Combo Glyph Usefullness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toadster, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Ok just making sure. I discovered the "can start a combo from a locked glyph" bit only last month, so I don't assume I or anyone knows everything anymore.

You might find my keybindings easier though. I use RDFG instead of WASD because it lets the pinky do a lot more work, giving me an extra two rows of keys to play with. Then I rebind the number keys to flow around the movement keys. 1 becomes a, 2 s, 3 e. So on the keyboard it looks like this, movement keys capitalized, everything else is a shortcut for a glyph slot.

Edit: crap leading spaces are deleted... I'll put in ~. Anyway, point being I don't find it nearly as painful as if I were reaching up to the number keys all the time.

~~~45
    ~~e R t
    a s DFG h j
    ~~~~~v b

2. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Yeah that is a nice feature to unlock two slots filled one with juxtapose had douse locked right next to it. Now I had to unlock another slot and add 10 glyphs just to keep the slugs out. It worked and evaporate was always available but, it takes three worthwhile slots and makes them one rotating slot with defense.

If I was going back to the unlocked deck I would get a mouse with more buttons and probably on of the left handed numb pad looking things for movement and buttons.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I mostly use comboes when I am playing fire mage, fiery decay (death ray + fire arrow) and evaporate ( douse + juxtapose). Haven't find any other useful, looking forward for having more useful comboes.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Initially I was for locking the skills. However, I see why the mechanics require it to be used with unlocked skills - it makes it more random (preventing overuse), and requires a bit more activity on our part (rather than just using a rotation).

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I feel that if they were more useful the trouble of stacking and combining them would balance it out. But they are not worth the trouble and are barely more powerful than normal glyphs. So I feel they have two choices:
    Leave the power level as is and let us put locked glyph combo’s in a deck. The power they have balances with having to train two skills to use them.

Two, make them more powerful so the trouble of using them balances out with their effectivemess

FrostII likes this.
  6. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Same here. It's not really worth the trouble (for me at least). It would be nice if it can be rethought. Dunno what the answer is. It feels like this isn't it.

7. Nog

Nog Avatar

I like the idea of dynamic combo moves in theory. How to make combos both being cool/unique as well as fun to play strikes me as an elusive goal.

Constantly looking at the action bar for cycling glyphs and combos and having to constantly take my eye off of the action was one of the sizeable contributing factors in me thinking the game was initially fun to eventually abandoning it as frustrating and cumbersome compared to other games that weren't.

The rub is going the 10 locked glyph route didn't allow getting the essence of the character's powers all worked in. So my choice was an unappealing one either way I went.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

One thing I was thinking is a combo specific slot, separate from the rest of your bar. Just your "use only for combo" glyphs come up there. Flaming fist, ice fist, stone fist in several builds I use. Or it's not even a slot, just the icon hovers somewhere ( above your head? To the side of the bar?) for a moment and you get it as a freebie if you combo with it in that time.

Nog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.