How to Use Computer Gaming as Therapy for Parkinson’s Disease

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by that_shawn_guy, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

2. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

"
    research from US scientists suggests that logging on to a computer once a week is enough to fight dementia. In a four year study of 2,000 people aged over 70, researchers at the Mayo Clinic, Arizona, found that using a PC helps people retain memory and thinking abilities in old age.

In fact, regular PC users were 42% less likely to develop memory problems (“mild cognitive impairment”) that can lead to dementia. Other activities were tested, such as knitting, completing crosswords and attending social events.

They all helped to keep the brain alert, but none was as beneficial as computer use."

3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I can tell you, headed to 66 in age, that I totally believe this helps. I find my own memory slipping. I try to keep my passwords a bit complex and use it as a memory exercise among other things.

4. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Yes I agree games can be a great help.
    I suffer from depression and anxiety myself and gaming as well as pc building has really helped as a stress relief for me.

It reminds of the Tobii eye tracker and how it’s used with games for wheelchair bound children that have a disability that prevents them being able to communicate with voice or hands. The eye tracker allows them to communicate via eye tracking on a computer. So they can play games and in so doing improve their cognitive and communication skills. It’s amazing to see.

However on the other side of the rainbow I believe these days more and more they also breed toxicity, especially in the whole pvp, pc vs console master race and PS vs Xbox communities. They are often so toxic you have to also ponder how negative gaming can be as well.

I wish it was more positives. But unfortunately there are many muppets out there that have no self restraint or decorum online.

5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Here's to building and exploring online worlds for healthy minds!

/em skulls from a tankard.

6. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

7. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

*checks to be sure my real name isn't public on here soas not to embarrass anyone*
    In 2000, I met my now husband. He has a son who was 13 at the time and suffers from ADHD and severe dyslexia. I was playing UO at the time and the boy seemed interested in it. I let him create a character on my account to check it out. His dad watched in awe as the boy sat in my office chair for literally HOURS and played. His folks discussed and agreed to get him a UO account. Why? He had never sat that still and concentrated on anything for more than 10 minutes in his entire life. For whatever reason it held his interest, helped him type better, read better, interact with others better. The benefits were amazing.

As for me, I turned 60 years old today. I play for enjoyment, recharging my batteries, immersion in a different world (not that I don't love my RL, I do - it's just fun to be a rich merchant and budding monster killer). If it helps me with cognitive skills as I age, then all the better!

8. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Thank you for sharing the article, fascinating read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.