. If sales are the way to go, so be it. Thats the way of live service games.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No, I'm refusing to recognize an absurd hypothetical.
    Every Exclusive Item I Pledged For is Still Exclusive. Portalarium has bent over backwards to keep their word save in very few instances and in those instances they've recognized a promise broken made the effort to supply a substitute (Of which some have been less than satisfactory). And yes... A company can breech faith, and lose customers... This isn't one of those cases and anyone that feels that Portalarium has breached faith with their customers on some grand scale because they're made an item that should never have been as restricted as it was less restricted for the betterment of the game as a whole has a very narrow view of the issue... You're failing to recognize the significant advantage that a Commission Free Vendor imparted in-game, and how having those hidden behind a Very Significant pay-wall was deleterious to the game as a whole.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Many online games we have known have had their sunset. To believe that there would be lasting collectors' value in digital game assets in such a setting is a folly. Its not as if digital assets are like physical antiques that will hold their value in perpetuity. At best our pledge affords us access to certain end-game segments sooner, and that is about all. Those who received their pledges and played the game hard, received that reward. And that time has now passed. The question now is not about the value of pledges past. It is about the value of pledges future, and whether the same amount of capital can be attracted using the same model.

Vaiden Luro, Gorthyn, Amelli and 4 others like this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You haven't tried to sell antiques lately, have you?

Vaiden Luro, Bigg, Mac2 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.