Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

RARE FISH drop rates - ridiculously LOW

Discussion in 'Release 61 Feedback' started by Elrond, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Been spending last few days fishing and i must say the drop rates for the rare fish are very low . You can spend hours upon hours and barely get 1 rare fish which you can butcher for 3 slices and make 1 food which sells for 10k gold. As usuall the rest of the fish if its not rare its just not very usefull..just something to fill chest with... make fish meaningfull even if its common or uncommon.

The baits

I caught more blood leeches with minnows then with other leeches -- Seriously.

I been testing around baits apparently Pale leeches give 1 blood leech every 100-200 casts . THATS ALOT of CASTS for 1 blood leech that doesnt do much.

Drudge leeches give 1 blood leech every 50 - 100 casts.

Blood Leech - dont expect to catch any shark with those they may be rare and they may have a large bonus but its all just writing.

[​IMG]

Here are some casts i did with the super rare infamous blood leeches ...lets count the sharks

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Apparently these leeches are so rare not even the sharks would touch them .. LARGE BONUS for ?

So how are we suppose to create a market for these rare foods if all we can catch is 1 rare fish and make 2 foods / day ??

I hope you will separate the rare food fish from the rare fish trophies ..and increase drop chance for the first category. For those who wish to gain a trophy they can fish trophy shark on current drop rates ..and those who fish for food they can fish food shark at higher drop rates this way you can increase drop rates for the food and keep trophy fish special and rare.

Make fishing more fun less frustrating.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They just want to make sure that it's plenty grindy for you.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Oh i know.... And im also pretty sure the drop rates will be increased eventually ... im just hoping to skip the 6 month wait time till it happens.

Jaesun, Datendrache2 and Barugon like this.
  4. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I have the following after approximately 1100 casts in lava:

282 Anomalocaris
    82 Ammonite
    1 Large Ammonite
    1 Small Dunkleosteus

About 600 casts were done to bring the lava fishing skill up to 120. Ten lava rods were used, with no repairs. About 100 additional casts were done with the Fishing Rod of Prosperity. The fishing buff from Fortus End was the only buff in effect, and that was for the last 400 or so casts. A combination of gem and heavy gem lures were used. I fished primarily in Oracle Colossus, though spent some time in Sunless Barrens. I performed the self sacrifice in both locations. I received my two rares just after midnight my time (US EST), in Oracle Colossus.

Gaelis likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I would rather themstay rare like they are for the excitmentbut just yield alot more meat

Weins201 likes this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i have noticed a reduction in trophy fish this release, but also a reduction in abandoned accessories

7. Omegaflux

Omegaflux Avatar

I will be happy as long as items work as described; otherwise it is somewhat offensive if there is no justifiable reason behind it such as an update broke the mechanics ect. The majority of this game's player base is too intelligent to allow these discrepancies to persist.

In regards to lava lures: Was there ever an explanation on why a "Gemmed" and a "Heavy Gemmed" lure when there is no clearly indicated difference except in material cost and crafting output? Is the Heavy suppose to be more durable in a follow on patch or something of the sort?

8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I share your frustrations with the fishing system.
    The RNG is just far too random for it to be a lucrative use of one's time.
    I get making things rare for trophies - but when you start adding a desirable food recipe into the mix...well, lets say in all the fishing I've done since fishing changes, I've gotten exactly 3 fish that would have made the new food. And I've done a lot of fishing. I've gotten zero sailfish, zero marlins, zero sharks, zero sturgeons, zero anything interesting except a couple of pike and a bluefin tuna. I have thousands of all the common fish and I've just started vendoring them. Don't even get me started on the cloth boots.

In planting/cycling 2000 crops every 2 days, I have gotten a grand total of 2 earthworms. If they're like other "rare" bait, I'll catch cloth boots with them.

The system certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

I used 100 hoppers the other day and saw absolutely no difference between fishing with those and with minnows.
    If you're going to make the bait rare, it should have some sort of noticeable effect.
    If you're going to make the fish rare, by my count, catching a shark is less than 1 in 10,000 chance ....then nobody in their right mind is going to cook it and eat it for a 4 hr buff.
    It would make more sense for the 'uncommon' fish, which you might get a half dozen of in a few hours, to be the eating-fish.
    If not then....chances need to be bumped up CONSIDERABLY - even link it to skill level or something - but fishing's quickly getting to be one of those "don't bother" things and honestly the game has enough of that.

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Fishing could actually be a viable skill, if only you could catch something actually useful.

I do get the point of them being rare, but then being beyond rare seems rather pointless.

10. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

This is pretty much the same for all systems in the game.

They design these things as if people are more interested in statistical probabilities rather than entertainment.

Loot

You can kill something for 10 days straight and get nothing. After 100,000 kills, it averages out.

Guess what. Few people are going to wait for it to average out.

Most people will just say screw it.

Gathering / Crafting

What is the point of 95% chance to harvest etc? Does this add absolutely anything to the game other than wasting someones time?

Combat

Chain lightning has a 70% chance to stun. What good is this when the stuns occur when the mob is almost dead?

You should be able to stun when it is important. Like to interrupt a heal or to stop a nuke being cast.

You need some RNG but the way our systems are designed is crap.

As far as the fish, they could try something more along the lines of what they did with the hopper.

If you fish in the middle of a lake or ocean, your chances are more random.

But you should also be able to fish a certain river with a certain bait at a certain time of year to catch a certain type of fish because they are on their yearly migration to lay eggs or whatever.

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The reason this is so low, is probably to stop the people who will (and they will) find a way to exploit the crap out of this.

Much like brewing.

Elwyn likes this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I like how rare they are, i seem to get on average 1 rare fish a day. Seems on par with phoenix talon except anyone can do it. I use that as a comparison, because this fish stuff is better than the 8 hour foods.

The only difference besides difficulty is a phoenix talon gives you 8 plates of food. (That plus you know what youre getting.)

Rare fish give you 2 to 4 plates. THATS what needs to change. If you make them less rare its gonna kill the excitment of finding them.

So they need to give 2 to 3x more fillets than they do now and there need to be ways (bait, time of year/day etc) to target specific fish. Atm id be satisfied with them just giving more meat and save the special bait/time stuff for a future fishing expansion.

And make some unique dish for thebluefin tunas and king salmon

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    By Tor, Synergy Blaize and Hazard like this.
  13. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Oracle Colossus
    600 casts
    52 Ammonites
    120 Anomalocaris
    1 Dunkleosteus
    1 Large Ammonite

Oracle Colossus
    200 casts
    14 Ammonites
    56 Anomalocaris

Sunless Barrens
    Casts-- several hundred (from Lava Fishing level 120 to 136) using gemmed lures
    41 Sulfurous Ash
    21 Ammonites
    87 Anomalocaris

Oracle Colossus
    400 casts with lava rod and lava fishing at 136, using heavy gemmed lures
    44 Ammonites
    94 Anomalocaris
    1 Large Ammonites

Elwyn and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.