Inventory Management

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Phelimreagh2, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phelimreagh2

Phelimreagh2 Avatar

Hello there. Long story short:

Inventory management as a game is not fun. I spend an inordinate amount of time managing what to keep, what I might need, etc. I have to deal with messes in real life, I don't play video games to organize inventory

Short story long:

I've been giving SotA a bit of a run through. Though there is much to discuss, there is one issue that causes me to log out in ultimate frustration every time: Encumbrance. The best I can do, with only 30 bank spaces to work with, is get down to about 85/105 lbs before I got out adventuring. That goes to about 175/105 in about 10-20 minutes, generally

No matter what I do, I am always struggling trying to deal with all the sh*t in my bags and bank. Without fail, the major factor that causes me to log out is always: I just cannot deal with this, and why should I have to _in a game_.

I understand the sandboxy intent to be a reality simulator of sorts, but one of the reasons I know I won't be playing this game for very long is basically spending at least 1/2 of the time I'm logged in trying to just deal with what stuff to keep, what to scrap, etc. I suppose for some people this is part of the fun. Not so for me. I enjoy getting out and adventuring, gathering crafting materials, killing the bad guys and trying to save the proverbial realms.

Standing in towns trying to determine if I'm going to need this or that down the line is not fun.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  2. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

My advise.

1) In the bank interface there is a link called buy more bank slots (or something like that). This is for in game gold, they get more expensive the more you buy, but initially are very cheap.
    2) In the tactics tree, get Train Strength to level 40 then level up the Heavy Lifter skill, getting that to even level 40 will make a huge difference.
    3) Keep stuff that stacks in the bank, early in the game i would advise selling all the weapons and armour you pick up to the vendor. Note there are a few vendors that pay more. The blacksmith woman in Soltown is one for early players.
    Not sure if this link is completely up to date, but will help http://sotawiki.net/sota/Tag_Match

Hope that helps

Spung

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    StarLord and Elgarion like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Avatar

Hi @Phelimreagh2, why not take a room in my town soryn fields. You can place 3 containers (chest, trunk, bags) which should give you lots of room.

You can deco the room to make it feel homely too. No rents required.

Nick cold in game, if you are interested.

StarLord, Jaesun and Elgarion like this.
  4. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia @Phelimreagh2

Inventory management is only challenging early on. Once you get a room and a footlocker, it gets a lot easier. Rooms are freely available in nearly every town.

For your adventuring weight: There're the tactics and heavy armor skills, as mentioned, as well as an earth spell, and a sun spell. Something you could try is locking all of your skills except those that improve strength. You'll be a fair bit stouter after a few hours of adventure.

Elgarion likes this.
  5. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I just wanted to welcome you to New Britannia. I think you've gotten some good advice on that inventory management problem. Hopefully you will get it figured out and stay a while. We're glad you are here!

Elgarion likes this.
  6. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Popping an Obsidian Potion of Capacity gives you 7 days of +50% encumbrance. This is quite a handy potion for those beginning times as well. Also, once you complete the main story? You'll have all the storage you will ever desire, for a row lot deed will be awarded to you for housing. By then, you'll also be much quicker with what is important for you to keep, and what you'll just sell. Keep in mind, when you do have that house, you can also place your vendor outside to sell items. Initially, storage and encumbrance are an issue, but you'll soon learn its quite the opposite and this game really does accommodate hoarders like myself quite well. The old stats (before they increased the limits) allowed you to keep 241 chests in a Row House.... 1 outside, 40 inside, and 200 in the basement. That's 241 containers with a possible max capacity of 300 stacks of items. Each stack of items, if they stack, can be up to 32767 items. And that's the old numbers, I think the container limits were raised. Multiple 300 by 241 by 32767... it's simply crazy ;)

So ya, you'll eventually have more storage that you know what to do with, which is also why you'll find so many helpful people giving away rooms and storage space in their homes until new players get your own home, because there is so much to give. ;) And because they're nice. :p

7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Train the Heavy Lifter skill. It’s in the Tactics Skill Tree.

Lained likes this.
  8. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

Just sell off all the stuff when you get to town if you don't want to manage it. Or just right click and destroy it if its that much trouble. I do that to lists of junk all the time if I'd rather keep adventuring. Build up your bank by buying more slots to dump stuff you might want to keep.

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Also make sure you are leveling up the Strength skill.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm with you, inventory management isn't fun.

Lots of advice in here on how to mitigate the encumbrance problem. But then, you can carry 500 stones of stuff and inventory management is STILL not fun. But you can put it off for longer, and do it in bigger batches, so it's not nearly as bad, either.

Thermight and Vaiden Luro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.