Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fishing % chance is bugged.

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by kaeshiva, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm at level 125 in lava fishing and I have never seen over 53% chance in lava.
    Tried with/without lava rod
    With/without lava rod I'm still maxing out at 53%
    Tried with/without pax ring

I'm standing next to people who have just unlocked the skill, who are reporting 90+% chance in lava.
    Experienced something similar in freshwater the other day, thought it was just anecdotal, but something is clearly wrong here.

Raising my lava fishing DID up my chance, so it is correctly making it "better" but for some reason, it caps out at 52% (lvl 125!) and people with level 13 are getting 90+.

Please investigate, something is clearly wrong here or something else is affecting chances. I've spent enough hours doing this that -never- seeing above 53 is not just bad luck or fishing same spot, something's clearly not working here and my character is for some reason, an extremely poor fishermen despite significant xp investment.

For reference, I have everything in the fishing tree at gm + and most of it at 120.

I've tried doing this naked in case some piece of gear is inexplicably giving me negative fishing.
    I'm stumped, and a bit irritated at this point, considering the xp expenditure.

12/16/2018 21:50

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 32619
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GPU RAM: 2988
    SotA.Win.64.884.Date.12.14.18
    Area: Novia_R6_Volcanic01_02
    Area Display Name: Oracle Colossus
    Loc: (-29.7, 67.3, -20.4)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjZfVm9sY2FuaWMwMV8wMnx8KC0yOS43MTQsIDY3LjMyNywgLTIwLjQxNSl8KDAsIDAuMjg5LCAwLCAtMC45NTcpfDI4Ny40MjA1fDI5LjY4MjR8MTAuNDE1Nzk=

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    FrostII, margaritte and Traveller13 like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

A poll of various fishing persons who were fishing with me reports about 75% of people are getting really high % (with little to no skill investment, same gear, same bait) but a few, like me, are getting very very low %s. Over many tries, in fresh spots, etc. So it isn't just me, but its not everyone. lol. Happy to help test this if need be.

FrostII and margaritte like this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

4. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Interesting. I'll add that the highest I've seen is 56% for myself-- level 120 in lava fishing.

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I've tried with and without the devotionals - makes no difference.
    I even bumped base fishing from 100-110 (honestly, the base fishing skill doesn't seem to do anything, so didn't expect the devotional to do so?) But as predicted, nothing happens. And even if it were the devotional...."+5 fishing" shouldn't be equivalent to what, 150 levels in the skills? lol

FrostII and Alley Oop like this.
  6. brogan

brogan Avatar

I would say it's the devotional. I was fishing one night with 80%+ often, then when I logged in the next day it was half of that. Someone suggested it was the devotional, so I went and got the +5 Fishing devotional blessing, I was immediately seeing those 80%+ casts again.

The +5 Fishing Bonus does not scale your fishing the same way that the Fishing skills do. The difference it makes is absolutely crazy!

7. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

The fishing devotional did it for me. +4 to fishing and 97% max fishing chance so far.

8. Alley Oop

i saw discussion of it thursday and thought i saw someone mention having discussed it with chris, but cannot find that mention now. nonetheless, if the devotional were the only factor kaeshiva would be getting the high numbers now too, so there's something additional going on.

FrostII likes this.
  9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'll test it again with Lava ...I think I only tested the devotional with the freshwater issue I was having the previous day and it didn't help. I can cede the possibility that it "not helping" could possibly be anecdotal, as fishing success seems to have a very wide rng and is affected by location of casts etc. Perhaps just unlucky in that regard.

The consistent 53% or less in lava has been without the devotional. If this is the case, Id suggest that if the devotional makes a more significant than 100 levels in the skill, that its likely a bug lol. If not, then the new fishing skills are pretty pointless to raise lol.

I'll get some more data points tomorrow.

FrostII likes this.
  10. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I did find an issue where in some cases the fishing level increase from the devotional could increase chances more than intended.

Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  11. Alley Oop

that's not the only problem: i deliberately did not get the blessing today and still start with 90's often

Jaesun likes this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, the post above was from last Monday.
    Over the past days (from Tuesday to now), I've not seen any cast (fresh, fetid, lava) with more than a 70% chance, and that was only once.
    This is with 107 base fishing, and with the +5 buff. +80 in all 3 waters, +101 lava fishin

13. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

It would be interesting to know the math behind the percentages. After 200 casts in Oracle Colossus tonight/this morning, my highest percentage was 57.

Skill levels:
    Fishing: 120
    Fetid/Fresh/Salt: each 100
    Lava: 120

Using lava rods with bronze, gold and silver engravings (70, 70, 60 casts, respectively). All were +10 to lava fishing, with +3 and +5 fishing skill for the gold and bronze, and +2% critical for the silver). I had the +4 fishing blessing. The bonus to the fishing skill should only add distance to the casts, if true to the fishing skill description.

So, I should have been effectively lava 130 for the session. Again with 57% being the maximum chance.

FrostII likes this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hey @Traveller13
    If you get a chance, go to one of the other "waters" and see what your highest % is.

15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah this got 'fixed' - the blessing was adding more success than like 200 skill would. 57% is effectively what I've capped out at at lvl 125 lava fishing, and 70ish %s in other waters with 120s in those skills. The blessing appears to do absolutely nothing now, which is probably as intended, since 'base fishing' only adds cast distance, and not a noticeable amount.

I used the obsidian unlearning thing to drop all fishing back down to gm, as it seems there is very little benefit for the amount of xp needed, with the RNG on fishing being what it is.

Jaesun and FrostII like this.
  16. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I did a short sting in Fishing Expedition. Highest chance was 80% with a pale leech in the hot spot just off the port bow of the ship.

FrostII likes this.
  17. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I spent 29 million XP's to raise Lava Fishing from 120 to 136. I did a short, 60 cast, stint in Oracle Colossus. The highest chance I had was 60%. That was with a lava fishing pole, which should mean effective lava fishing of 146.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    FrostII likes this.
  18. Feldon Grimshaw

Feldon Grimshaw Avatar

i am seeing the same. my max lava fishing has been 51% (i have lava fishing level of 105 currently). When i first started lava fishing and was just training up the skill, i would sometimes get up to 97%. I always use the pool blessings when i go fishing. i'm also using the lava rod with true bronze engravings, and a mixture of gemmed/heavy gemmed lures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.