The Black Sails Saga - Part 1

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Boris Mondragon, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

"Noooooo!!!!!!!". He awoke in a sweat from what seemed like a nightmare yet knew if was an omen of things to come. Boris stepped out of his Captain's Quarters onto the main deck of the "Dragon" and felt the winds pick up and the night sky filled with lightning. This was a message from the Obsidians.

Suddenly an eerie quiet set in and the images appeared in the sky. Silver sails and a black fist on dozens of ships setting fire to one Novian seaport after another. They wanted to control the seas for their next attempt at Novian domination.

He felt the white bird land next to him with a note from Catherine Rose. Carefully he untied the note and read its contents. A large fleet at Draromir Mori had assembled and 3 ship captains ahd been assassinated within the last 24 hours. Something was going on that required his immediate presence.

The temporary peace and calm that had followed the battle of Aerie was about to end suddenly and he had a decision to make. He loved the city of Serenite yet it was time to move on and he carefully folded his House Serenite tabard heading towards the Duke's castle with a sense of purpose. The guards let him in upon recognition and he saw the two men who were going over some maps in the Duke's office.

Both Duke William and his general Mac looked up at him and knew something was amyss.

"Duke William, Mac, it is with a heavy heart that I hand this House Serenite tabard to you as I must depart immediately for Dragomir Mori. I do not know if or when I may return to Serenite." Both men understood Boris was on yet another mission and had to follow his own path."

The men shook hands and Boris headed back to the "Dragon". Once aboard his Pirate Galleon, Boris wrote a brief note and tied it to the white bird's leg. The words were brief "Duchess Catherine, I will be dock at Port Dragomir in three days".

"Razulah, hoist the anchor and set the course for Dragomir, we leave in two hours"

2. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

My heart is broken today. I can not find quiet for so much death has taken place in these past short hours. Three of my captains have been assassinated. I pray Boris Mondragon receives my note I sent by Snow. We need him here! He will know exactly what to do.

Lady, make sure the steward and cooks are ready with food, wine and ammunition as well as medical supplies. We must not tary in these preparations. Go to Pirate's Cove and make sure Boris's accommodations are ready for him and his men. Make sure the Taverns are well stocked. Fill the Hold with extra weapons as well.

3. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

The voyage from Serenite Bay to Dragomir did not go as smooth as intended. Though at first it seemed the "Dragon" had following winds they were caused by a storm that gained ground on them from the south. Though the "Dragon" was not completely seaworthy she had endured storms of this magnitude before and Boris was not one to back down from any foe nor storm.

He stood at the helm and looked ahead towards Dragomir Mori. He knew time was of the essence and it was a risk to either capsize his ship or get to Dragomir before any further calamity besieged the City.

Razulah made his way to the ship's helm with a worried look on his face. "Captain this will be a close call , the rear mast is coming loose and the storm may reach us before we dock at Dragomir".

"Razulah, we must make it there one way or another. To hell with the rear mast, we push ahead and ask the Sea Goddess to get us there in one piece".

Early that evening the lights of Aerie and Dragomir were seen in the distance by One-Eyed jack from the crows nest. "Captain, land ahead I can ………"

Boris looked to Razulah and both men almost laughed simulataenously. They knew Jack was going to continue the statement about he could see a turd coming out of a seagulls' arse a mile away yet this was not the moment for his description of keen eyesight specially coming from a man with one eye.

"Thank you Jack". "Men hang on tight the storm is upon us"

The rear mast creaked and shook from side to side as the fury of the storm reached them. They reached the Dragomir Bay yet Boris knew they would not dock but crash onto shore at best.

Several of the crewmen were launched overboard just as the "Dragon" crashed onto the shore just a few meters away from the "Misty Sea". Boris' head had been lacerated from the impact against the shore. He ripped one of his sleeves and made a makeshift bandanna to stop the bleeding. He could see the commotion as many approached the beached ship. For the moment he just dove back into the water, he had to reach the few men that had fallen overboard before impact. Both he and Razulah brought in the two crewmen to shore and smiled at each other. They were safe and made it to Dragomir. Many repairs would be needed for the "Dragon". The ship would have to be drydocked yet they were here. He saw the Duchess stepping down from the "Misty Sea" and ran towards her. They had returned to the source of the drama that unfolded at Dragomir Mori.

4. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Ohhhh Boris! I am so glad you have made it. Then the blackness overtook my body due to the fear and all that had taken place. It caused me to begin to lose consciousness just as I reached for Boris.

5. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Boris caught Catherine as she stumbled towards him. He lifted her limp body and gently laid her down on the sand as her chamber maid hurried to their side. He motioned Razulah to come over who carried the Duchess to her towards her ship 20 meters from the crash site. Razulah nodded and made a motion with his face that nothing was seriously wrong with Catherine.

Boris looked at his beached ship and gathered his men. He was met by another man whom he did not know but who brought a crew with him. Together both crews tied the ship to some logs and began to pull it away from shore and further inland. This was hard work and several hours later the "Dragon" was secured and ready for repairs on the following day. The Captain of this crew and he assumed a ship as well brought out a bottle of rum and ripped the cock off it with his teeth. He took a deep swig and handed the bottle to Boris. His words were brief.

"Welcome back to Dragomir Captain Mondragon, I remember you from our battle with the Obsidians on the day the "Misti Sea" was christened. We will talk at sunrise. I will check on the Duchess and then retire for the night." The man gave a sharp military salute and headed towards the "Misti Sea".

Boris looked on wondering who this man was and returned the salute. He headed to his crew to thank them and to prepare them for what perils lay in their future and that of Dragomir Mori.

"Men, ye have made yer captain proud today. We survived the storm and will work on the "Dragon" at sunrise. There is much work to do and little time to waste. Set our bedrolls near the "Dragon" and I want two men two hour watches until the sun rises"

The crew snapped to attention and their battle shout was heard throughout the beach.

"One Ship, One Path, One Truth!!!!!".

He watched his crew settle in and prepare their two hour watches as they were accustomed to while at sea.

He walked to the edge of the water and gave thanks to the Sea Goddess, his words of gratitude were brief.

"Mother, I thank you for keeping us alive and allowing is to make it to Dragomir. I know the future is uncertain yet with you, my ancestral spirits and the men and women we will gather here we will prevail"

He took off his bloodied bandana and washed his face with the salt water. He looked upon the horizon and decided to sleep right there on the shore where he could feel the sound of the waves gently caressing his battered body.

As the first magenta hues of the sunrise awoke him he had a lucid vision of a stairway to the sky from Dragomir. For a brief seconds the conscious and unconscious merged and for those sublime moments he was lost in time.

Adam Crow, Elgarion, Mandalar and 9 others like this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Arkah rummaged through a bag he had plopped down behind a boulder and pulled out a small supply box filled with vials and plants. He took a green vial and downed it in one quick swig and put the box back into the bag. He raised his hood and mask and peeked over the top of the boulder.

“Sulfur ash” he whispered to himself, watching the deer graze around yellowish-grey dust in the grass. As he looked to the sky in search of something, he felt a slight breeze and tingling from the west. Arkah had become more attuned with the wind over time and could feel a storm building to the west.

But his attention was grabbed suddenly by tremors and a loud growl. The startled deer ran past him as he peeked over the rock just in time to see a large red dragon turn to look directly at him.

“Thats not a pit dragon!!!” Arkah screamed through his mask as the dragon took to the air. The wind began to gust from the east suddenly carrying Arkah rapidly westward as he fled, seirling around him to deflect a fireball fired at him from the territorial beasts massive maw.

“Haaaaaaaaattt!!” He ran carried on the wind twards the storm he hoped the dragon could not fly through as the dragon chased him for a great distance.

He had gained enough ground to hide beneath a old tree without the dragon seeing him but he could hear it sniffing around.

Arkah nervously fumbled through his bag and grabbed a scroll and read it by memory as a soft blue glow engulfed him and made him vanish.

Arkah found himself suddenly in a thunderstorm standing on a dock.

7. Sales101

Sales101 Avatar

The crew and I have been working endlessly preparing the ship for battle. I looked over the ship seeing the tired men and woman. I decided to finish the night with song and spirits. Stu Gotz cracked open a cask of wine, whiskey and ale. Yelled out to all to stop work and gather for some cheer. The night went long but rest was needed.

Stu Gotz was awaken to any icy chill and a sense that a great evil was approaching our town Dragomir Mori. My head was ringing to the high heavens. Stomach was ragging as if we had been in a hurricane. As I stumbled over to the nightstand. Hearing a lot of commotion and sounds of unrest. I made my way to the balcony. The horror of seeing such a great ship wrecked on our shores was startling and grave.

As I ran from the balcony to see what assistance could be given. I stepped forward, my foot landed on an empty bottle. With such force it threw me backwards and over the railing. I came crashing down into the cold sea.

I broke the surface of the ocean and to my surprise saw Arkah EMPstrike Standing there in a daze. The force of the splash and sound must have been so great that he felt like he was in a thunderstorm. He looked down with amazement. His eyes rolled with disbelief.

Arkah grabbed my hand pulled me up and off we ran to see what could be done.

Adam Crow, Elgarion, Mandalar and 8 others like this.
  8. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Yes, thank you my Lady, I feel much better now. The food and drink brought needed rest. As you know, we had had some very troubling days just past but I am sure the troubles are just beginning.
    We must have funerals for the three captains who were assassinated. My heart is still so heavy for one of those captain was the captain of my ship, Misti Sea. Boris is making those plans as we speak and we will arrange all he has requested.

I want you to also make special plans for the appointment of Boris to Admiral. It is strange, however, he has not answered my request yet to appoint him.
    I trust no other to be leader of Pirates Cove.

Well, today I must not think on this but must be ready for our captains funerals.

My lady, please tell me if I really saw this or just dreamed it. Last night when leaving Misti Sea I think I saw Boris with blood dripping from his face. He had a blood soaked bandana wrapped around his head. Please, check with Razulah to see if it was what I saw or perhaps it was a bad dream. As soon as you know come back to me with the news one way or the other.

After you find that for me please have breakfast laid out for the crew and for Boris. They must be very hungry after the work of placing the Dragon in it's place on shore in order to begin the massive repairs made when she crashed during the raging storm we had yesterday.

Please ask while you are with Razulah what they will need today for the funerals as well supplies needed for the repairs that will be made to Dragon.

I must sometime during this day make my recommendations to Boris for the search for pirates to captain the ships of those assassinated.

I remember in the past every time we had a terrible storm it was not long before a great battle would start. It would then not be long until many were dead and dying as we fought for Novians and her children. We must be ready if that is about to happen this time as well.

I am remembering the battle cry which Boris gave to us during the last great battle.
    Even those few words cry out like a great thunder:

"One Ship, One Path, One Truth!!!!"

Thank you for telling me about this very mysterious captain who along with his crew helped bring Dragon ashore and prop her up to be ready for the needed repairs. If you have any idea of who the captain was or even may be please inform either Boris or me. I wonder how they came to be here in the middle of a storm. Very strange indeed.

9. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Having just returned from his fishing expedition the night before, Paulie is woken from all of the ruckus. He steps out from the captains cabin, looks around with eyes squinted and shouts,

"Could y' all keep it dow-what the....?"
    *Rubs eyes*
    "Is that a ship on the beach?"

His head turns slightly as he hears a roar in the distance seemingly getting closer every second. Before he can even wipe the sand from his eyes, he's met with the same gust of wind that sent Arkah to the docks.

"D-D-D-DRAAAGONNN!!!!"

With just his breeches on, he scampers down to the gun ports and frantically dumps powder into one of the cannons. He stabs a fuse into the top of the cannon, rips a torch off the wall and lights the fuse. A loud "BOOM" shakes the earth around his ship and sends ripples through the water. The dragon startled flies up into the air and over the mountain top.

Paulie screams through the gun hole half out of his gourd, "WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!??!!"

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  10. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

The crew worked non stop through the night. The ship was stabilized and dry docked securely. Boris looked at his crew and felt the pride soar in them. They had not slept in 24 hours yet not one of them complained nor slouched at the task ahead.

"Men, I need you to rest, we will begin repairs in 4 hours, As soon as the sun rises I will awaken you, There is food and water on that table nearby. We must replenish our energy for the coming day".

The crew nodded and grabbed a plate with food along with a cup of water. They sat down in small conversation as Razulah appeared.

"Captain, we need to stitch up your forehead now before the cut gets infected".

"Aye, Razulah, we do it here". Boris grabbed a bottle of rum and poured it over his wound then took a deep swig. "Do what you need to do Razula".

Razulah was not only a fierce warrior but also a priest of the old primal magic and an excellent medic. His knowledge of herbs and potions saved many a life over their years on the ship together.

"One more ought to do it Captain". One thing Razulah was not good at was tying stitch knots and he knew it too.

"There ya go Captain, good as new, well almost. I am sure the ladies will not turn you down due to a little scar" Razulah smirked and both men laughed along with the nearby crew members who heard their conversation.

All had a good meal courtesy of Lady Catherine Rose. Boris looked at the steward who brought the food and thanked him as well as asking him about Lady Catherine's welfare. The steward nodded and told him she was sleeping soundly with a retinue of guards outside her bed chamber.

Boris was about to run in when he heard the commotion from the nearby dock, someone yelled "Dragon" and a cannon let loose a volley that landed in the water near the dock.

"Razulah, follow me with the crew, I think we are being attacked".

They ran to the dock expecting a battle yet found Arkah looking a bit shaken up along with another man he recognized from Twin Foothills. The name Stu Gotz came to his mind.

"Arkah, what happened to you, last I saw you was in that Battle of Aerie. I though you had perished and am glad you did not. We have a situation here in Dragomir."

A large blue dragon flew overhead and again the word "Dragon" was yelled out from a nearby ship.

"Do not fire on the blue dragon, he is with us and just patrolling the Dragomir Bay. Razulah, see if there is a haunch of meat available, I will feed him once he sees me alone far from the ones that do not know him"

Both men paled when they heard those words not knowing what to think. Boris turned to Arkah and Stu with a smile.

"His name is Marak. a gift from the Sea Goddess to watch our back when out at sea and in unfamiliar territory. He will not harm us".

Razulah approached Boris with the hauch of meat which he slung over his shoulder. Boris walked about 100 meters from where they were gathered and with a shrill noise called Marak. The large blued dragon landed next to him and as usual pressed his large head against Boris' chest. Boris rubber his head gently glad to see his old friend. He laid down the haunch of meat and sat next to the beast as it fed. He whispered at him.

My brother, my friend. Rest across the bay and come to me when there is danger or hunger. Again the large beast put his head on Boris' chest then backed a bit and was airborne flying over the frightened men. If you knew Marak you knew he was grinning to the men he had frightened.

Elgarion, Adam Crow, Mandalar and 8 others like this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Arkah looked at the blue dragon as he approached Boris, leaning in and wispering "uhhh, its good to see your well too but, i was just hunting wild pit dragons," He pointed at Marak and furled his brow a bit. "Is he gonna smell that on me?"

He looked at all the other men he did not recognize except the crew members who had rescued him from the ocean some time back and Stu, and then at the table of food. Everyone seemed pretty hungry and enjoying themselves.

"Whoah.." Arkh suddenly caught sight of the huge drydocked boat being repaired. "Did somone attack your ship? What kind of situation?"

12. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

"What is all the commotion outside?!"

Instead of sleeping in my room on the Misti Sea I had decided, due to the unrest over the assassination of three of our captains, one being my own father who was the captain of the Misti Sea, to be away from the bay for a few days where it is protected by more of my guards.

When I heard so much noise outside I ran from my castle to the edge of the cliff and saw many crew members of the ships and Dragomir residents running toward the bay and to the Pirate Cove area. Smoke was in the air and I found it hard to see due to the thickness of the smoke. It looked like we have been attacked but I do not hear any sounds of battle.
    As I raced toward the pirate ships I realized Boris was present but did not seem agitated or hurried but had a smile on his face. "What in the world has happened"? I wondered. As I got to the waters edge I saw that Marak, Boris's blue dragon, was enjoying a head rub and a moment of tenderness from Boris. I smiled. I saw something happened but it was not a battle.
    I always loved seeing the two of them together. Rather than beast and pirate they always seemed more like the bond of brothers.

There in a distance from Boris were Arkah and Stu. What are they doing?

"Stu and Arkah what has happened here. There was loud commotion and smoke all around but there does not seem to be a battle. Is anyone injured?"

Boris, I would like to speak with you about several important request and tasks.
    We must make arrangements for our captain's funerals today. Have you received all the needed supplies for these funerals? Have you decided the details yet?

I also have a request which I sent you a message concerning before the assassinations which you have not replied as yet. I requested that you accept my appointment to Admiral of Pirates Cove. After we have our captains honored I will be sending you another request and will at that time ask for your answer.

I am now on my way to the cloth makers in Aerie to purchase the black cloth to hang on each captains ship so that we will have it ready during the funerals. Please advise me if i need to purchase anything else while in Aerie.

Elgarion, Adam Crow, Mandalar and 7 others like this.
  13. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Boris looked at Catherine barking out orders and held back a smile due to the seriousness of the matter.

"Yes Lady Catherine, I have all the supplies I need and will also send Razulah out to Aerie for anything else that I need". He smiles as she walked away in fluster. Now he knew why he always wished to stay unattached. He walked over to Arkah and Stu quietly "Who was it blasting cannons, we got to be more careful during these times of mourning or bear the wrath of the Duchess. There is ale, rum and whiskey up the hill where the "Dragon" is drydocked so feel free to eat and drink as I must attend other matters. Oh by the way Arkah. all hell broke loose last night with the storm , my ship crashing onshore and the recent murders of three ship captains. Any help you can give us in this time of turmoil would be appreciated. Stu, we are going to need an honor guard and pall bearers for the funeral, I am not familiar with Dragomir Mori so any assistance from you would also be appreciated."

Boris walked toward the "Dragon" and met Razulah there who was in charge of the repair crew. He approached him and pulled him over to the side.

"Razulah, leave the senior crew member in charge of the repair. I have something for you to help me with."

Razulah approached the assistant quartermaster and gave him instructions then turned over to Boris.

"Captain, what can I help with"

"Razulah, go see the quartermaster and have him give you 200 thousand gold coins, I need you to give 50 thousand gold coins to each widow and the last 50 thousand to be given in equal shares to any other widows, orphans or needy folks here and in Aerie. I also need you to ensure we have blue roses for the caskets and white roses for the widows at the time of the funeral procession. I will go inside and prepare the Eulogy as best I can."

Razulah nodded and went about the task ahead while Boris stepped to the top of the Drydocked "Dragon" he needed to collect his thoughts and prepare an Eulogy fit for three captains. He felt the loss of each one of those widows as pirates are family both on land and out at sea. He was lost in his memories of times past and crew members he had also lost in his travels, adventures and battles.

Elgarion, Adam Crow, Mandalar and 7 others like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Arkah just stood and watched as Cathrine walked through the men half panicked asking what happened. he barely lifted a hand to say hi to her when she startled him with a sharp question, "Stu and Arkah what has happened here. There was loud commotion and smoke all around but there does not seem to be a battle. Is anyone injured?"

Arkah silently shrugged and pointed at Stu (@Sales101 ) with a brow raised in confusion.

Arkah could see Boris' attempt to hold bakc a smirk as Cathrine walked quickly away from him. She was clearly concerned with something.

Boris approached Arkah and quietly warned, "Who was it blasting cannons, we got to be more careful during these times of mourning or bear the wrath of the Duchess."
    Again, Arkah raised his brow in innocent confusion and pointed at Stu, afterwords remembering it wasnt actually Stu, then shrugged quickly instead.

Boris continued, "All hell broke loose last night with the storm , my ship crashing onshore and the recent murders of three ship captains. Any help you can give us in this time of turmoil would be appreciated." The crashed ship seemed innocent enough, to Arkah, but the murders of captains? That sounds like a plotted attack. Boris turned to address Stu, and Arkah walked along the dock and pondered for a moment.

Arkah turned to Boris, "I may have some lumber and wax in the hole beneath my lab. If it will help with repairs i will Run and grab it." He reached into his backpack to pull out some troll spare ribs to add to the table after takign a bite of it himself.

15. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Paulie leaps from deck of his ship on to the beach. He digs his toes into the sand for a minute as he gets his wits about him. "It was me. I shot the cannon. I just returned recently and I'm still on edge from my travels the past few months. When I saw the clipper on shore and felt that beast breathing down my neck I just reacted. I should have known better keeping in mind where I am, but it's also why I'm still alive to this day."

Paulie turns to Stu, "Good to see you my friend! It's been a while aye? I'm glad to see you're doing well for yourself! However, did I hear right? There's been an attack on Dragomir and its residents?"

Paulie looks out of the corner of his eye at Arkah and thinks to himself, "I know this guy. We've met in passing many times before and he's been in Novia as long as I have if not longer." "Well met again, Arkah! What brings you Dragomir? By what I've overheard, I'm assuming whatever it is isn't good."

A presence lingering behind him grabs Paulies attention, he quickly snaps around and shouts, "I just said i'm on edge! You can't be sneaking up on people like that! Didn't you see what happens when you sneak up on someone who is on edge!?!?!"

Paulie composes himself, "Forgive me, where are my manners. Boris is it? Well met, sir. I overheard that the dragon is a friend of yours, I offer my sincerest apologies as I meant no ill will, I just wanted to be as far away from that things mouth as possible." Paulie peers over Boris' shoulder. "Is that Lady Catherine? She looks upset... And you were the last person to speak with her. What exactly did you say? And why is your boat half way into the town? What in Novia is going on around here?! Someone better do some explaining before I start kicking sand all over the place!" Paulie storms off still confused and agitated to speak with the locals for more information.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  16. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Boris and Crew, Paulie, Stu and Arkah I gathered you all here this afternoon for we are experiencing a grave crisis in our land which has come again to our shores.

Dragomir has not had this kind of crisis since last year when the Cabalist arrived on her shore when we were christening the Misti Sea. Even then there have not been any assassinations on Dragomir shores since Greggori Dragomir, my late husband, died during that great battle. We knew Boris for years before Greggori died so I knew he would come when he was needed. Last year when Boris arrived he came close to death by poison from three daggers. He recovered and our beloved Novia was at peace for a short time.

Dragomir Mori has been attacked with evil and treacherous tactics recently when three of her pirate captains were assassinated.
    You may not realize as yet that one of the captains who was assassinated was my own father. He was captain of my ship the Misti Sea.
    We will be having the funerals of our captains within a few days once all who have been requested to be here arrive and all the arrangements have been finalized.

Crew members, when I asked Boris to please come quickly. He did. Due to the raging sea he crashed his ship, Dragon, against the rocks protecting the port of Dragomir.

Pirates have been asked to come and to be ready for when we have another great battle. I think it will be an even greater one than we have had before. Ships have begun to make their way here and many others will come over the next weeks.

I welcome each of you to Dragomir and I hope you will make your home in the Port of Dragomir. Thank you for your quick response and your speed in making the Dragon's repairs. I know that all of you along with Boris are building a place, Pirates Cove Taverns which will be finished soon, for all of us to rest, to party and to find food and drink in Pirates Cove.

We will have a scout out soon to search for clues as to who assassinated our captains. It is my desire that all you and others around Novia keep your eyes and ears open for we must find the assasin or assasins. They will pay their deeds.!
    Residents you will have protection. We will be prepared for battle. We will have peace again.

"One Ship, One Path, One Truth!"

Arkak, Stu and Paulie please meet me now at the clock, in front of your ship Paulie. "

Thank you. As you know this is a crisis Dragomir has not known since last December when we fought the Cabalist in order to christen the Misti Sea. This challenge will be great one for all who are able to fight for our Dragomir. I am asking the three of you to enlist others in our town as well as anywhere there may be strong bodies to help us fight for our freedom. I need your help with these preparations we need to make as well as in the manpower to help carry out these preparations. The ships will need crews, the docks will need protections, the shores will need watchers and the hills surrounding Dragomir will need guards. All of these avatars will need to prepare their armor for battle. They will need you in these preparations.

At that Duchess CatherineRose turned and left for the castle on the hill.

17. Trinity

Trinity Avatar

Captains log of The Tempest:
    Wodnesdai Septembre 11, Somur
    The red sky emerging with the rise of the sun reminds me of the old sailor saying:
    Red sky at morning, sailors take warning!
    The calm night sky is only a reprieve for a few hours before the stormy sea erupts again.
    The crew has had small snatches of sleep for five days of storms and rough seas and is resting below deck during this lull for a much needed rest. I’m at the helm so they can recover from the toil of sailing during the daily storms.

As always, the captain is the last to rest.
    The captain never truly sleeps when on the sea.
    My life is my ship and rest comes when she is in harbor.

Trinity
    Captain of The Tempest

⁂ ‿⁀‿ ※ ‿⁀‿ ⁂ ‿⁀‿ ※ ‿⁀‿ ⁂ ‿⁀‿ ※ ‿⁀‿ ⁂

As I sign the ships log, I see a white bird in the distance.
    I remember two of the superstitions that pirates say about birds.
    “Seabirds carry the souls of dead sailors to their final resting place”
    “It is a sign of good luck to see a bird this far out at sea.”

The Tempest could use some good luck.
    All though these are just superstitions I believe them.
    I will do whatever it takes to keep my ship and crew safe.
    As the bird gets closer I recognize it.
    It is Snow, from my friend CatherineRose.
    I call it to me and Snow lands. I see it has a note attached.

“My dear friend, please come to Dragomir Mori.
    I need your help, my father and two other captains were murdered.
    When you arrive, I have marked your dock with 3 torches.

I have another request of you when you arrive."

I wrote a message, tied it to Snow and released it into the wind to return to the Duchess.

"I have set sail for Dragomir Mori.
    The Tempest will arrive as quickly as favorable winds allow.”
    Trinity

Peg, the quartermaster is in his cabin below.
    Peg is only a nickname I gave him.
    (but that is a story for another day)

Trinity shouted to the sleeping quartermaster.

“Peg, assemble the crew, set the mizzenmast and come about!”

White clouds skated across the clear blue sky, a fresh breeze blew from the north, in minutes
    The Tempest was under full sail.

“Course north by northeast!”

Trinity spun the wheel, turning The Tempest into the wind toward Dragomir Mori.

⁂ ‿⁀‿ ※ ‿⁀‿ ⁂ ‿⁀‿ ※ ‿⁀‿ ⁂ ‿⁀‿ ※ ‿⁀‿ ⁂

I wonder what the request could be?
    "I have another request of you when you arrive."

To be continued…

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  18. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

"They say news travels fast... but bad news travels faster" Prince Cthrek'Goru Tazar said to the young messenger who had just delivered a report. Turning away, Tazar spent a long time at the cliff top of Falling Waters Fortress staring out at the sea. Though the night was clear, waves crashed against the shore below and flashes of lightning could be seen off on the horizon, as if refleactions of a distant battle being fought. The distant thunder echoed from the cliffs.

After a while, Tazar turned back to the messenger and tossed him a Gold Crown. "Please go to the city below and ask Guard Captain Flair Minamoto to report to the castle, for decisions must be made. Fleet Admiral Robert Frost and Lord Trokip McLarren will also be needed. Deliver my summons with all possible haste.

In less than an hour, the three sat in Council with the Prince to discuss the events at Dragomir Mori. Sides were quickly taken with Captain Minamoto speaking of an aggressive strike on the Cultists, but a strike where, as their lair remained unknown. Lord McLarren looked to the defense of the homeland and desired to build up arms and the fortifications of Falling Waters. Admiral Frost wanted to seek aid from allied towns in the surrounding area to work together for the mutual defense of Regalis. For a long time, the Prince listened as his three trusted advisors debated their proposed courses of action.

"But what of Dragomir Mori" said Prince Tazar in a quiet voice. "The Fortress of Falling Waters is well defended and our allies in the area are strong. Should we abandon a Duchess of the Realm in a time of need?" Silence fell over the room as the three knew the Lord of the Manor had reached a decision.

"Captain Minamoto, your duty has always been the defense of Falling Waters Fortress and our sister city of Flowing Waters Forest. Flowing Waters is the more vulnerable so keep a wary eye and evacuate the citizens to the Palace there should a threat appear on the horizon."

"Lord McLarren, you shall oversee the mustering of our troops and the requisitioning of supplies for a journey. See to foods, weapons, armor and spare no expense. Our people must be properly equipped and ready to fight."

"Admiral Frost, prepare the fleet. We shall leave two ships here to aid in the defense of our homeland and the remaining five ships shall set sail with the morning tide to the aid of Dragomir Mori. I shall sail as well upon the flagship, the Drunken Whale".

"Get moving gentlemen, for time is short. We can rest once we have set sail."

As Captain Minamoto and Lord McLarren hastened to depart, Admiral Frost held back with a twinkle in his eye. "My Lord", he said, "As the end of the season approaches, the people have labored on a surprise for you which I have not spoken of yet, but I now see a need to reveal it early." Seeing a questioning look from his Lord, the Admiral continued: "For many months, our shipwrights have been at work in the cove in Flowing Waters building a new flagship to serve our twin cities. She is a true beauty and half again larger than the Drunken Whale. We would have to finish detail work at sea, but she is seaworthy now and only needs christening. She bears your personal crest of the double-dragons. Shall we add her to the fleet?"

With a broad smile, Tazar wrapped his cloak around him, and said "We shall have to see this new beauty right away. If ye have the men and provisions, and if she is really ready to sail, we might have to rush the christening."

"Hold firm Lady", he thought to himself. "We are coming".

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Arkah dug around in his bag for a bit and layed out soem tools and wood and a bit of pine resin. "This is all i got to help with at the moment, I reckon ill head outside town and have a look around. Maybe gather some herbs and meat."

_________

Out in the wilds, in which he had spent alot of time lately, Arkah found a patch of Garlic amongst a herd of doe. It's like the world knew what he was after and gifted it in one convenient location. Arkah also found some Shepard dogs tending a herd of cattle. This livestock was somone's livelyhood so he had no intention of harvesting them, but the protective dog didnt know any better. Arkah gave a quick and precise thump with the hilt of his dagger to the base of the dog's skull and left the animal stunned as he gathered more herbs from the area. Better than being bitten, and the dog would be fine.

Arkah returned to Dragomir Mori with a large sack and left it for Catherine. He also carefully scanned the skies to ensure marak was nto around to smell it...or be offended.

20. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Sitting here in this small quiet moment my thoughts once again contemplate all that has taken place these last few weeks. I can't help but hear concern in the whispering voice speaking in my head. Will this all be known by avatars in time to stop what could be a great and mighty war? Will there be enough strength in those who come and those who fight to stop all the casualties? Will Dragomir Mori survive? Will there be peace again in my beloved town?

It is good we have begun receiving information about who could have been the assassin who killed my three captains here in Dragomir. Their funerals will be very soon. My heart aches that they are no longer with us. I have left my father's captain's quarters, on the Misti Sea, as it was when he was murdered. He was a good captain and I want him to be remembered. There will be no other captain of the Misti Sea until the assassin is known.

I have begun to make a list of all those who will participate from those who grow the food we will eat, the hunters who will kill the meats we will eat and the fishermen who catch the fish we will eat. There will be many called on to be guards and fighters and many pirates here in the area of Pirate Cove on the ships where their lively hood is derived. I am just so thankful that my pirate friend, Boris, of many years has come. His presents brings a greater calm than would be if he were not here. There are so many who are willing to give their very life to protect not just Dragomir or to avenge her due to the assassinations of her captains but to prevent the evil Obsidians from taking a stronghold across Novia.

I have received word from various friends around Novia. One such friend is Trinity. I have not seen her face since we were children. We often message each other and have kept touch all during these years. She will be here with her ship at the entrance to Dragomir Bay. She will remain for a time away from the rest of the pirate ships until there is acceptance that she is a worthy captain of her ship The Tempest and no superstition follows her to make all the other captains uneasy.

I have also heard from my great friend, Tazar, whom I have not seen in several years. He is coming to assist in any way he can. His duties as the Prince of Falling Waters keeps him from traveling as much as he would like. However, he said " in this crisis I will be ready to assist the Duchess CatherineRose." His word is greatly appreciated.

"Snow", it is time we get some sleep. Come and let me pet your sweet, soft feathers. Your perch has been prepared for your nights rest. Thank you My Lady for making our beds inviting tonight just as you do most all other nights. What welcome rest this will be!

"Good night Snow. See you at first light."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.