QoL improvement possibility?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

I believe this has been raised many many times throughout the years. I think these should be simple to do. But is it feasible?

1. Localised quest info.

For a new player who's pretty lost after getting out of outskirts. He reaches Resolute. The first person he sees is the Guard who's name I've never asked until recently.

Can the guard also direct him to the local tavern? I believe most of the quest info (for the South Paladis region in this example) should have some form of a direction from there? So a player who doesn't know what to do next will know to always head to the nearest tavern for clues. Kinda an obvious place to start if a player doesn't know what to do next.

Gossips are often told in bars and taverns, why not have these npc at the taverns directing players to the quest givers. Like the barmaid can tell you to talk to Milde who's looking sad. The bartender can hint to you about courage club etc…. These info need not be updated to quest journals or log books. Just a simple sentence to hint to players to look for a certain npc who is usually at a certain location. And when all quest lines in the region is cleared, have the npc suggest to the player to visit other major towns. "Things have gotten peaceful from all that you have done. We thank you outlander. I heard rumours that Aerie requires heroes like you. Why not make a trip there?"

I don’t think it takes too much work to do these. We can start really small with just Resolute. (Aerie and Ardoris will come later)

2. A town crier that throws up random info.

For a lazy player like me, sometimes I just wish someone would suggest to me what I could do.

So when speaking to a town crier. Everyday, he could give up to 3 suggestions.
    (And this suggestions can be a list of suggestions stored in a database that are given by players, like those transition scene quotes.)

Typing the word 'suggestion' to town crier can give player suggestions like.

“Go Elysium and mine some silver”

“Feeling adventurous? Try the Fall?

“You should mail 10 rusty spoon to ATOS. Might win a prize.”

Perhaps the devs can add this functionality to servants to. Talk to the servant and he will suggest what you can do next.

Start simple. We can later categorize to various lands, and or by adventurer level later.

3. Informing players about new updates in the monthly releases. Not everyone read release notes.

With every release, we can add “Have you heard?” to the Town Crier to inform players of the new stuff. (or even patches)

“Have you tried Lava Fishing? Its awesome!”
    “New Teleport Scrolls. Have you learned about it yet?”

There could be many others. But I would like to have these low hanging fruit done first. Give players some guidance, especially new players.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

ROFL!! Thank you for planting that idea.

Dawgs of War, Amelli, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

I d0n't want to be a ****, but how do you know how much work it takes ? Are you a Unity developer ? Have you worked on Sota's code base ?

Do you know what their current Agile priorities are ? I really question when people say this kind of thing without knowing deeply what's involved.

I agree that many improvements need to be made, especially with regard to getting better rumors, more random rumors from town criers.

I just think that the quest system is a mess atm and it's more than likely nothing is going to happen until it's redone, which we know isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Maybe middle of next year ? Maybe ? Got to get fishing, existing bugs, new player towns, new quests, the R2 storyline, many many other things done and completed first.

Rentier likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Avatar

Yes, maybe you are right. Hence my question in the very first line. Is it feasible?

How much work does it take? I don't know. Its for the developers to reply. All the tech is there. Its just dialogue. Why should it even involve code base?

What's their current Agile priorities? If the priority is about removing colored cotos and automatic redemption of bank rewards which no one really cares for.... I really don't know what to say.

Free to play is here. Is there a population explosion? I am asking for better player guidance to be done if it can be done easily and nothing more.

I apologize if I sound like I am demanding. I am merely asking, especially, to layman like me, it doesn't seem to be a difficult task.

@Sannio , is it really that difficult to do the above?

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, you can get a kind of idea from the public Standups they do what their priorities are. Which is cool of them to share. Although it also leads to alot of rumors as well.

I doubt they'll reply here (although it would be awesome if they did) because engaging with the public this way is probably against company policy or at the very least, it might not be the best idea.

I mainly only see them comment on issues or bugs they're trying to fix. Or when they're banning or removing posts :)

Is there a population explosion ? Apparently there are a lot of new players. The chat on Universe indicates to me there are new players.

The steam numbers show that the population of the game is essentially the same it's always been which is rather low, to be fair. (~150-300 players concurrently)

Even if you accept the fact that "most" don't use steam, which I really don't, it's still low compared with other popular steam MMO games.

The other metric I have is that I have seen the game busier than it is now. Quite alot more UT groups, more overworld people, more people in scenes, more people online on friends lists, and A LOT more activity in these forums.

Also, I know that the people playing now are a different batch from who played earlier. I can tell that from the sad state of my friends list.

Hell, I know if I worked on SotA i would give these forums a wide, wide berth :)

One of the last things I'd probably want to do after working hard on a game all day is engage with players asking for features when I know that work would not be within my power to schedule, necessarily.

Or that it might be a long time until I got to it.

Just me tho.

I hope you get the answers you seek. Maybe ask in the next livestream if you don't get joy here.

Nick likes this.
  6. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Great ideas. I think I would probably utilize all of them and they could be especially helpful to new players. I think interaction with the game itself is always important.

Maybe they can implement something like this when they're redesigning the new quest system.

Synergy Blaize, Nick and Amelli like this.
  7. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Ah - with localized you do not mean translated for non English speaking players ...

8. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

9. Nick

Nick Avatar

Nope. Just means quests within the same region. Don't need hints at Resolute to nudge you to go Ardoris. Of course, it needs to be translated too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.