Remember when folks baught a video game to play it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Dec 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Seem kinda like those days have come and gone. I remember being excited about a game comming out. Just the game

2. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Yeah. I still do that. Then again, I'm old school.

3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I remember zelda 64 coming out and unwrapping the cartridge on christmas. Good ol days.

5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

More like do you remember renting games and playing them for 40 hours straight to beat it before it had to go back.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

We had a rental store where you could play the games inside the store

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I remember buying games because they were wildly popular and then forcing myself to play them for ages, hoping that I would start enjoying them at some point. The original Bard’s Tale was one of those games. I didn’t enjoy it at all but kept playing it for the longest time just because I knew it was supposed to be fun.

Then there were games I didn’t enjoy like Ultima VIII that I kept starting over and over because it was the newest game of a series that I loved and I really wanted to like it but I couldn’t even force myself to get past the very beginning. :confused:

I’m also reminded of the fun I had playing games on the C64 and Super Nintendo with my son who was in kindergarten. He used to do all the hard parts for me and protected me from harm. He also helped his sisters get past the hard parts in games like Super Mario Brothers or the similar Great Gianna Sisters. This is the same son who promised me he would play SotA with me (which is why I bought a second account) when the game was released but he never has because he works too much. :(

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  8. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

My dad unwrapped the radio shack pong console one Christmas when I was a kid...
    I unwrapped a c-64 hard drive in later years with glee... now I didn't have to swap disks sometimes :) YET:

I was so excited... I bought U6 when it came out in Electronics Boutique - 65 bucks plus tax o.0
    I worked at an EB later, and got UO free. Still had to pay the subscription, but wow those were great years

THE HENDOMAN

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I just baught megaman 11, and baught the megaman legacy collwction for nintendo switch for my daughter. Harkening back to those glory days

10. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

I remember playing Phantasie on my Comm. 64 from SSI. I could not stop playing. I loved everything that SSI did. Pool of Radiance was another later on. I did not want to go to work until I beat that game. Then when it was over, I could not wait for the next game Curse of the Azure Bonds. Those old SSI games were every bit as good as the old Ultima games. Maybe even better cause they were based on the old AD&D rule set. I would recommend those games even today. Here is the Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pool_of_Radiance.

11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Fondly recalls my Radio Shack Color Computer. It was a miracle! It came with 65 kilobytes of memory (more than anyone could possibly use) Until the 8 inch floppy drive (another miracle) came out, we programmed first in machine language, then assembly. The floppy allowed us to save our stuff and was really the very start of the gaming on home computers. Before having a home computer, we were able to buy the pong game to play on our TV sets. When the internet began (at 1500 baud) everyone was in heaven. UO was one of the first good games and one of my favorites. I was in heaven with Air warriors too. Sigh.... those were the days..... I am so happy I was able to live through them.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Did you like Wizard's Crown

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

At any rate, I remember when there were software stores like Egghead, Software Etc., Babbages. You would look at the back of the boxes to see if the games would be worth playing. And often I would find out that a new game was coming out because the software store would have a demo, or a promo video. So, I found out Serpent Isle was going to be coming out because the software store in the local mall was playing the intro cutscene from the game.

https://gallery.ultimacodex.com/richard-garriott-and-warren-spector-1992/

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Obsidian Tempest likes this.
  14. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

I don't think I played that game.

15. Cage Storm

Cage Storm Avatar

Star Raiders on the Atari 400, couldn't stop playing that game until I reached Ace. Cartridges were great. I did upgrade to an Atari 800 when that came out then the 1600 but by then cartridges had died a death, shame. Coded up a few of my own games before I got hooked on Uo and now SOTA.

Lord Trady of Blix and Hazard like this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I bought Pillars of Eternity II and I'm playing it.

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Old habits die hard :eek::D:p

Kara Brae likes this.
  18. Godra

Godra Avatar

I remember going to conventions and getting games and software!!!

19. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I purchased Ultima Online based solely on the 'are you with us' launch marketing poster in a standee at the front of the store. I inquired what the game was at the register and the sales associate told me not to waste my time on the 'dumbest idea for a game ever' and that 'All the monsters are dead and the gold is already gone.' I made the purchase anyway and found out he was ill informed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.